Mizani vs. Affirm - Help

Sade'

:attention: I can't decide...I am planning to relax in about 90 days. I want to use one of those relaxers but I want to get the right one.. The last relaxer I used was PCJ and it was No-Lye. My hair was so dull and dry :wallbash:. I am ready for a switch and I want the best results for a sensitive scalp like mine. Any suggestions? Maybe u can look at my Fotki and view my hair type:

http://public.fotki.com/Blckbttrfly/ pw in profile

Also re-touching the new growth will have no effect on the old hair, so I guess I have to live with PCJ ends and moisturize it to death in order to correct the damage that I have caused.:oops:.

Last question : What do u ladies use as a "pre-relaxer" protective treatment? How many days in advance?

:feedback:

Thanx!! :love3:

lilamae

90 days! Girl you got plenty of time to decide:rolleyes: but check out Mizani Butter Blend. i relaxed with it today. Has a great base, a protective creme for previously relaxed hair, and was not discomforting at all during the application process. It has some grat oils in the system ( jojoba, honey, avocado) I highly recommend it:yep:

Sade'

Thanks Lilamae! Yeah I got a lil carried away :perplexed 90 days is a long time from now LOL :lachen:

glamazon386

Both Mizani and Affirm are good relaxers. Affirm made my fine hair too straight though. I ended up switching to Mizani for fine hair and my hair did much better.

ChocalateDiva

I use Mizani rhelaxer and I love it. Affirm did nothing for my 4b hair. :ohwell:
Some of the rhelaxer will runs down the strands during the rinse and can straighten the ends a lil bit in my exerpience.

kiesha8185

I will suggest Affirm over Mizani.

I have relaxed with Mizani for about 3 years and burned like crazy every time. And my hair was always dry dry dry. My hair relaxed straight though.

Affirm Sensitive Scalp gave my hair shine, strength, bounce and straightened my hair without burning. I only used Affirm once (sig pics) and I will continue to use this relaxer. I am not experiencing any breakage (which I never thought was possible) and my hair is sooo soft.

tyrablu

Both Mizani and Affirm are good relaxers. Affirm made my fine hair too straight though. I ended up switching to Mizani for fine hair and my hair did much better.

Maybe I should try the Mizani. I got a relaxer with Affirm on Friday and my hair is a little too straight for my liking:nono:. I'll wash it this week to see if it changes, if not I'll have to try Mizani for my next relaxer.

kiesha8185

keisha your hair looks beautiful!:blush:

Well I dont know. maybe different strokes for different folks..but here is a album of my relaxer results today...

http://public.fotki.com/lilaowens/waistlength-movement

Thank you! But your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Oh my! The shine and length is amazing! Your hair looks very healthy.

I guess my biggest problem with Mizani is that it burns the heck outta my scalp. After only 5 minutes. I'm glad it works for you though, and the results are great.

glamazon386

Maybe I should try the Mizani. I got a relaxer with Affirm on Friday and my hair is a little too straight for my liking:nono:. I'll wash it this week to see if it changes, if not I'll have to try Mizani for my next relaxer.

Yeah, I think it just depends on your hair. My mother has had Affirm on her hair for a few years now and her hair is perfectly thick and healthy. It's about APL now and she has color. Her hair is a lot thicker than mine is though. Even now that I'm natural her hair is still thicker than mine and she's relaxed bone straight. My hair couldn't handle the Affirm.

MizzBrown

I HATE Mizani. Used it twice and both times my hair was on fire and i couldn't keep still in the stylists chair AND on top of that it wouldn't breakdown on my NG. She kept smoothing it out and wanting to keep it on longer cause it wouldnt break down and I just couldnt take it any more and the funny thing is that i am NOT tenderheaded. I could take acid on my scalp and be alright but that dayum Mizani...

I love Affirm. No burns, straightens out nice, love it.

Artemis

Sade, in the mean time while you are deciding on a relaxer, have you considered using a chelating shampoo on your hair? No lye relaxers can sometimes leaving calcium deposits on the hair, causing a dull dry appearance and feel. That way when you are ready for a touch-up your hair will be in better shape.

I am using Mizani Regular (lye) right now, and am thinking a/b switching to Affirm, just for a more (IMO) complete relaxing experience. Mizani is good/ok, but it doesn't like "wow" me. I probably won't be switching until March, as I am working on 12 wks stretches in 2008.

HTH :)

Sade'

No, Artemis what's a chelating shampoo?? I am leaning towards Affirm, I have heard to many "burning" stories...I don't wanna find out the hard way.

Artemis

No, Artemis what's a chelating shampoo?? I am leaning towards Affirm, I have heard to many "burning" stories...I don't wanna find out the hard way.

Chelating shampoo both clarifies and removes product buildup and mineral deposits from the hair. Most ppl who have hard water use it fairly often, as the deposits can interfere with conditioning properties from entering the hair correctly. You can do a search for more info, but ORS, Kenra, Joico, Paul Mitchell are lines that have chelating shampoos that I can think of right now.

Sistaslick has also posted a bunch on chelating and no-lye relaxers, so you can search for her name as well. :)

As far as burning, I'm sure that proper preparation can help with that. I thought Mizani was going to burn me, but that never happened, except for when I didn't wait enough days after using BT :ohwell: