MSM Users, I have a favor to ask...

T

Tee

Can you state what brand of MSM you use and indicate whether or not it is pure? The following test will let you know whether you have pure MSM with no fillers:

Empty the contents of 1 or 2 MSM capsules (or about 1/2 tsp. of the powder, if you use MSM powder) into a glass of warm water. If the MSM sinks and dissolves right away, you have pure MSM. If it floats and/or forms a film on top of the water, the MSM is not pure.

I did this test on my Trimedica MSM capsules, and it is not pure. I'd like to purchase pure MSM, so if you all could do this test and report back the results, it would help greatly in my search for the best MSM.

Thanks!

--Tee

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Girl, that capsule bounced back up to the top of that glass so fast!!! Ha ha--that's funny. Thanks for sharing--I have Walgreen's MSM (for the last time /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

A

AmilLion

I just ran and did the test. My MSM tablet fell straight to the bottom lol.

It's GNC's MSM 1500.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Eliminate the guesswork and use powdered MSM. This also cuts down on the number of pills taken everyday. I take 1/2 tsp. (2000 mg) of Vitaminshoppe MSM Powder daily. The only ingredient is MSM. A 1 lb. container costs around $25.

Armyqt

Tee, I have the Trimedica lignusil MSM powder and I the way I take it every day is by dissolving it into warm water and adding some juice to it. Mine always dissolves and sinks to the bottom!! I like this brand.

T

Tee

I may try MSM in powder form, but I prefer capsules for the convenience.

I want to stay away from the Trimedica brand, because I'm using Trimedica capsules and they make my eyes red and give me headaches. I haven't taken them in a week, and the red eyes and headaches are gone, so I'm pretty sure the Trimedica capsules was the cause. I used to take NOW brand MSM, without any problems, so I think it has to do with the fillers in the Trimedica capsules and not MSM itself. I never tested the NOW MSM for purity, so if anyone uses that brand, please perform the test and report back.

MSCHICHI

Tee,

I have used the Trimedica MSM w/ Lignisul. I had good results from it quickly. Even my nails got very hard and durable. One of the reasons I haven't gotten any more is because my budget got a little tighter for a while, and now because I am thinking about getting a powdered form of MSM.

I started taking this, as it was recommended as pure by other users. I did the test myself anyway a while back and it sank quickly and passed. However, you never know how someone may react to ingredients.

Taking MSM often causes side effects as it is ridding your body of toxins. Some of the most common are headaches, and even rashes. Usually the way to remedy these things is to cut down on MSM dosages, and cut out or limit certain things in your diet.

I have heard some people question the purity of the NOW brand, but it has been a long time since I have seen reviews on it. I would definitely test if it I were you. If you aren't having any problems with the NOW brand, it could be that it is because it may not contain as much MSM, which may not be a good thing.

I think I will start using the powders anyway, because as Sassy said, it takes the guesswork out, and you can get more when you buy it in bulk.

Ennyaa

I'm using the Trimedica Powdered MSM also. I take a tsp a day in a glass of water and it sinks to the bottom and dissolves pretty quickly. Sorry to hear it made you not feel well. I've been taking it for about a month now and have had no problems. Just VERY strong nails (which is something I've NEVER had.)

Boadicea

I'm taking Twinlab MSM (1000mg) tablets, not capsules and when I tried the test, it sank straight to the bottom

adrienne0914

my TriMedica capsules passed the test. good thing because i will never take the powder again. i was so inconsistent because of the taste that it was like i wasn't taking MSM. lol!

adrienne

T

Tee

Hmmm... maybe I have a bad batch of Trimedica MSM capsules. When I did the test, it formed a clump and did not sink or dissolve at all.

Adrienne, did yours sink and dissolve right away? Also, where did you get your capsules? I got mine from VitaminShoppe.com, but I'm a little hesitant to order Trimedia MSM from them again considering the ones I ordered from them before are "unpure".

--Tee

adrienne0914

hey, i got mine from them too!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

now i'm really curious. it's been a while since i did the test, so i don't remember how fast, etc... i'll try it again when i get home and post my results.

adrienne

MSCHICHI

Tee,

I think I understand what happened. I didn't fully understand how you tried the test before, so I went back and re-read it.

To test the capsules, you aren't supposed to empty the contents, you just drop the capsules in.

If the capsule sinks, it is fine, if not, it is full of fillers.

