My 2nd Dominican Salon Experience

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hey ladies. Let me tell you about my experience at the famous Lily's in Norcross.

The first time I visited a DS(Mary Jane's On Auburn in downtown Atlanta) was a very horrible experience. The girl, Angela, burned my head so bad, it was awful. That was a year and a half ago.

Some of my friends have visited Lily's over the last several weeks coming out looking fierce. They said they experienced ZERO burns. After much contemplation, I bit and decided to give it, yet, another shot. I invited Chosen to go with me since she had never been to a salon before!:look:

We get there, after putting our name on the list the night before, and are seen right away. The girl we wanted, Vanessa, was not in, so I chose Elsie.

Now, Chosen, is seen first because she had a date for the afternoon and needed by out by 1p.

They call me and I sit at the sink and Elsie says, "Oh you're natural" I said, "Yes, well sorta, I havent' had a relaxer in a year so I still have relaxed ends" She said, "Well, is your hair the real kinky, kind?" I said, "Well, if you mean does it shrink up is real thick, thick, no. You can roll it." She just looks and says,"Okay, we wash and we see." I told her my daughter's hair does that. It has MAJOR shrinkage and is real kinky and dense. She said she couldn't do that texture of hair. I had to cancel her appointment and she was disappointed. Meanwhile, while she is washing my hair, she starts speaking in Spanish to some other ladies and I KNOW she's talking about me, but I could care less. She sits me down and starts parting and rolling. She was using that tiny rattail comb and I was praying that I didn't lose any hair :( It didn't appear like she was having a hard time rolling it. It parted easily and she didn't have to plow through my hair. So I say, "How is it Elsie, is it hard?" She's like, "It hard but I'll see what I can do." She had my hair rolled in about 15 min. I sit under the dryer a good hour and then she said do another 10 mins.

Afterwards, I sit and watch her turn Chosen's hair into fabulous swingalicious hair! :yep: I'm looking at the products and her technique and KNOW I can replicate this. I'm next. She unrolls my hair and my hair looks like it's been blow dried and curled. She combs it and starts sectioning for the blowout. She didn't appear to be struggling at all however, I asked her would she do my hair for me again and she says, "You won't get a texturizer?" I said, "Naw" and she makes a face. My hair was so swingy and bouncy I just love it! It's so gorgeous and I dont' think she'll do it again.

What's the deal? I thought the Dominican's did natural all textures. Oh well, I bet I'll be sneaking up there again for her to do it. I hate for that to be the last time though. Folk say it looks like I relaxed my hair...:grin:

lsw29

One Praying, maybe you should try Norma's which is a dominican salon. Pam Pam is natural and that is where she goes. She says that they don't complain about natural hair. Also, try Too Groovy, they specialize in natural hair and your hair will be swinging just like the dominicans did it.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well Congratulations, glad to hear you had a great experience. They style natural hair, they just don't like to and like to take the easy way out and try to throw in the texturizer on everybody that's natural. I don't care what DS you go to in whatever state if someone is natural, they always say they tried to get them to get a texturize/relaxer. I bet if you went back they won't turn that money down. Enjoy that hair girl!!!:D

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Ok, borrow somebody's camera phone and put some pics up!!!!! You can't tell me you got bouncealicious hair and not let me see! :grin:

Also bump this thread after you wash your hair, I want to know if there are any reverting issues.

kreeme

lsw29 said:
One Praying, maybe you should try Norma's which is a dominican salon. Pam Pam is natural and that is where she goes. She says that they don't complain about natural hair. Also, try Too Groovy, they specialize in natural hair and your hair will be swinging just like the dominicans did it.

Where are they located? :confused:

Healthb4Length

Can't wait for pics! This is reason why I don't frequent too many Dominican salons, I get tired of the looks or constant badgering about whether I want to relax my hair or not. I am glad that you had a good experience, but I just can't stand the man handling and all that heat on my head.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
ITA with JCoily. Where are the pics woman? :lol: Glad you had a good experience too bad she is scared of kinky hair.

NATBTY

onepraying said:
Hey ladies. Let me tell you about my experience at the famous Lily's in Norcross.

The first time I visited a DS(Mary Jane's On Auburn in downtown Atlanta) was a very horrible experience. The girl, Angela, burned my head so bad, it was awful. That was a year and a half ago.

Some of my friends have visited Lily's over the last several weeks coming out looking fierce. They said they experienced ZERO burns. After much contemplation, I bit and decided to give it, yet, another shot. I invited Chosen to go with me since she had never been to a salon before!:look:

We get there, after putting our name on the list the night before, and are seen right away. The girl we wanted, Vanessa, was not in, so I chose Elsie.

Now, Chosen, is seen first because she had a date for the afternoon and needed by out by 1p.

