My 1st Rollerset attempt on 3c Natural Hair (tons of pics)

BillsBackerz67

Okay yall I was about to have a break down...I was seriously contemplating texturizing my hair. If I wear my hair curly I get knots:perplexed. If I wear my hair straight I get split ends from the heat...and when my hair splits, it SPLITS:nono: Like big huge spilt ends that looks like forks or the ends of tre branches. Not little ones that can be saved until the next scheduled trim.

So my last resort was to stop being lazy and attempt a rollerset....and lets just say that Im very very happy with my results for a first timer and if it looks like this now, I can only imagine what it will look like after I master the technique:grin::grin::grin::grin:.

I washed and deep conditioned with Silk Elements Shampoo and Conditoner. I used the method from hairlove's website to rollerset:
http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

The products I used were Biolage Leave in Tonic, ORS Foam Setting Mouse, ORS Hair polisher, and water in a spray bottle. I thoroughly saturated every section with water and added a little bit of setting lotion and polisher. I went under the soft bonnet dryer for almost 1.5hrs (I was really afraid of having bad results so I stayed under until I knew for sure that my hair would was dry) After the rollers where out, I flat ironed my roots (not the entire length of my hair) with the ceramic iron. I was going to wrap but I kinda like the curls so Ill keep them out. Hopefully Ill notice a change in my hair :) BTW even though I am a type 3 my entire haed is defnitely not the same texture. I have really thick kinky roots esp in the crown hair. That hair is very coarse resistant and wiry and literally repels water:nono:

Here are pics:

Attachments

• rollers with pins.jpg
    rollers with pins.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 185
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 202
  • big perm.jpg
    big perm.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 154
  • back perm.jpg
    back perm.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 155
  • flatironroots.jpg
    flatironroots.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 287
Products and tools:

Attachments

• products.jpg
    products.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 76
  • pins hairnet.jpg
    pins hairnet.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 62
  • rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 84
Wow! Your hair looks great. I'm glad you found a healthier alternative to flat ironing. And since your first time rollerset came out so well, it can only get better.

GORGEOUS! You did an excellent job.

I want to see someone with some 4b TML nappy naps do one of these roller sets. I really want to do one, but I rather someone else go first. Lol!

Wow! Your hair looks great. I'm glad you found a healthier alternative to flat ironing. And since your first time rollerset came out so well, it can only get better.
Im glad as well. when i suggested it to the stylist as an alternative to blowdrying before flat ironing she looked at me like I was crazy:perplexed and said that my hair was too thick and water repellent to take to the rollers. Ah well I saved 80 bucks this month. Its cool boo:rolleyes:

I want to see someone with some 4b TML nappy naps do one of these roller sets. I really want to do one, but I rather someone else go first. Lol!
It can be done. I think I saw a few 4b naurals attempt rollersets when I looked in the search feature. Granted theirs where a little bit crinklier but that can be smoothed out to an extent with the flat iron. You couldnt even see my roots after I removed the rollers at first. They where no where near straight.

Nevermind I see you posted them :grin:
I dont think those are the ons she uses. Actually the ones I happened to buy before realizing that there are all sorts of meshrollers are the rollers that everyone said where not so hot to use:rolleyes: But I had no probs with them. They're very easy to grip and didn't slip while I was trying to roll.

Im glad as well. when i suggested it to the stylist as an alternative to blowdrying before flat ironing she looked at me like I was crazy:perplexed and said that my hair was too thick and water repellent to take to the rollers. Ah well I saved 80 bucks this month. Its cool boo:rolleyes:

Exactly. Folks always trying to get in your pocket. And you figured out a free alternative that's better for your hair.

I really don't know if it would come out straight. I do rollersets and airdry and all I get is a curly fro. I'm not going to try a hooded dryer but if you do make sure you start a thread.

Love it!!!

Rollersetting is my new thing!

I can't believe I ignored the bandwagon for so long- my hair loves the styles and it's lasted me all week. It actually looks better the older it gets. Today is the last day I'm wearing my set from last weekend and ppl kept complimenting me on my hair :grin:

Your set is beautiful! :love:

It came out great. Makes me wanna try again. Those rollers look a little scary, I wonder if I could just use the smooth ones. I have so many rollers, I really should try again. My other attempts, uh, um . . . Anyway, let me go back and see if you had to blow dry first.

It came out great. Makes me wanna try again. Those rollers look a little scary, I wonder if I could just use the smooth ones. I have so many rollers, I really should try again. My other attempts, uh, um . . . Anyway, let me go back and see if you had to blow dry first.

I meant to ask you in your other thread but...have you tried bantu knot outs? I actually like the curls from those way better than from rollersets. I just two strand twist (big enough so that it doesn't take that long) and then do the bantu knot. Let it airdry overnight and take it out...works for me on damp hair or hair that's already been stretched and is dry.

I wonder if you'd get a lot of tangles doing that?

thanks! actually all the rollers are is a coiled spring with mesh cloth (like a hamper) wrapped around it. Nothing scary and it didnt break my hair or cause me to have dents. I started off using end papers but I stpped using them 1/2 way through. my only problem doing this whole thing was keeping my hair wet. Like I said earlier certain parts of my head literally dont absorb water so I had to use the whole spray bottle on one small section of my head. I didnt use a blow dryer, and I hope to never use one again. it ruins my ends.

Rollersetting is one of the best ways to smooth curly hair. Practice on dry hair if you need to improve technique and roller placement. Your set looks great anyway.

It looks great. You did good.:yep:

It took me years to master rollersetting and you do good the first time, just not fair.:lol:

Hey Miss Cheerleader, I really like your hair. I'm sure it was difficult to do but the results were worth it! Have fun!

You hair looks great. I followed her methods but I couldn't get the mesh roller to stay in my hair so I switched to some magnetic rollers with the cover. I am also a 3c natural and that was the best rollersetting job I've done since being a natural.

Does anyone know how you get the pin to stay in the mesh roller that doesn't have the brush in it?

Also, did you try the silk wrap instructions? Was it successful?

Back