MSM Users! Am I losing my mind?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I swear this MSM is making my hair either change texture, or to be softer for some reason. Believe you me, I am NOT complaining :D I'm just saying I am 21 weeks post relaxer and when I wash my Hair, It's like I'm 4 or 5 weeks and I'm not even exaggerating :) Has anyone else experienced this? I take 1000mg whenever I can remember about 5 days out of a 7 day week. I also am using NJoy's Sulfur oil mix 1x weekly. What have been your experience with MSM?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I've been taking MSM for over a year and it has not altered my texture.

I think I have read online of others having similar experiences (as yours).

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I've been taking MSM for over a year and it has not altered my texture.

I think I have read online of others having similar experiences (as yours).

I'm loving that it's softer. I mean I didn't think I would be able to stretch 21 weeks. My goal was 24 and I think I'll see how long I can stretch. If I can go an entire Year, I won't relax again.

Ogoma

I have been taking MSM for a while, even before I went natural. I have not noticed anything.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I have been taking MSM for a while, even before I went natural. I have not noticed anything.
Its so strange how some stuff works for some, and not for others. I know there's a lady on the a FB hair group I'm a part of and she says that the Aphoghee Green Tea reconstructurizer is wonderful, and gives her great results. I went and bought it, used it and I swear I don't see a darn thing different haha

Tiye

I'm going to go check that out. Thanks for the link :) My hair def aint no Asian hair :p but I'll say I am a 4B, and my hair feels like it's 4a now.

4a hair isn't softer than 4b it just has a different pattern. Maybe the MSM along with other factors like your diet and the products you're using are making your new growth feel softer and more moisturized.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
4a hair isn't softer than 4b it just has a different pattern. Maybe the MSM along with other factors like your diet and the products you're using are making your new growth feel softer and more moisturized.

naw, I'm not a health nut at all. I eat crap. Not proud, just telling the truth. I'm one of those spoiled slim chicks that eats and eats and never gains. I haven't change anything in my diet and veggies? Yeah, I don't eat many of those at all. The only thing I've added was my MSM supplement. That's it. NO, I also use my sulfur oil but other than that, my staple products are the same that they've always been over the past year. I've been on my hair journey for about 14 months now, so I'm pretty familiar with what works with my hair and how my hair is. This to me is strange but I'll take it. I can't think of anything else extra I'm doing. My regimen has been the same since the 9x I revised it about 9 mths ago.

Ganjababy

It made my hair straighter. Curls less curly. When I used it. I stopped because its a natural blood thinner and I get heavy periods so a blood thinner is a no no for me.

cornaline

I swear this MSM is making my hair either change texture, or to be softer for some reason. Believe you me, I am NOT complaining :D I'm just saying I am 21 weeks post relaxer and when I wash my Hair, It's like I'm 4 or 5 weeks and I'm not even exaggerating :) Has anyone else experienced this? I take 1000mg whenever I can remember about 5 days out of a 7 day week. I also am using NJoy's Sulfur oil mix 1x weekly. What have been your experience with MSM?

I have experienced the same as you OP. I have been taking NSM for 1 year and a half and it has definitly changed my texture to much softer. I can now easily stretch past 12 weeks now, which would have been totally impossible before. This is mainly due to my softer texture.

InBloom

In my new-growth
When I was taking MSM....

I was having crazyunpredictable menstrual cycles and pimples (despite drinking massive amounts of water).

I had to let it go before ever noticing whether it benefitted my hair or not.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest

I was having crazyunpredictable menstrual cycles and pimples (despite drinking massive amounts of water).

I am noticing lighter periods and I didn't even think that this correlates to that. It's a possibility. I don't notice any other adverse effects at all. I'm not sure if I should have any other effects.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Sounds like you can tolerate MSM better than I could. My cycles were more frequent! I'm still not quite right. Damn MSM! LOL

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Sounds like you can tolerate MSM better than I could. My cycles were more frequent! I'm still not quite right. Damn MSM! LOL

hehe :D I didn't even know that was a side effect. Good thing because trust, if I knew beforehand I might not have tried it.

yynot

Are you guys taking the pills or the powder? I've heard that the powder is more effective. I have been taking the pills for about a month and it's seems like my hair is softer and curls more defined.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Are you guys taking the pills or the powder? I've heard that the powder is more effective. I have been taking the pills for about a month and it's seems like my hair is softer and curls more defined.
I take the GNC brand MSM at 1000mg, 1 time per day. I am very squeamish with textures and weird tastes so I could never use the powder form. I've heard that it's more potent but I just can't.