CHOCOLATECHILD

Tee, can you do this test with any other vitamin suppliment. I just ordered $30.00 dollars worth of vitamins from "pruitanspride". Has anyone else orderd any of their vitamins and what where your results??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ennyaa

I'm taking the Puritan's Pride Biotin (for just under a month now) and have had no problems with it. As for growth results I'll see in a couple of weeks when I take out these twists. I'm loving their buy one get one free sale by the way! Fits right into my PJ budget. lol

TBC72

Supergirl, don't feel so bad. PharmAssure bounce back like a basketball!!! I've been taking them things for a month too!! Oh well...

adrienne0914

tee, i did the test again. mine didn't dissolve right away, but it did eventually. i also tested the Vitamin Shoppe brand. it didn't pass the test. sigh...

now i'm confused about how to perform the test though. how can you know if it's pure if it's enclosed in the capsule? i would think the capsule would naturally float.

according to the book MSM Miracle, this is how the test is performed:

"Take a glass of water, clear not milky, add the powder, wait a minute then stir. The water should stay clear, because MSM will dissolve completely. Most additives will not. Also the taste should be slightly bitter, not sweet or salty."

if you continue to buy the powder form, check out Ebay. they have the best prices by far. i think i paid about $25 for two 1-pound containers. it always passed the test too.

chocolatechild, the only other test that i know of was posted at another board. i don't know if this can be used for all vitamins though. it was from the Prevention website, but is no longer there:

"You place your multi in half a cup of vinegar then stir it every now and again for 20 minutes. It should disolve completely in that amount of time. If not you aren't getting the benefit of the vitamin and need to take another brand."

i guess the vinegar simulates the contents of the stomach, and if it doesn't dissolve in that time, it won't be absorbed completely. i take a CHEAP multi that dissolved in a few minutes without me even stirring it. lol!

what do yall think of this one?

adrienne

T

Tee

Adrienne and MSCHICHI,

If you're testing on a capsule, you're supposed to test using the powder that's contained within the capsule (very easy to open, just pull it apart gently). Mine never dissolved, and I let it sit in the water for about 45 minutes. This doesn't mean that Trimedica MSM is "bad" MSM, but they're cutting it with some other substances that are fillers and/or preservatives.

BlkMane

I also tested my Vitamin Shoppe, 1,000mg. MSM and it DID NOT PASS THE TEST. Dang, I didn't know this brand had fillers. Any updates regarding PURE MSM brands (in capsule form)? Previously, I had Twinlab MSM and it did past the test, I might go back to that brand.

Adrienne! What brand of powder MSM are you buying off of Ebay? Who was selling it, a store or an individual?

Does anyone have Puritan's Pride MSM? If so, can you do the test?

Thanks.

churchlady

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am taking the Natures Bounty MSM and it has passed the test. It contains 750mg. I'm also taking the Natrol Hair Skin Nails vitamins, last month I had 1 inch of new growth. I know this for sure because I had a bald spot in the back of my head-from Max's Dominican salon-and it has grown out 1 inch last month, I could not believe it. Last week I purchased the PPB and the B-complex +B12 they arrived within 3 days I cant wait to see how much growth I will get this month.

LondonDiva

I use the powdered lignusil MSM. I put like 8,000mg of powder in a 1.5 litre bottle of water and take it that way. My new growth has come in real soft, and it's a lot easier for me than taking it in pill form. Plus it's the pure stuff not mixed with anything. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Hi JenJen /images/graemlins/wave.gif

It's a brand called higher nature, which I think is British. It doesn't have a web address on the package but maybe you can get it at vitaminshoppe in the website or something. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa

so i did the test and well needless to say very little of the capsule sank...i read the bottle and it sez that of the 750mg capsule only 255mg is msm /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif y do they do this??

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I just bought Nature's Sunshine's MSM
Products The test won't apply because it's in pill form and the pill will def. hit the bottom, but that won't mean it's pure... anyone uses this brand?

Also, I had to buy time-released Vitamin C, which was recommended as a complement for better absorption of the MSM....

LondonDiva

Laela

If it's in a pill form it's not pure (100% MSM) It needs other agents to hold it together in it's tablet form like caking agents and stearic acid are added to a lot of tablets. Pure MSM is usually found in crystal/flake form (like a powder) with nothing added to it. I use this and mix mine with water.

Vitamin C is good to take with MSM along with Glucosamine (Sp?) for good absorption
I just take mine straight in the water and have had EXCELLENT results. I got soft new growth and week 6 is coming next week and I could go another 6 weeks without a relaxer

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BlkMane said:
I also tested my Vitamin Shoppe, 1,000mg. MSM and it DID NOT PASS THE TEST. Dang, I didn't know this brand had fillers. Any updates regarding PURE MSM brands (in capsule form)? Previously, I had Twinlab MSM and it did past the test, I might go back to that brand.

Adrienne! What brand of powder MSM are you buying off of Ebay? Who was selling it, a store or an individual?

Does anyone have Puritan's Pride MSM? If so, can you do the test?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
BlkMane,

From what I understand, the capsules contain fillers. I read that on the back on the ingredient list. The powder is pure (plain ole msm - nothing else).