My 1 Year Hair Journey. I am BSB Length Yay!!! (Lots of Pics!!!)

Kellum

I'm actually a few days early posting this, but I know I will be very busy. I better post it now before I forget. I began my healthy hair journey April 16th 2009 almost a year ago. Here is my 1 year update.

I did a texlax touch up, henna, and dusted my ends with my split ender. I am very pleased with my hair. It is the healthiest it has been probably ever. The only thing I wish is that I didn't have all of these layers. They are slowly growing and catching up. My plan going forward is to continue with my regimen and to grow to MBL maybe WL and then keep it at that length slowly trim away these layers.

Starting Pic April 16, 2009.

Touch up and silk wrap 7/30/09.
Touch up 12/13/2009, Trim 12/17/2009. Not trimming for 8 months led me to having to get 1 1/2" cut off. Had I trimmed/dusted my ends during that time, my ends would have been in better shape. I wouldn't have had to get that much cut and I would probably be almost MBL by now. Oh well can't dry over spilled milk. I learned my lesson.

April 9, 2010 getting ready for my texlax touch up. I am doing the half and half method. Whoa, ignore the huge pimple on my forehead, LOL.

I finished my touch up, and my hennaed my hair. I dc'd over night, rinsed in the morning. Sorry I don't have any pics of the rest of the process.
Applied my leave ins, sealed, and placed my hair in a braid to go run errands.
Then I did my hair in a french braid when it was a little drier, and ran more errands.
Took down my french braid to get ready to blow dry.

Applied Ion Anti Frizz Straightener and Argan Oil and blow dried with medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Flat ironed hair.

My scalp is a little discolored from the henna.
Color from the henna. I love it!!!

This is how i like to wear my hair. I like the sides to hang in the front.​

Just playing around a little. Believe me I didn't go to sleep with my hair loose and I didn't stay laying on the pillow long with my hair loose. I don't have silk or satin pillow cases.
I dusted my ends with my split ender. As you can see, there was no length loss. I love that thing. It sure comes in handy. My ends are still in good shape from my last professional trim in December 2009. I will probably get another trim with my next touch up 13 weeks from now.

There isn't a gap in my hair. I just didn't comb it out enough. My ends are a little curled so they are turning in a little.

I wear my bra low, so when my hair gets to the bottom of the bra, I should be MBL. WL is a few inches below that. I hope to be at MBL by maybe October this year. That will be a good birthday present for me.

ETA: I'm 5'9" tall.

Last edited:

Kellum

What have I learned over this year of taking care of my hair. Well I have learned:

• Be consistent with your regimen. I have done that. I have pretty much stuck to the same regimen through out the whole year. I have stuck to the same products pretty much too. I have added few new ones, but I didn't jump on every bandwagon or new product because someone raved about it. I found what worked for my hair and stuck to it. Products/Tools

• I have been on an Ayurvedic regimen from the beginning of my journey and stuck to it faithfully. My hair loves it, so there is no need to change what I am doing. My regimen

• My hair loves to be left alone. For the first few weeks after a touch up I will wear my hair out. I may wear it straight for a couple of weeks. Then do braid outs, french braids, and buns. When I get to where I have a good amount of new growth or I just don't feel like dealing with my hair, I leave my hair alone. I wear half wigs, do some braids, twists, etc...

• When I am trying to leave my hair alone, I will do my Ayurveda regimen every 2 weeks instead of weekly. I still moisturize daily to every other day and spritz with my tea if I remember. When wearing my half wigs, I cornrow my hair that is under it. I don't fool with trying to blend textures. I just put on a headband and keep it moving.

• Long stretches are not for me. My hair flourished with them, but it is just too much work to do the touch up and I use a lot of relaxer. At the longest I will stretch to 13 weeks. That means 4 touch ups a year.

• My hair loves protein. At the beginning of my journey, I steered away from it. Everyone had me scared about do to protein over load. I was just moisturizing and not doing protein dcs. My hair felt dry no matter if I moisturized. The minute I added protein into the mix, my changed. I dc with a protein and moisturizing conditioner every week. I do protein treatments with Emergencee at least every 6 weeks.

• For me, trimming/dusting my ends is a must. I can not go extended periods of time without any scissors touching my hair. Even if I am protecting my hair, I still need to dust/trim my ends. Going extended periods of time not trimming/dusting leads to me having to get big cuts and losing progress. I learned that lesson in December 2009. Dusting/trimming my ends keeps my ends regularly keeps my ends/hair healthy in the long run.

