More on conditioner washes

Nutmeg

First of all, let me just say: I am a newbie to the site, and this is the best site I've found all year...Merry Christmas to me early! There is some invaluable information on this site, and it's great to see everyone be so helpful and nurturing to one another.

I've done a lot of "research" through the posts about co washes. I work out &amp; SWEAT (like, hair at the scalp is soaked), and I think co washes will be a great way for me to cleanse and not allow the sweat to dry my hair. However, I have <font color="red">REALLY </font>thick hair (i.e there's no way it would dry overnight from a complete co wash) and I live in a cold place--do you think it's possible to just co wash your scalp (applying with a brush or applicator tip just at the roots and giving a little attention to the ends), and then use a spray bottle to rinse, thereby avoiding complete saturation? Has anyone tried this? Your feedback would be great.

Thanks...I can't wait to be a more active part of the LHCF community!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say WELCOME

Nutmeg

Thanks Raquel. Another question: where does one find all the challenges (bun, product, etc...they don't stop!) I keep seeing everyone refer to?

JenJen2721

Welcome Nutmeg!!!

You asked a good question, but unfortunately I don't have a good answer. I don't like to put conditioner directly on my scalp though for fear of clogging the follicles.

I just wanted to say glad to have you aboard though.

You can find the "challenges" by using the search function/link at the top of the screen. Just type in the word "challenge".

Good luck~!

TinyT

Well one thing you could try is doing a regular conditioner wash, and then sqeezing the excess water out, and letting it air dry in a ponytail. Before you go to bed twist the ponytail and put some moisturizer on the ends so that the ends dont get frizzy, and when you get up, use a diffuser or blow dryer on a cool setting to dry the rest of it. Use a heat protectant wether or not the air from the dryer is hot. You can use hot six oil or any other heat protectant.

Marseeya

Welcome Nutmeg
I think just doing the complete co.wash would be best... Instead of washing with shampoo you wash with the conditioner...rinse and squeeze out the excess water..Tracyannette said it best!
JenJen I thought it would clog too,but my hair has been growing like mad since I tried the co. washes, and my hair is alot softer way less dry and by the way I do use a clarifying shampoo by the seventh wash; just to get off the build up if any...wanna be on the safe side

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Nutmeg, I do that all the time. My hair takes forever to dry too and I really don't think a conditioner wash every single day is necessary. I don't sweat like that and have to be concerned about bacteria/perspiration though. In the Curly Girl book she recommends conditioner washes every 7 - 10 days for corkscrew/boticelli curls and rinsing on other days. On most days during the week, I either rinse completely or spritz with plain water or water/glycerin/conditioner. It works well for me. I did that when it was hot/warm outside as well.

Nutmeg

Thanks ladies. After doing my first cold weather air dry last night (and waking up with damp hair
), I think I'm going to attempt an "abbreviated" co wash next week, something along the lines of what CurlyCrly mentioned (thanks!). The results will help me determine if this is something I could do after each workout (I'm obsessing
about the daily co washes because I DO sweat so much, and I'm really adament about not letting my hair dry/having the sweat break it down). But if the results aren't so great or I find I can't get an effective-enough rinse and get all the conditioner out, maybe I'll just have to do true co-washes every other day during my workout schedule.

We shall see...this is all about learning, right?

Thanks you all for the help and for showing me where the challenges are...and keep the suggestions coming if you have some more!