moisturizing with just plain ole water?

Evolving78

i was watching Tressbuzz's channel on YT and she stated she moisturizes with plain water (nothing added) and seal with an oil.

has anyone else tried this? what were the results? do you think something like this could work with someone that has fine hair, or doesn't want to deal with product buildup?

yuhlovevybz

I've tried it. The results were dry, crispity, breakity hair. I used coconut oil and I switched to african healing oil for something thicker. Neither seemed to work well for me. I have coarse hair though.

HautePinkHeels

I've tried it and I just ended up with dry hair. My hair is porous and the water evaporates 5 minutes after application. I need a heavy cream that won't evaporate so quickly

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

Cherokee-n-Black

I've tried it. The results were dry, crispity, breakity hair. I used coconut oil and I switched to african healing oil for something thicker. Neither seemed to work well for me. I have coarse hair though.

LMAO @ "crispity breakity" :lachen: I did this with my son for a while. Great results, actually. I used spring water and nothing. I co-washed his hair and then just combed every day with spring water. I should probably go back to that and add the oil. He's a baby. (well, not really almost 2). Did not have the same results with tap water. That might be an issue.

Last edited:

virtuenow

This combination is pretty popular around these parts :). I recently discovered there may be something to this "water" as a moisturizer. I mix it w/aloe vera juice and conditioner and some favorite oils for a juicy spritz now :)

greenandchic

My hair is like HautePinkHeels in that it dries like, 5 minutes after its wet. When I style or set my hair after washing, I have to keep a spray bottle with me and do a light sealing just to keep my hair from drying out while I complete one section.

Water alone doesn't work for me. I need a leave in.

Evolving78

i have low porosity. product just sits on my hair after awhile. it will only absorb so much and then that is it, but then it feels dry and crisp because of all of the product of moisturizing with a cream and sealing. i can't do the baggy thing, or wet bunning. i might try this for a day or two and see how it goes.

silkii_locks

Yes I do this during the winter months but I use spring water and something like grapeseed oil or coconut oil. I have a video on YT showing how I do mine but I used whipped shea butter in the video.

The key is to not oversaturate the hair with the water. All you want is a very fine mist and a light application of the oil or butter. I put mine in a high bun and the next morning my hair is so soft and moisturized with a hint of wave from the bun. Here's the link. http://youtu.be/O4xCjYeb9QE

ceecy29

shortdub78 I'm low-po as well, and I just tried out the LOC method using water, a shea butter mix and Giovanni direct leave in. The jury is still out. Somehow, my ends are still damp and feel moisturized but closer to the root is completely dry but not crispy feeling. I think I'll try this out a few times before I give a verdict.

Nonie

An old member MSA used to do this and I have read of others who have had success with this too. She sealed with Castor oil. The method will work if you use a product that will seal in the water well otherwise the water will evaporate and leave your hair dry. You also have to realize that trying to moisturize wet hair is not easy as there'll be difficulty of adhesion...so unless you're spraying the "sealant", methinks the application will be pretty uneven from the slipperiness of the water so there'll be spaces not sealed.

I used to do something like this with a serum: I'd apply John Frieda serum over damp hair. My hair felt very nice, both relaxed and natural, with this regimen. I had to give it up though because I HAFTA baggy my natural hair at night (I get the twitches and froth at the mouth if I don't), and I can't baggy my head with a serum on or my scalp will itch something awful.

LunaGorgeous

Spritzing with water is the only way I moisturize, and it has been the best for me so far. I used to use products that were "moisturizers" and those did nothing for my hair but dry it out significantly, leading to breakage. I keep a bottle of water, that has a few drops of tea tree oil, and msm mixed. I use this spritz to moisturize my scalp at the same time. The tea tree oil has antibacterial properties so there are no worries about bacterial growth, and the msm has many benefits in general. After that I apply a light layer of my honey leave-in to each section and seal with my oil mixture.

NIN4eva

I use a mixture that's 1 part Roux 619 leave-in to 4-5 parts distilled water before I crosswrap at night. I spray a little in my palm, rub my hands together, apply and brush through with a paddle brush. That's the only time I moisturize dry hair. I don't have to seal with this mixture. But I usually add a tiny bit of olive oil for shine when I take it down in the morning.

If I use just the distilled water before I crosswrap, I'll seal very lightly with olive oil.

I've never used tap water.

