My 1st time trying henna...

cocomama

I have been toying with using henna to dye my hair for many moons now. So after much prayer and fasting(LOL), I finally worked up enough nerve to try LUSH Caca Noir Mama. The Caca Noir makes the hair black because Indigo as well as other ingredients like coco butter are mixed in this thick henna bar. I wanted my hair super duper black. so after doing a lot of research I decided to put in Indigo immediately after applying my Lush Henna Caca Noir Mama bar. This step ensures that I would get the blackest color possible.

What I used:
Lush Henna Caca Noir
Indigo
*CMC powder (optional)
Distilled Water

The Process:

You will first need to apply a Henna application. I decided to use Lush Henna because I'm a novice to the Henna world and didn't want too many trial and errors with color in my hair.

1. I grated 3 Lush Henna Caca Noir bars into a powdery fine grain. My hair is right above APL and 3 bars were enough for me. I think that by taking the time to grate the Lush Henna into a powdery texture actually was the reason I was able to get away with just using 3 bars instead of the whole bar. Even though doing this was time consuming it will save you money in the long run.

2. Add the grated lush henna powder to a glass bowl than place it in a pot of water. I only filled my pot half way. This kept the water from spilling into my Henna mixture.

3. Slowly pour in distilled warm/hot water while stirring. You want to get a thick consistency...similiar to brownie mix. As you can see mine came out more like yogurt, because I added to much water too fast. So make sure to only add a little at a time to achieve a thick green mixture.

4. Put a liberal amount of vaseline or Lush's Ultrabalm around the hairline to keep the henna from staining your hairline. I recommend that you apply some thick Vaseline to your hands and wrist because even though I had on gloves I some how got Henna in my nails during the process. It took me forever to get it off...so do yourself a favor coat your hands/wrist than put your gloves on.

5. Apply mixture liberally to your hair, cover and allow to sit for about 1-4 hours. - Do not manipulate your hair too much over this time. Manipulating it can cause a mass of tangles and knots.

6. Since I wanted to achieve the darkest color possible I didn't cover my head with saran wrap, but I did cover it with a rayon net with large holes. Indigo needs air to fully develop in it's darkest shiniest glory.

7. After 1-4 hours, rinse with water until you rinsed out most of the Henna. You can then rinse the remainder of the Henna out with the aid of conditioner, OR you can immerse your hair in a tub/sink filled with water. I did all three...rinse, immerse, and conditioned in that order.

8. Once you have thoroughly rinsed out the Henna, it's time to mix your Indigo.

7. In a new clean bowl, add 1-2 packs of Indigo to it. I also added 2 pack of CMC powder to my two packs of Indigo mix. The CMC powder is optional...it makes the mixture creamier. You could used vanilla pudding instead.

8. Slowly pour in distilled water while stirring

9. Once the mixture has gotten to a thick, pudding consistency; you can apply it to your hair immediately! No need to wait, this stuff releases color immediately.

10. Apply it the same way you applied the Lush Henna. Make sure you apply this mixture from the roots to the tip for nice, for even coverage.

11. Allow the Indigo to sit for about 1-2 hours for a rich, black tone. For even darker tones [like deep night black], leave it on overnight.

12. Rinse with water until you rinsed out most of the Indigo. You can then rinse the remainder of the Indigo out with the aid of conditioner, OR you can immerse your hair in a tub/sink filled with water. I did all three...rinse, immerse, and conditioned in that order.

13. Now it's time to condition your hair. Deep condition with a plastic bag using your favorite deep conditioner. This restores healthy moisture levels in your strands, making your hair supple, and full of body. I used a cheapie conditioner mix with honey, avocado oil and coconut oil.

SIDENOTE: I used two packs of Indigo which was a big mistake, because I only used half of my mix. Next time, I will start with one pack than add as needed. Also make sure to used a silk or satin black bonnet to protect your sheets afterwards!

BOTTOM LINE: The process is messy as all get out and a definite pain. But...my hair came out a shiny black stallion black. Since I went natural I have only used "natural" dye on my hair a few times. I never liked the black color that I achieve plus I was always suspicious of the "natural" ingredients.
My color came out similar to when I used to put black gloss color on my hair many years ago.
My hair feels healthier and stronger, looks silkier and appears light-reflecting radiant!

http://gumbohair.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-very-1st-time-trying-hennalush-caca.html

Fhrizzball

Henna didn't do anything wrong with my pipes when I used it. I use a hair catcher though so I don't know if that helps or not. Good job with your henna. I'm still waiting for my Rhassoul clay to come in from hennasook before I try to do henna again.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
cocomama

Very Pretty Results and Very Detailed Description/Process.:yep:

I've never had a problem with Clogged drains either. I think if the Henna is Uber Finely sifted, it shouldn't be an issue.

The one caution, is to Rinse thoroughly. And when you finish Rinsing, Rinse some more.

I've never had a problem with it staining sheets, nails, pillowcases, bonnets etc..due to proper rinsing during the process.

Vey nice results

rririla

@cocomama...

I was wondering where you purchased your cmc powder? I have only seen it on websites but did you go to an actual store? and also, the vanilla pudding comment??????!!!!! I can really use that as well???!!!! I find it is soooo difficult to get the indigo to act right...it has a tendency to crumble and fall off my hair....whatever info you have would be appreciated, especially about that vanilla pudding thing!!!!!!

BlackHairDiva

SO when you apply the indigo on the hair. DO you need to cover your hair with saran wrap and a shower cap for the indigo the be black or is that not necessary with this method?

I have been toying with using henna to dye my hair for many moons now. So after much prayer and fasting(LOL), I finally worked up enough nerve to try LUSH Caca Noir Mama. The Caca Noir makes the hair black because Indigo as well as other ingredients like coco butter are mixed in this thick henna bar. I wanted my hair super duper black. so after doing a lot of research I decided to put in Indigo immediately after applying my Lush Henna Caca Noir Mama bar. This step ensures that I would get the blackest color possible.

cocomama

BlackHairDiva it you cover it with saran wrap or a plastic bag than your hair will have more of a reddish tone to it. I wanted mine jet black so I used a rayon net with large holes in it.