More Earnest Attempt @ Shingling *PICS!*

Soliel185

The first time I tried shingling it was a disaster....Hard, crunchy grossness.

Today, I retried and I like the results much better. I'm too lazy to follow the instructions to the letter, so I added my products section by section (6 total)

I used:

VO5 Moisture Milks Champagne Kiss
Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
Long Aid Activator Gel

No combing, no brushing - I plopped with a t shirt for awhile, shook rapidly, and then spot dried with a diffuser. I did have some boogers, but I was afraid to rinse, so I just waited them out and then shook them off...

Plopping Tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Plop-Your-Hair

Last edited:

jazzysweet

You have beautiful hair and it is shaped perfectly for this style. How long did you transition before the big chop?

almond eyes

Soleil, how do you combat the shrinkage? You are so lucky you have thick hair, it looks gorgeous.

Best,
Almond Eyes

CarLiTa

:love: it!
im so crazy about ur hair. the shape of it is just great.
i'm so envious of all the ladies whose hair hangs down. sometimes mine just hang straight up! (or out)... imagine that, 8 inch strands just shooting in wild directions except for down :wallbash: i think my hair needs more moisture...

but back OT:
love it. it came out wonderful. u've inspired me to try shingling in the near future.

Soliel185

You have beautiful hair and it is shaped perfectly for this style. How long did you transition before the big chop?

I lucked out on the shape. I cut it myself in the bathroom. :lachen: I transitioned for 17.5 months so right now I am about 20 months post relaxer.

Soleil, how do you combat the shrinkage? You are so lucky you have thick hair, it looks gorgeous.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks!

I do still have shrinkage. I think that plopping helps b/c it keeps the hair elongated until it's mostly dry - once hair is dry it stops shrinking. My crown and bangs are a looser texture, so they don't shrink as much, but the back and sides shrink up as it dries. When my hair is wet it's touches my collarbone unstretched. Stretched I'm about APL :yep:. I'm hoping to be full APL by the end of the twist challenge in Dec.

:love: it!
im so crazy about ur hair. the shape of it is just great.
i'm so envious of all the ladies whose hair hangs down. sometimes mine just hang straight up! (or out)... imagine that, 8 inch strands just shooting in wild directions except for down :wallbash: i think my hair needs more moisture...

but back OT:
love it. it came out wonderful. u've inspired me to try shingling in the near future.

I honestly think the hair on top is so dense it's forcing the rest of it down. You can see in this pic

that is does stick up on top w/o more product added. It's just getting long enough to wear it kinda flops over.

i l0ve ur hair its beautiful!! "& yO lipglOss is pOppin tOO? Gurl you better W0RK!! L0L

I've never worn this outside the house. LOL! Thx, though. I might have to try it out this weekend. :grin:

Kneechay

nice, i love it.

im going to try this after i uninstall, it looks so fun. i want a huge curly fro style like my friend did here, but it kinda looks like shingling, but not

shes the one on the left

Soliel185

^^ I've decided that no amount of product will give me sleekish curls like that. :nono:

But I can do a pretty good imitation with a twist out. I like that everyone's "shingle" looks different. :yep:

Last edited:

Soliel185

:lick:Love it Soliel!
How long did this last? Does your hair tangle much after this?

I just did it today so I'm not sure yet how long it will last. I got 5 days out of a twistout so anything is possible. I have to retwist my hair this Sunday though, so we'll see if it makes it till then.