Miss Jessies curl bar in NYC

Miss Jessies products are garbage. Anybody who puts petroleum in a product and charges $50 is taking advantage. If they want to charge me $100 to do my hair and put some grease in it, they obviously are not going to take care of my hair in the long run. And I have no problem paying anyone who's going to take good care of my hair. Miss Jessies are not the ones to go to for that.

Ever since I joined this forum, folks have talked about how Miss Jessie's products are overpriced garbage. Years later, the the company is still thriving and growing, even as the competition increases. I've used almost every product in the line an they were all effective products that deliver what they advertise. I currently use their Super Slip sudsy shampoo as a staple.

Curly Meringue gave me the best braid outs, ever, even on relaxed hair. If the products don't work for you, that's fine, but to say a whole line is garbage because it's not within your personal budget is ridiculous.

Ever since I joined this forum, folks have talked about how Miss Jessie's products are overpriced garbage. Years later, the the company is still thriving and growing, even as the competition increases. I've used almost every product in the line an they were all effective products that deliver what they advertise. I currently use their Super Slip sudsy shampoo as a staple.

Curly Meringue gave me the best braid outs, ever, even on relaxed hair. If the products don't work for you, that's fine, but to say a whole line is garbage because it's not within your personal budget is ridiculous.

I have almost the entire line. And most of theirs works better than others that contain juices, berries, shea butter and the finest au naturale cambodian breastmilk. Guess my hair likes garbage too. *ye shrug*

It's not black salons trying to get over on black hair :nono:

It's salons trying to run a business. Here is a price list for a white salon in NYC

Braiding 1-2 braids$45
Shampoo & Braiding$65
Shampoo, Blow Dry & Braidingfrom $125
Braiding (with Clip-In Extensions)from $100

Conditioning treatments (Deep conditioner)
Shu Uemura Mask$15
Essential Cleansing Ceremony$50
Infusion Hair Beautifying Ceremony$75
Ultimate Shu Uemura Ceremony (includes blow dry)$150

Eyebrow Tweezing and Waxingfrom $65

That having been said.. I am born and bred in NYC.. I totally understand about high end salon prices. my issue is this " Curl Bar" is being advertised as an affordable alternative to the high end salon..I was actually excited then I clicked open the link to see $100 for a roller set!!

That having been said.. I am born and bred in NYC.. I totally understand about high end salon prices. my issue is this " Curl Bar" is being advertised as an affordable alternative to the high end salon..I was actually excited then I clicked open the link to see $100 for a roller set!!

Curious. How much to do you think they should charge you to shampoo, condition, set your hair on rollers and style your hair?

Looking at that menu of the high end salon I posted it would cost you a lot more than a $100 with them :yep: They are charging $45 for 1 braid! :lachen:

Since your in NYC, where type of location are they end? Are they in a high rent area or in the hood? Have you been inside? Are there holes in the walls or is the decor high end?

Curious. How much to do you think they should charge you to shampoo, condition, set your hair on rollers and style your hair?

Looking at that menu of the high end salon I posted it would cost you a lot more than a $100 with them :yep: They are charging $45 for 1 braid! :lachen:

Since your in NYC, where type of location are they end? Are they in a high rent area or in the hood? Have you been inside? Are there holes in the walls or is the decor high end?

Ummm huh? A roller set is one of the easiest and first things people learn in hair school. Those rollers can be put in in no more than 20 minutes. And that's pushing it depending on the stylist and amount of hair. Put the client under the dryer and take out the rollers. Comb the hair in place. Ta da!!! That'll be $100 plus a tip. Girl they are getting over, don't be suckered into thinking a roller set should EVER cost $100. :nono: It's usually the cheapest style at any salon.

Ummm huh? A roller set is one of the easiest and first things people learn in hair school. Those rollers can be put in in no more than 20 minutes. And that's pushing it depending on the stylist and amount of hair. Put the client under the dryer and take out the rollers. Comb the hair in place. Ta da!!! That'll be $100 plus a tip. Girl they are getting over, don't be suckered into thinking a roller set should EVER cost $100. :nono: It's usually the cheapest style at any salon.

So you get shampoo'd, conditioner, roller set and style in 20 minutes? Hair length and detangling doesnt matter uh? So apl-wsl hair, natural, 4a-4b, can be done in 20 minutes? Girl, keep going where you going because they are rare.

I used to go to phytouniverse in midtown manhattan and those prices....lets not even talk about it. this miss jessies looks resonable to me considering i've seen ladies who have left the place looking AMAZING. Maybe i'd schedule an appt for a special occasion, but I am trying to learn to do my own hair, that's part of this journey for me. So while I couldn't see myself going there every week, I might try it one time. I am sure these are time consuming processes, getting hair extensions are about $100 too. You are paying for the stylists time and a portion of the rent. It's all supply and demand. I am sure they could charge even more in a location where there are NO natural salons. When I lived in SoCal it wasn't uncommon to see box braids for $200. Supply and demand.