• Listen to your hair. It will tell you what it wants. From there, it is easy peasy. Have fun and stop stressing.
Sorry for the huge pics. I don't know how to resize. I also have pics in my fotki and blog.

I added info about my diet, supplements, and such to page 3.

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
girl your hair is so pretty and i love that dress you were wearing in the last few pics.

OT: where did you get that little towel/robe/dress thing? i can never find it in stores but i want one so bad. ♥

Kellum

girl your hair is so pretty and i love that dress you were wearing in the last few pics.

OT: where did you get that little towel/robe/dress thing? i can never find it in stores but i want one so bad. ♥

Thanks, I got that towel/robe from Walmart a couple of years ago. They always have them. I believe it was less than $20 dollars. It between $10 and 15. I love that thing. I use it every time I do my hair. It has straps and you can remove them because they button on. I

PPGbubbles

I love threads with tons of pitchas :) !!!! Congrats on making BSL and best of luck on growing to MBL im sure you will make it in no time!

Kellum

Your progress is amazing. It gives me hope.
Thanks, you will get there. It just takes patience. I learned to just put my hair away when I got frustrated or impatient. Half wigs became my best friend.

Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off.:yep:

Thanks, it sure has. It feels good to see the progress.

Great job!!! :clap: your hair is lovely!!

Your hair looks great. Thanks for the inspiration.

I love threads with tons of pitchas :) !!!! Congrats on making BSL and best of luck on growing to MBL im sure you will make it in no time!

Thanks, me too. I like a lot of pics. I hope to be there by Oct. That would be nice.

It's nice. Congrats on your progress.

lilsparkle825

beautimous hair!! i love the nice thick ends, and i actually like the layers (although i imagine they can be a pain).

when is your birthday? i am trying to reach MBL by my birthday as well...mine is 10/13.

Kellum

You weren't playin with that "lots of pics" warning :lol: Great progress! Thanks for sharing. :yep:

Sure wasn't, LOL. That's why I warned ya'll. Thanks :)

beautimous hair!! i love the nice thick ends, and i actually like the layers (although i imagine they can be a pain).

when is your birthday? i am trying to reach MBL by my birthday as well...mine is 10/13.

Thanks :) Me and my layers have a love hate relationship. I like the shape that my hair has, but at the same time I have a lot of layers. You can't really see them that well now because my hair is flat ironed straight, but if I roller set it, you would see all the layers and it makes my hair look thinner to me. My shortest layers is in my crown and that is SL or a little longer and my longest is BSB. That is a big difference, at least 6". That is a whole years worth of growth, ugh:wallbash:. I just want less layering in the back, I don't have to be totally blunt. I like my face framing ones.

My birthday is Oct. 4th. I hope to make it to MBL or pretty darn close by then. I will root you on you do the same for me. I hope we both make it by then.

SelfStyled

Happy Hairversary!!! I love your hair Kellum, you have done a great job this past year. The henna color looks nice too.

Janet'

Kellum!!!!

I am SO happy for you! Your hair looks fantabulous! Congratulations on making BSB. You truly are on your way to MBL!!!

Kellum

Congratulations Kellum I am so happy for you :)
Next step MBL and beyond :D

Thanks:), yea that is the next stop for me. I can't wait. Looking at your siggy, you aren't far from BSB as well.

Your hair is beautiful!:clapping:

:congrats: beautiful porgress. Keep doing what you're doing :yep:

Thanks, :) that's the plan. Its working so I'm not gonna stop.

Your hair is lovely :)

Very lovely, nice and thick hair. cant wait til I get there.

Thanks, you will be there in no time. :)

Great job! Great Progress!!

Thanks Beans :)

your hair is very pretty

Great job!
Thanks, I love your hair. I hope to be where you are one day.

Kellum!!!!

I am SO happy for you! Your hair looks fantabulous! Congratulations on making BSB. You truly are on your way to MBL!!!

Thanks Janet :)

Happy Hairversary!!! I love your hair Kellum, you have done a great job this past year. The henna color looks nice too.

Thanks SelfStyled, I love the henna color too just hate the process. I had gotten really lazy with doing them. I'm gonna have to keep it up again.

Last edited:

grow

GREAT PROGRESS, KELLUM!
THANKS FOR POSTING ALL OF THE LOVELY PICTURES!!!
SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

caribgirl

Great progress!! I loved all the pics, esp how your hair looked after you took out the french braid!!!
Congrats and thanks for sharing!