Dry Shampoos Anyone?

MrsHdrLe

My stylist suggests I only wash twice a month and I see her point manipulation wise and because the water quality in my area isn't really that good, but I love to workout though sweat in my head a lot. I want to keep my scalp clean though between washes/co-washes and maintain my straightened hair as long as possible.
Does anyone use dry shampoos? Are they good for "our hair"? Can anyone suggest good alternatives to dry shampooing?
TIA

I did a search, but nothing came up, just threads that were pages and pages long. Help would be really appreciated.

I'd like to know too. I just did a half-assed search on google and naturallycurly.com trying to find the ingredients used in dry shampoos. It seems a lot have alcohol in them, which I would stay away from. However I'm sure there are brands that do not use alcohol. Hopefully someone else will chime in

ETA: I also think a lot of them are simply powders in a can. This works for people who have problems with overly-oily hair, as the powder absorbs excess oil. However I think what you and I are looking for is a product that refreshes and cleans hair, which these are unlikely to do.

Last edited:
I did watch or read something that suggested using witch hazel or sea breeze as a scalp cleanser, but I'd be a little worried about over drying my scalp and how would I apply it w/o wetting my hair. I guess I could use a small tipped applicator bottle to get at the roots, but I wonder if this is effective w/o actually removing the build up with water, a cotton ball, or rag.

Help Us Someone....

Dry shampoo coats the hair...over time it will cause build up because the point of it, is to clean the hair with out soap and water when it's unavaible or for any particular medical reasoning their may be....not limited to by choice.

The idea behind dry shampoo is to remove excess oil from hair follicles without having to actually wash the hair using a traditional shampoo and water. It is not unusual for households to keep a small amount of dry shampoo on hand as part of an emergency hygiene kit. In the event that water is not available, the dry shampoo compound can be applied and provide at least a partial cleansing of the hair.

-wise geek

and no I don't use dry shampoo but was taught all about it back in cosmo school...this is one of those, it's to each their own.
Just remember, at some point, you may want to use water and possibly poo. Co washing, oil washes, rinsing with water only...there are many ways to clean your hair, even if you decide to use salt water, salt cleanses the hair and many on here love to use baking soda and water instead of conventional poo. The options to poo is limitless!

---I've used sea breeze...it makes the scalp itchy when applied but it strips the oils and build upfrom the hair and scalp. It leaves my hair feeling clean for a day or 2 but I found that using EO's works best!!!!:yep:

Last edited:
My stylist suggests I only wash twice a month and I see her point manipulation wise and because the water quality in my area isn't really that good, but I love to workout though sweat in my head a lot. I want to keep my scalp clean though between washes/co-washes and maintain my straightened hair as long as possible.
Does anyone use dry shampoos? Are they good for "our hair"? Can anyone suggest good alternatives to dry shampooing?
TIA

Could you detangle and wash in braids ? Would pre pooing help? Is getting a water filter an option? That might also help your skin. Jmho

Twice a month??!!??!! Ewww.... can't you just use a gentle shampoo bar and get a shower filter?

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

You love to work out, you sweat a lot, and your stylist said to not shampoo your hair. She's/he's fired. You can wrap your hair up but depending on your work out routine..not to mention sweating a lot...you need water non the less. A dry shampoo is not a replacement for ordinary poo's. If you profusely sweat, you may very well need to cut back on your work our routines for your straight hair. Sweat alone will draw that fresh press...flat iron right up. I know their are folks who like to pull their hair up in a pony, that may help.

As far as water
If a filter isn't an option...what about boiling your water? I've poo'd in harsh water...as a matter of fact, Saudi Arabia's water isn't even drinkable...everyone buys bottled water and/or has a tank in their homes. But I used to poo my hair in the water...it's clear/clean water but not drinkable and my hair was ok with it but I did start buying big jugs of water to clean my hair with as an option of a final rinse. I wouldn't stop shampooing because the stylist said so....I'd look around lhcf b/c there are many ladies here who work out use hair water, etc and maintain a healthy head of hair.

Thanks. She's not too supportive of wetting the hair often, and since my hair is very dry most of the time, I began to believe it was the "'drying" effects of the water quality contributing to my hair issues.

The last dry shampoo I bought was powder in a can and I didn't know it :nono:

Sprayed that stuff all up in my kinky/curly hair and had to end up washing it out :nono: which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place :lol:

Gotcha. Yeah, I was just wondering how to do less to my hair between visits. Co-washing it is. Thanks ladies for your help.
Happy New Year

Back