I have almost the entire line. And most of theirs works better than others that contain juices, berries, shea butter and the finest au naturale cambodian breastmilk. Guess my hair likes garbage too. *ye shrug*

keelioness

I've quoted the ladies who have used their products/services. Maybe @/quote them and ask them what they liked about it or why they are charging those prices.

My Friend reread the OP.. This wasn't about their products and none of the above have actually been to the salon. They probably do phenomenal hair. My problem is advertising this salon as affordable. I don't expect them to charge $20 for a rollerset like the Dominican salons that are a couple of miles further up town.. but $100 is not an " affordable" alternative.

I have not purchased their products because they are too expensive considering the ingredients are cheap. I do agree that for some of the services they are very overpriced. With that being said, I have to agree with @Solitude. There are people who do not have time to do their hair and can afford these prices. I do not have lots of cash to burn but, I went to an Ethiopian salon in DC ( did not want to go to Dominicans because I had heard they would give heat damage and be heavy handed) to get my natural hair flat ironed and I paid $75 dollars ( 25 of it was for a steam and condish treatment that they suggested). At that time, though I was a DIYer for natural styles and twist, I had not learned the comb chase method and wanted my first press to be done professionally.

I do think the prices are out of the range for many of us here, but we are obviously not their audience.

Sorry ladies, many of us are just not about that life:gorgeous:, but it is ok some people are lol!!!!
:lol:

Last edited:
ditto---i too have had great exp with their products and who am i to tell a brand what they should charge for a service their providing -i gotta go with what i can afford

also the prices listed are typical new yawwwkkk...ppl are shocked really?
lolol ..there are tons of high-end salons in nyc that have crazy pricessss
why does a blk salon have to have cheaper prices--go where you can afford to go--wtf
if you can afford mamita at the dominicans go there if you can afford miss jessies *** with them lol..if you can do ya own stay home and do it lol
their obviously doing something right--their a major brand
this salon is not being advertised for cheaper prices its being advertised as an alternative to a full salon its like a 2.0 version--you can get a couple services versus all the services that are offered at their main salon

do u go to saks or bergdorfs and say omg their prices are crazy-- because i can get the same thing at marshalls--no
u go where u can afford to go...lol

ditto---i too have had great exp with their products and who am i to tell a brand what they should charge for a service their providing -i gotta go with what i can afford

also the prices listed are typical new yawwwkkk...ppl are shocked really?
lolol ..there are tons of high-end salons in nyc that have crazy pricessss
why does a blk salon have to have cheaper prices--go where you can afford to go--wtf
if you can afford mamita at the dominicans go there if you can afford miss jessies *** with them lol..if you can do ya own stay home and do it lol
their obviously doing something right--their a major brand
this salon is not being advertised for cheaper prices its being advertised as an alternative to a full salon its like a 2.0 version--you can get a couple services versus all the services that are offered at their main salon

do u go to saks or bergdorfs and say omg their prices are crazy-- because i can get the same thing at marshalls--no
u go where u can afford to go...lol

:trophy::lol:

@keelioness

I've quoted the ladies who have used their products/services. Maybe @/quote them and ask them what they liked about it or why they are charging those prices.
keelioness I took the plunge and purchased some of their products during their holiday sale at Target (BOGO) and I figured if it didn't work out, I could just return it. I got the curly pudding and baby buttercream. I used the curly pudding on wet/damp hair to do medium sized twists for a twist-out. Sat under the hooded dryer for about 45min, because I had heard from other naturals that the curly pudding works better when dried with heat. Untwisted in the morning and I had the most defined, frizz free twist-out that was flawless.:yep: I retwisted at night with the curly buttercream and my hair was moist and not crispy or crunchy all week long. I prefer Qhemet AOHC as a moisturizer but the curly buttercream, if it were cheaper I would definitely re-purchase. And I am a true 4a/b, southernbella is my hair twin.

So you get shampoo'd, conditioner, roller set and style in 20 minutes? Hair length and detangling doesnt matter uh? So apl-wsl hair, natural, 4a-4b, can be done in 20 minutes? Girl, keep going where you going because they are rare.

i think she meant just setting the hair, but i could see natural hair being charged that price.

especially at the lengths you mentioned.

Welcome to NYC! Most salons have similar prices.
MJ7-660x1024.png

Check out Time Salon in Brooklyn and Hair Rules salon in Manhattan, similar prices. I actually like the decor at Hair Rules but I was not willing to pay $85 for a trim after my Express blow out.

If you think these prices are high, do not even consider Khamit Kinks.

