My 1st Wash/Press/Curl

Here's Victor's special instructions in red:

Hi Victor. I just applied Lok & Blok to my Type 4b hair for the first time last Saturday using the instructions you provided. Instructions are different for 4a to 4b hair. We are in the middle of changing that information but below are suggestions for better results.

Lok & Blok did straighten my hair in 1-2 passes (see picture attached) and my hair held up well in the rain storm we had yesterday here in NYC. However, I would like to know if it is normal for my straightened hair to be stiff and hard to comb with a wide tooth comb once the hair has cooled down from the heat application?

1. Because 4B hair is so thick and kinky, you need to apply in about 8 sections using about a dime to quarter size depending on how thick your hair. Comb through each section prior to flat ironing. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER PRODUCTS WITH L&B AS THEY MAY MAKE YOUR HAIR STIFF OR DILUTE L&B if they are oils, gels or other flattening products, which tend to stiffen your hair. The key is to use less L&B but enough to control your hair from climate changes … experiment. Unfortunately the more that you use, the higher the chance of your hair getting stiffer.
2. Make sure that your flat iron truly reaches 450 degrees. Many say that they do but many don’t. Our flat iron on our site retails for $36 dollars and I have tested against just about every flat iron out there from expensive to cheap and it outperforms them all.
3. One pass is all that you need if you go slowly for a count of 8. I just flat ironed 4CCC hair, super, super thick. So thick that I couldn’t even get my fingers to her scalp. I had to take small sections. It came out absolutely beautiful and lasted a week in rainy weather.
4. After flat ironing your hair, add more L&B to your roots, brush and hold the flat iron for a count of 3 then swiftly pull away from the rest of the hair because that was already flattened. Your roots will definitely flatten.
5. When finished, add a little more L&B throughout and brush for extra protection. If you chose, you can add a little more and brush each day if the weather is cold or humid.
6. If your hair is stiff on the ends it could mean that you need to trim them. On the girl I just mentioned about with the 4CCC hair, after I flat ironed, I trimmed her hair. Her ends went from stiff to soft.
7. Make sure that you haven’t left too much conditioner or other weighty products in your hair. The more added products, the stiffer the hair with less movement. Shampoo, Conditioner and L&B.

I don’t know if you ever tried a BKT (Brazilian Keratin Treatment). I have quite a few African American clients that I have given the treatment. After the treatment they say that you don’t need to use L&B but I found that it helps make the BKT last longer and with more shine. They last from 3 to 5 months … incredible treatment if you prefer your hair straight all of the time.

Also, I noticed that my roots and ends were still "kinky" even though the flat iron was set at 450 degrees. Should I add more Lok & Blok to my hair next time? If so, how much should I add? It’s not a matter of how much more that you add as it is how long it has been since you had your haircut. It’s really difficult to soften crinkled ends which is due to other products that you have used. They burn off after the first swipe with the flat iron, after that you are burning raw hair, which won’t happen with L&B but you need to get the swiping down to one pass. If not, you may need a new ceramic flat iron, never a metal one.

Looks really good!!!!! Gives me an idea of what to expect when I finally flat iron

wow your hair came out fabulous! why did it take 9 hours?

It took several hours to put my hair in braids (I put in 17 or 18 braids) and the ouchless bands kept snapping on me, even during the washing process. But once I got my hair washed and dried, it took about 3 hours to straighten my hair.

Re: My 1st Wash/Press/Curl (Update)

Here's Victor's special instructions in red:

Hi Victor. I just applied Lok & Blok to my Type 4b hair for the first time last Saturday using the instructions you provided. Instructions are different for 4a to 4b hair. We are in the middle of changing that information but below are suggestions for better results.

Lok & Blok did straighten my hair in 1-2 passes (see picture attached) and my hair held up well in the rain storm we had yesterday here in NYC. However, I would like to know if it is normal for my straightened hair to be stiff and hard to comb with a wide tooth comb once the hair has cooled down from the heat application?

1. Because 4B hair is so thick and kinky, you need to apply in about 8 sections using about a dime to quarter size depending on how thick your hair. Comb through each section prior to flat ironing. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER PRODUCTS WITH L&B AS THEY MAY MAKE YOUR HAIR STIFF OR DILUTE L&B if they are oils, gels or other flattening products, which tend to stiffen your hair. The key is to use less L&B but enough to control your hair from climate changes … experiment. Unfortunately the more that you use, the higher the chance of your hair getting stiffer.
2. Make sure that your flat iron truly reaches 450 degrees. Many say that they do but many don’t. Our flat iron on our site retails for $36 dollars and I have tested against just about every flat iron out there from expensive to cheap and it outperforms them all.
3. One pass is all that you need if you go slowly for a count of 8. I just flat ironed 4CCC hair, super, super thick. So thick that I couldn’t even get my fingers to her scalp. I had to take small sections. It came out absolutely beautiful and lasted a week in rainy weather.
4. After flat ironing your hair, add more L&B to your roots, brush and hold the flat iron for a count of 3 then swiftly pull away from the rest of the hair because that was already flattened. Your roots will definitely flatten.
5. When finished, add a little more L&B throughout and brush for extra protection. If you chose, you can add a little more and brush each day if the weather is cold or humid.
6. If your hair is stiff on the ends it could mean that you need to trim them. On the girl I just mentioned about with the 4CCC hair, after I flat ironed, I trimmed her hair. Her ends went from stiff to soft.
7. Make sure that you haven’t left too much conditioner or other weighty products in your hair. The more added products, the stiffer the hair with less movement. Shampoo, Conditioner and L&B.

I don’t know if you ever tried a BKT (Brazilian Keratin Treatment). I have quite a few African American clients that I have given the treatment. After the treatment they say that you don’t need to use L&B but I found that it helps make the BKT last longer and with more shine. They last from 3 to 5 months … incredible treatment if you prefer your hair straight all of the time.

Also, I noticed that my roots and ends were still "kinky" even though the flat iron was set at 450 degrees. Should I add more Lok & Blok to my hair next time? If so, how much should I add? It’s not a matter of how much more that you add as it is how long it has been since you had your haircut. It’s really difficult to soften crinkled ends which is due to other products that you have used. They burn off after the first swipe with the flat iron, after that you are burning raw hair, which won’t happen with L&B but you need to get the swiping down to one pass. If not, you may need a new ceramic flat iron, never a metal one.

I wash and pressed my hair last Saturday (1/30/10) by myself for a second time and I've attached some pics below.

All I can say is that I'm lovin' my hair now! It is so straight and shiny! I followed Victor's special instructions (above) to the letter except for using the Nexxus Emergencee Protein Reconstructor as directed and ditching my Solia flat iron for Victor's Babyliss flat iron (which gets very hot by the way).

It's been almost a week and I've exercised heavily for 4 days this week and my hair is still straight!!! I'm tempted to wait another week before washing and flat ironing my hair again.

Attachments

• Rt Side.jpg
    Rt Side.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You're hair looks great, so nice and thick! Good choice going with the Matrix Sleek Look. That poo and con are the best for when straightening hair, IMO.

Back