I only use a creamy leave-in on sopping wet hair after it's washed or co washed and then I air dry.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
This method of just water and oil works ok for me but I find water then a cream/butter and maybe then an oil works better.

darlingdiva

I recently realized that I have low porosity hair too, so I've ditched aloe vera juice, JC leave-in, KCKT, ACV, and Roux Porosity Control.

For my leave-in, I mix warm water, Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac Conditioner, and castor oil. I was worried about it at first because I've never used a creamy leave-in, but it's been good so far. My hair has been moisturized without being weighed down.

virtuenow

Oh yes, I use distilled water in my moisture spray as well :). Have hard water here, so thats a no go.

MizzBrown

Water touches my hair EVERYDAY.

I have a bottle of distilled water that I use 1-2 times a day.

I see why some naturals literally carry a spray bottle in their purse or car. I spray my hair to make it pliable (cuz its stuck to my head from sleeping) and mosturized..then follow up with either a water-based moisturizer or an oil.

Took me a while to realize that I cant just keep putting product on my hair. Water moisturizes beyond any and everything and you need something to bind/seal it in.

discodumpling

I have fine hair and find water to be the perfect LEAVE IN moisturizer. My hair is to naturally dry for water to be the only layer of protection though. So I follow water with more moisture ie oil then creamy moisturizer.

I also spritz with plain water in between washes.

KittyMeowMeow

Yes, and I love it.

The secret is that you need to work the water into your hair, not let it evaporate on top. Water used to leave my hair dry, until I started working it in.

You know how when you wash your hands, if you don't dry them, they will dry rough? I think it's the same thing.

I spray just a small amount to a section of hair (like 2 sprays), and work that in. I smooth my hair down, which gives me a lot of stretch. Too much water and it will evaporate and not absorb- just a little.

I repeat until my hair is moisturized. Then, I seal with a little bit of oil.

I have been doing this for over a year, and it has worked wonders for me! This leaves my hair softer and smoother than ANYTHING I have used.

I do use a moisturizing product just after washing, and maybe my first moisturizing session after washing if I didn't use enough. But my nightly routine is just water and oil.

Last edited:

lamaria211

ill do this sometimes if i feel like ive alreay have to much product in my hair, but it usually just makes my hair soft while its wet then it dries hard and crunchy

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I recently realized that I have low porosity hair too, so I've ditched aloe vera juice, JC leave-in, KCKT, ACV, and Roux Porosity Control.

For my leave-in, I mix warm water, Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac Conditioner, and castor oil. I was worried about it at first because I've never used a creamy leave-in, but it's been good so far. My hair has been moisturized without being weighed down.
darlingdiva

OT: I'm low porosity too and do not use AVJ, Roux PC and ACV. Are you able to use AVJ if it's an ingredient within a product? I have decent results with some conditioners containing aloe vera. It simply depends on how the product is formulated.

Nicole9

I moisturize with only water and then seal with shea butter. It works for me and my hair is always soft.

MissAlinaRose

Early on in my journey I used a Rosemary Water mix (distilled water, olive oil, a light conditioner, and rosemary oil) with much success. I didn't just use plain water because I had the same dry hair result as HautePinkHeels.

KittyMeowMeow
This is so interesting and insightful. Thank you for the tip. I'm going to try it! (I can't give up on my Giovanni Direct though lol)

The secret is that you need to work the water into your hair, not let it evaporate on top. Water used to leave my hair dry, until I started working it in.

You know how when you wash your hands, if you don't dry them, they will dry rough? I think it's the same thing.

snookes

Yes I do this during the winter months but I use spring water and something like grapeseed oil or coconut oil. I have a video on YT showing how I do mine but I used whipped shea butter in the video.

The key is to not oversaturate the hair with the water. All you want is a very fine mist and a light application of the oil or butter. I put mine in a high bun and the next morning my hair is so soft and moisturized with a hint of wave from the bun. Here's the link.
Your hair is gorgeous. Very interesting when you mentioned the heat from indoors is the main problem then being outdoors during the winter months.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Your hair is gorgeous. Very interesting when you mentioned the heat from indoors is the main problem then being outdoors during the winter months.
I heard another youtuber mention this. She stated that since she's not spending time outside in the cold air, it's probably not the issue.

At home I have baseboard heat which uses steam, so im good there, but at work I have a space heater. Haven't noticed extra dry hair, though. Maybe I'm doing something right.