Last edited:

Shifra

Regarding the bolded text: I also take 1,000 mg of MSM daily and I ingest 1/2 tsp of natural apple cider vinegar every morning along with lots of water. The natural apple cider vinegar has completely eliminated my breakouts and I feel energized... yet mellow all day.:yep:

MzSwift

I took the powder for about 1.5 years before I switched to the powder capsule. I've been taking those for about 9 months now. There's another great (long) thread about MSM side effects. I think it's called "Any MSM Users" or something like that. In it, you'll see a lot of people share your experiences.

I experience a shorter, lighter period and my back pain is gone. That's enough to make me take it for life. I also noticed fuller breasts, I've gone up a cup size since I've started taking it.

Other ladies have experienced, weight loss, help with allergy symptoms, softer new growth, clearer skin and increased hair growth. Some ladies have reported spotting, headaches, vivid dreams, increased acne and other negative side effects.

I remember reading that it's best to take it with Vitamin C. I tend to take in a lot of Vitamin C so I wonder if that attributes to any of my postitive experiences.

ilong

God's Own
I just started back taking MSM pure powder (2000mg per tsp serving - no additives) Before stopping last year( out of laziness), I had, over time, increased my daily intake to 8000mg+. The only adverse affects were insomnia and headaches until I increased my water intake and took doses early in the day (before noon)
My hair was VERY soft, skin was amazing and general health was FANTASTIC.

yynot

I think I will order the powder to get maximum results. My results with the hard capsules are just okay...

InBloom

In my new-growth
Regarding the bolded text: I also take 1,000 mg of MSM daily and I ingest 1/2 tsp of natural apple cider vinegar every morning along with lots of water. The natural apple cider vinegar has completely eliminated my breakouts and I feel energized... yet mellow all day.:yep:

Wow...what a tip. I wish I had heard or known about this when I was trying to maintain MSM use. But, did you have irregular menstrual cycles or extra spotting? That was another unpleasant side effect for me..

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Wow...what a tip. I wish I had heard or known about this when I was trying to maintain MSM use. But, did you have irregular menstrual cycles or extra spotting? That was another unpleasant side effect for me..

My cycles have always pretty much been like clockwork every 28-31 days. I never used to spot between at all. I did notice cramping on day 3 which is unusual for me. Usually I cramp on the first day only. So maybe MSM had something to do with it. They weren't worse and didn't last all day but Iwas scratching my head like, ok why are you back cramps.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I took the powder for about 1.5 years before I switched to the powder capsule. I've been taking those for about 9 months now. There's another great (long) thread about MSM side effects. I think it's called "Any MSM Users" or something like that. In it, you'll see a lot of people share your experiences.

I experience a shorter, lighter period and my back pain is gone. That's enough to make me take it for life. I also noticed fuller breasts, I've gone up a cup size since I've started taking it.

Other ladies have experienced, weight loss, help with allergy symptoms, softer new growth, clearer skin and increased hair growth. Some ladies have reported spotting, headaches, vivid dreams, increased acne and other negative side effects.

I remember reading that it's best to take it with Vitamin C. I tend to take in a lot of Vitamin C so I wonder if that attributes to any of my postitive experiences.

What! Oh thank you for this. Very informative :) You had me at "extra cup size" LOL I need more boobage!

yynot

I tell you what...I'm not going to take MSM while It's my time of the month anymore. They say it's a natural blood thinner and I think it may be affecting my periods. I'm going a little longer than normal and that's not going to work. Im used to 2...3 days tops. I'm on day 5 and I think it may be a couple more to go!!!

AlwaysNatural

MSM plays a big role in initiating my cramps I stopped taking it for 2 months. Had the worst cramps yesterday starting drinking it again and they've lessened. Still going to the doc to buy some sort of cramp drugs :look: I don't do pain. Deff will make sure to make a habit of taking MSM again or at least 3 days prior.