MIZANI'S CURL KEY HAIR TYPE SYSTEM

BrooklynSouth

MIZANI has something called a CURL KEY. I don't know if it's new to you all or not but check out the site for the curl key. I like their explanation of hair types. I may violate the links rule so will not link it; please just go to the Mizani site to see it.

Vintageglam

Re: MIZANI'S NEW CURL KEY

I like this key sooooooooooooo much more than Andre's system. This puts me at type VI.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! I can FINALLY type my hair!!! I probably won't use the products, but at least I learned that I am a Type V... Thanks for posting that here!!

prettybyrd

This system, for those who type their hair, is so much better than the Andre system which I always thought was just too biased for my liking.

This one actually acknowledges Afro hair types. With better pictures and examples it will be easier for users to se be able to see their hair in the sample.

Thanks, OP!

BTW - I'm Type V - and like someone posted above, I'm not really interested in the products, but I like the tips under the type, too bad they didn't post information for natural hair, only relaxed. I could've used that 12 years ago :)

Last edited:

dicapr

I like it! It is soo much better than Andre's and I actually see my hair type listed there.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

That was the big thing for me: NOT seeing my hair type clearly or not being able to find examples, only descriptions. I'm glad Mizani used pictures and gave a short desciption. I was litearlly able to look and say "that's my hair type"; with the other system, I had a general idea, but I would have to pick apart at the descriptions to get to what I thought my hair type was and at the end, I was back to square one: no hair type. I won't use the products like I said, but I do believe that the products were meant for naturals as well as relaxed heads and all those in-between.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

That was the big thing for me: NOT seeing my hair type clearly or not being able to find examples, only descriptions. I'm glad Mizani used pictures and gave a short desciption. I was litearlly able to look and say "that's my hair type"; with the other system, I had a general idea, but I would have to pick apart at the descriptions to get to what I thought my hair was and at the end, I was back to square one: no hair type. I won't use the products like I said, but I do believe that the products were ment for naturals as well as relaxed heads and all those in-between.

On closer inspection, I agree. This is a great system! The samples of unstyled hair are just so much better than pics of people with styles that could have been manipulated into shape. The Mizani pics are just shots of hair as it grows.

BrooklynSouth

That was the big thing for me: NOT seeing my hair type clearly or not being able to find examples, only descriptions. I'm glad Mizani used pictures and gave a short desciption. I was litearlly able to look and say "that's my hair type"; with the other system, I had a general idea, but I would have to pick apart at the descriptions to get to what I thought my hair was and at the end, I was back to square one: no hair type. I won't use the products like I said, but I do believe that the products were ment for naturals as well as relaxed heads and all those in-between.

Totally agree, the real photos, the descriptions of the growth and the fall were on point.

BrooklynSouth

Please forgive my bumping, seems kinda egotisitcal to bump one's own thread but I think this system is so useful so once again..forgive the bumping..I want as many as possible to check this typing system.

newports

my twa is VIII all day everyday lol.
except for in the crown area where i have a bunch of these really tight spirals, ringlets whatever you want to call them that clump together.

so i guess my hair is 90% VIII (8) & 10% IV (4)
thats so weird

:ohwell:

Last edited:

LongCurlz

I'm still a little confused, I guess I'm a VI, but the picture does not look like my hair, but the description descibes my hair somewhat

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I like this system! :yep:
I think I'm a 4? LOL!

I like the fact that it has more types to choose from.

I wish I could make the pics bigger...

SVT

MIZANI has something called a CURL KEY. I don't know if it's new to you all or not but check out the site for the curl key. I like their explanation of hair types. I may violate the links rule so will not link it; please just go to the Mizani site to see it.

It's cool. I posted it.

ChocalateDiva

I like this!! Andres typing is wack. Im a VII

Type I -Straight to Minimum wave

Type II-Open wave-Loose S Shaped curves

Type III-Wavy-Distinct S Shaped curves with uniform wave pattern

Type IV-Curly-Defined, mixed curl patterns: loops to spirals; ringlets to corkscrews

Type V-Very Curly-Defined curl with S-shapes forming into coils

Type VI-Coiled-Loose afro-medium coils close to the scalp

Type VII-Very Coiled-Tight afro-distinct, springy coils closer to scalp

Type VIII-Zigzag Coiled-Extremely tight afro-interlocking coils and zig-zag patterns

Last edited:

sharifeh

Hmm I think 6 or 7??? or 8? :ohwell:
still so confusing but wayyyyy better than andre...I really like the descriptions.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
It's better in some ways but still lacking IMO. It has more categories for the so-called 4 (Andre's system) but there is a huge jump between III and IV. Also, III & IV looks like reverting natural hair.