By the way, yes, Soho is a high rent area.
1,400 - 1,600 ft of commercial space will run you $4,000 - $5,500/month or more. I have no idea how much space they have but it looks to be a decent size from the photos and with lots of windows and a decent amount of frontage.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2931126576.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2912526078.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2941982176.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2948373915.html

This is is $18K/month (with basement)
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2948059644.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/off/2948333911.html

Last edited:
My Friend wow ive never heard of that place but it looks really promising! its in bronzeville which is south side/ south of downtown. i like that area, its kinda up and coming.

i think she meant just setting the hair, but i could see natural hair being charged that price.

especially at the lengths you mentioned.

But the price icludes more than just setting the hair which means the stylist is working on you longer than 20 minutes.

I didn't even blink at the prices, and yes, I'm cheap. $50 for a curly cut doesn't seem too bad to me. The other prices are high to me, but if you look at the prices and cringe because you believe they're too high - you're not their target market. And that's okay. Women spend $300 on a pair of shoes, $1000 on a purse. $100 could be one pack of hair. We all make decisions on what we will spend our money, and there is definitely a market for the Curl Bar. And these prices are affordable when compared to full service upscale salon prices. If you're like me and only use about 3 products and two oils and do your own hair, you're not going to be interested. Shoot, I just found a Deva-trained stylist in Charlotte NC, and she charges $99 for a Devacut. That's in Charlotte, NC. And I'll probably pay it and consider it an investment in the health of my hair. So to each his own.

In my opinion "affordability" is relative. This is still Miss Jessie's salon we are discussing and their services or products are never going to be cheap. That's not their target market or business model and I'm a not mad at them. They are in business to make a profit. They found their niche!

With that said...with the exception of Dominican salons....there really are no low priced hair salons in NYC period. MJ's Curl Bar is an affordable alternative to their main line services. The angle balance cut is like $250-300 alone...that does not include shampoo service or styling. There is a $75 reservation fee just to book an appointment at their full service salon. They were charging these prices when the Salon was called Curve and located in a brownstone in Bedstuy. So in comparison the services at the Curl Bar are more affordable.

Miss Jessie's always get's a bad rap on the boards. But I will give these ladies credit for savvy business acumen and for revolutionizing the Afro curly hair market. There were a few products out before them but they came in and totally changed the game. Their success has opened the door for all the other lines that are popular now.

I started using MJ products back in 2005 (during my transition). At that time the only product that had mineral oil in it was the Baby Butter Cream. It was a small amount. I will say I prefer the original formulas. However, the current products still work for me. So they will stay in my curly hair styling rotation. These products have ALWAYS delivered GREAT styling results for me. When I need/want my curly hair to look flawless I pull out Miss Jessie's.

With the exception of Kinky Curling Custard no other 100 percent natural hair butter or milk...etc can do that for me.

Last edited:
IMHO not true. I've gone to high end salons and not so high end and there is absolutely positively a difference.

What's a type F girl?
CocoBunny
I'm two days late on this reply smh but I don't see how a high end salon can guarantee all of their results, if one stylist messes up out of ten then its still oh well to your hair and/or scalp and that is why a salon is a salon is a salon to me. Getting my money back doesn't bring back what was lost no matter how professionally everyone treated me. I'm just a former salon addict scarred (literally).

The type F girl is a stylist who has all the credentials but none of the skills, this is in reference to the woman from the type F youtube channel who gave horrible tutorials on natural hair. She had a license but no skill what so ever.

@CocoBunny
I'm two days late on this reply smh but I don't see how a high end salon can guarantee all of their results, if one stylist messes up out of ten then its still oh well to your hair and/or scalp and that is why a salon is a salon is a salon to me. Getting my money back doesn't bring back what was lost no matter how professionally everyone treated me. I'm just a former salon addict scarred (literally).

The type F girl is a stylist who has all the credentials but none of the skills, this is in reference to the woman from the type F youtube channel who gave horrible tutorials on natural hair. She had a license but no skill what so ever.

Thank you for the explanation!

Haircuts

Women$110-$275
Men$65–$200
Children (up to 12)$65–$85

Styling

Blow-Dry$55+Blow-Dry Lesson$150
Updo $150+

Hair Color

1 Process$105+
Highlights$250+
Henna$165+
Rinse / Gloss$85+

Face

Make-up Application$85+
Lash Application$65+
Make-up Lesson$150+
Facials$100+
Galvanic Treatment$65+

Hair and Scalp Treatments

Trichologist$75+
Gil Ferrer Stimulating Scalp & Hair Treatment$65+
Ionic Treatment175+

Chemical Treatments

Japanese Straightening$550+
Thermal Curl$550+
Permanent Wave$150+
Gil Ferrer Collagen/Keratin$300+

Bridal

LocationMinimum Fee$1000+
Hair In Salon$250+
Make-upIn Salon$150+Make-up

A NYC Salon

Last edited:
I don't think the prices are shocking at all. That haircut price is downright reasonable. I'm just too cheap to pay! :)

I might consider it if I were in the city and wanted to treat myself though.

Back