They call me and I sit at the sink and Elsie says, "Oh you're natural" I said, "Yes, well sorta, I havent' had a relaxer in a year so I still have relaxed ends" She said, "Well, is your hair the real kinky, kind?" I said, "Well, if you mean does it shrink up is real thick, thick, no. You can roll it." She just looks and says,"Okay, we wash and we see." I told her my daughter's hair does that. It has MAJOR shrinkage and is real kinky and dense. She said she couldn't do that texture of hair. I had to cancel her appointment and she was disappointed. Meanwhile, while she is washing my hair, she starts speaking in Spanish to some other ladies and I KNOW she's talking about me, but I could care less. She sits me down and starts parting and rolling. She was using that tiny rattail comb and I was praying that I didn't lose any hair :( It didn't appear like she was having a hard time rolling it. It parted easily and she didn't have to plow through my hair. So I say, "How is it Elsie, is it hard?" She's like, "It hard but I'll see what I can do." She had my hair rolled in about 15 min. I sit under the dryer a good hour and then she said do another 10 mins.

Afterwards, I sit and watch her turn Chosen's hair into fabulous swingalicious hair! :yep: I'm looking at the products and her technique and KNOW I can replicate this. I'm next. She unrolls my hair and my hair looks like it's been blow dried and curled. She combs it and starts sectioning for the blowout. She didn't appear to be struggling at all however, I asked her would she do my hair for me again and she says, "You won't get a texturizer?" I said, "Naw" and she makes a face. My hair was so swingy and bouncy I just love it! It's so gorgeous and I dont' think she'll do it again.

What's the deal? I thought the Dominican's did natural all textures. Oh well, I bet I'll be sneaking up there again for her to do it. I hate for that to be the last time though. Folk say it looks like I relaxed my hair...:grin:

I'm totally natural and go to Norma's when I want to wear my hair down. She use to work for Lily's and had so many clients that she started her own shop down the street from Lily's. I always go on Sunday mornings or Monday when they're slow so that they can take the time needed to do my hair.

Natbty.

MissJ

I mean, do you see Elsie's hair? :lol: I'll bet she doesn't like doing 4a/b naturals. The first time I had Vanessa. The next time I went to Luchy. Vanessa kept telling me that I needed a relaxer. Luchy couldn't say it, so she told Elsie to tell me to get a relaxer next time. They don't like doing my transitioning hair, so I didn't go back. I go to Too Groovy now. 75% of their clientele is natural. On a side not, does anybody know why they always wear those skin tight pants? :look:

kristina

Can't wait to see pictures of your hair onepraying. I actually got a dominican right before the Spring DC meeting (check out syler2 and Armqt's meeting albums for pics. sadly, I'm all out of space on my fotki until next month). It looked great but they totally gave me crap about being natural so I can relate. Seriously, they first acted like it was impossible to set my hair because it was (is) too nappy. One of the ladies actually said I was lucky that my hair would set on rollers. Then after all my protesting, one of the girls did it but she was way harsh with the rattail comb (much hair was needlessly sacrificed) and everytime she put one roller in, she'd point to the blow dryer as if to say- 'let's do that instead'. Oh and when I was getting my hair blown out, they kept talking about how they should charge more money for my hair instead (in spanish of course). So yeah, even though my hair looked great, I'd never do that again- too much aggravation. Thing is the only reason I went to Jaselvis in MD was because I heard they do naturals.

ChosenbyGod

I took pics of onepraying's hair ladies so maybe she'll put them up for ya'll to see.. :)

I had a great experience for it being my first time at a salon. My hair was so bouncy!

I couldn't believe how bouncy op's hair was!

I updated my fotki if anyone cares to see! :grin:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
MissJ said:
I mean, do you see Elsie's hair? :lol: I'll bet she doesn't like doing 4a/b naturals. The first time I had Vanessa. The next time I went to Luchy. Vanessa kept telling me that I needed a relaxer. Luchy couldn't say it, so she told Elsie to tell me to get a relaxer next time. They don't like doing my transitioning hair, so I didn't go back. I go to Too Groovy now. 75% of their clientele is natural. On a side not, does anybody know why they always wear those skin tight pants? :look:

Yeah...I saw her hair....how is it at Too Groovy, no hounding about relaxing/Texturizing? I want to be comfortable where I'm spending my money, so I'm DEF not going back to Lily's. Can you give me the info on this Too Groovy place MissJ?

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
JCoily said:
Ok, borrow somebody's camera phone and put some pics up!!!!! You can't tell me you got bouncealicious hair and not let me see! :grin:

Also bump this thread after you wash your hair, I want to know if there are any reverting issues.
No issues at all. :up: I was little noid. My hair is so resistant though, I probably couldn't burn this stuff straight if i wanted to...:lol:

syze6

I have girlfriends who frequent Dominican salons. I pass on themsimply because of all the heat applied to the hair. My friend always brags on how straight you hair gets, even if you need a relaxer. With all the blow drying and heat they use it should be straight and bouncy. I'm glad you had a good experience. I just think my hair wouldn't survive the salon.