6 Weeks Post BC + Humidity's Effects on the Hair *PICS*

Soliel185

I just learned about plopping about two weeks ago, but I hadn't found the time to try it. I figured the beach was as good a place as any to go a little bohemian with the hair, and if it looked bad I could always fall back on the puff. :yep:

Here are the basic steps -

1. If you like (and I like) you can separate your hair into sections. I've done two (front & back) and four depending on mood.

2. Thoroughly rinse hair with cold water - as cold as you can stand. This can happen after a DC, after a co-wash - whenever.

3. Squeeze a bit of excess water from hair and add product - I go in this order: conditioner, oil, gel. I separate any overly large frizzy feeling clumps into smaller sections, and smooth hair with my hands instead of "combing" my fingers through the length.

4. Once all sections have been rinsed, and product applied, do another quick cold water rinse - just enough to get the texture nice and goopy :grin:

From that point on you can follow these instructions:

Click Here for a picture based step by step.

Mook's hair

Ahhh, so you experienced the NJ humidity that I reside in.
I've never tried plopping but will next month. Now that I know how well you managed.
Thanks for the steps.

Great results.

Soliel185

So did you ever try plopping before your BC? If so what were the results?

No, I'd never even heard of it then. After I BC'd I started using oversized T's to dry b/c I read somewhere that it was better for curly hair. I like it b/c the T's were easier to wrap than towels, and they were lighter.

I posted about using a T and someone said I was "plopping" (technically, I wasn't at the time, but it was closse) and that prompted me to do some research and see exactly what it was.

Soliel185

As always I love the hair. :lick: Those jumbo twistout look great. Do you finger comb thru or just separate to get the big hair appearance?

The last time I wore my WNG I plopped and it was great. As a Jerze Girl the August heat and humidity can be a curse (it gets so darn uncomfortable) but a blessing it keeps the hair and skin glowing.

Yeah LBI isn't really the spot to see other Naturals or other that look like us in general. I did see quite a few when I was AC at the begnning of the month. But I love going to the Shore (beach) and enjoying the ocean.

I just saw your question about the twistout -

I just separate with my hands/fingers and shake my head around. if your hair is even a tiny bit damp. it will begin to swell once it's unbound and the humidity gets hold of it. I noticed my twistouts retained almost NO definition the whole time I was there b/c of this - and that led to the plopping.

I have very thick hair already - so that plus the moisture in the air led to an ever increasing fro.

FindingMe

All week anytime we went out my stepdad (who is white) would be like "All the girls are so jealous of your hair and earrings..they can't stop staring!" :lachen:

My Grandmother declared it 'chic' and continued to lovingly mangle it throughout the trip and a stewardess on my flight back stopped by my seat and said, "You have great hair!"

I did kinda feel like a sideshow though because I was the only fro on the whole friggin island with the exception of a few nice jewish boys in the early throes of puberty. :rolleyes:

:rofl: at THIS WHOLE POST^^^!!!! I just love you, Soliel! You rock the natural SO well, your stepdad was right!!!! SO pretty! I'm jealous of your hair, too 'cause when I saw you BC, it was over for me...I BC'd less than a week later...:lachen:

finickyone

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Ref: your goofy pic - You couldn't look goofy if someone paid you! You're confident & fierce, thats why you were getting the stares!

Soliel185

Has anyone tried plopping..? If you have, please post pics!

I'm going to DC and detangle today, and then see what kinds of results I get with a t-shirt. :yep:

Geminigirl

Love your hair.... but all I really wanna know is where you get your earrings from? I was thinking the same thing kinda like your stepdad your earring game is SICK. Nothing compliments our natural hair more than some sexy earrings!

Soliel185

Love your hair.... but all I really wanna know is where you get your earrings from? I was thinking the same thing kinda like your stepdad your earring game is SICK. Nothing compliments our natural hair more than some sexy earrings!

:grin: I buy them from my SO's store - Me-Phi. Here's pics of some of the pieces we carry. We do phone orders if you're interested. They're all the same brand - Cubannie Links.

I was so mad I didn't bring business cards, b/c people kept asking me, but that hadn't even occurred to me before I left. :wallbash:

MRJ1972

Gon' girl!

Co-signing on loving your hair and style also!!!!

Please keep the PICS coming...They keep me motivated to continue on with my daughter's transitioning....( mine too!!!! :grin:)