My Afro's RARE (and maybe last) Appearance (Pics)

I decided to wear my fro out this weekend. This is VERY RARE due to the length of my hair. I had my hair in a bun Friday night and removed it Saturday morning for a fro out look. I did not pick it out or anything...just fluffed it out with my fingers. It was cute but even a stretched out fro can lead to some major tangles...such a BIG NO NO! Here are some pictures:

Hope you enjoyed the fro out because it will NOT be out like this anytime soon. :) Every time I tried to run my fingers through the looser areas of my hair, I ran into major tangles. :nono:

Of course when I had shorter hair, I LOVED my afro. It was SO easy to manage so I don't want anyone to think I am knocking the afro completely. However, from this experience, it is not worth all these friggin tangles and knots.

Check out Kimmaytube's video titled, "Afro, Why I Won't Wear My Hair In One". I agree with her 100% on this particular topic.

How do you feel about wearing your afro?

Does the afro create more issues when it comes to detangling?

Do you feel the afro style is worth the work of detangling it?

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with wearing your afros. :)

Nonie

Well, I prefer an afro puff pulled back to just an afro just because if I wore it out and big, it's almost a given it would not keep it's shape and I need my afro to look like Bernie Mac's so if I wore one, it'd be patted down so much that it'd stay the same shape and I'd feel like a million bucks.

I can talk about afro puffs since that's what I do and not really. I honestly only remember myself having to detangle my hair in 2008 when I went to sleep with it loose. Afro puffs don't seem to cause me any problems or lead to tangles.

Again, I have only won an afro patted down and no I didn't have any issues detangling. When I do wear my hair out, it's always in some form of afro puff...so I am very at home with the style or its derivatives. I seldom wear my hair out unless it's picked out into some fluffy afro do.

silenttullip

In my 7 years of being natural I rarely wore a fro
I like it when I have a headband BUT I can't rock it
frequently because of tangles. In my 2 years of HHJ
I haven't worn and afro ONE TIME and I don't plan to.
It's just too much bad for a look of good

foxee

Your hair is so pretty! I never wear my hair in an afro because I can never get that cute afro shape without picking my hair to death. When I'm not PS'ing it's usually in a bun.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa

I love my afros. By afros I mean twist outs, braid outs, picked out fros, and any other fro with the exception of the shrunken fro. I do not do shrunken fros (or wash n go fros) because they tangle really bad for me. There is nothing beneficial of wearing one.

No because I don't experience tangles like that with stretched out fros.
The only time it would be a challenge is if I wore my hair shrunken. I make sure to keep my hair stretched out by braiding or twisting it up at night, or putting bands on the ends or something like that to keep it stretched out.

Not an issue.

prettyinpurple

I like it!

Did you expect to be able to run your fingers freely through your hair? That just doesn't seem possible with tightly curled hair unless it's been stretched out and detangled beforehand. Doesn't pulling it back into a pony tail just compress the curls more too?

Sounds like the normal action of curly hair to me, not anything that should cause extreme tangling.

EllePixie

I love my Izzy.

Not anymore for me...since I've discovered washing my hair in sections and applying product thoroughly to keep my hair from shrinking as much and matting, I've had no issues (thank goodness because I'm a total wash n go gal).

Don't have any issues...since I began washing in sections I have been using my wide tooth comb in the shower and it's been super easy. I pray it stays that way...I'm only APL(ish) though. If I couldn't do wash n gos I don't know what I would do with my hair though. Previously, even with matting, detangling took me 45 minutes once a week so that still wasn't that bad.

Last edited:

MissLadie

beautifullyblessed,
Hey Lady!!! I haven't seen you in years and here I run into you on the hair boards, lol! Your hair is gorgeous btw.

After wearing my hair mostly in flatiron buns for the past few months, this weekend I decided to wear my fro. By the time we left church yesterday it was tangle city. My cousin tried to run his fingers through it... a struggle, lol.

classychic1908

Pretty hair!

I don't have particular tangling issues from wearing my hair in a fro, and I would never expect to actually be able to run my fingers freeley through my hair...They might get lost up in there! lol

leiah

Beautiful!

I (finger)combed my hair out into a fro today. The shape was not cute just because my nape hairs are so much longer than the rest so its like a 2 tiered fro
And I kept trying to run my fingers through it and lost so much hair. Couldn't keep my hands out of it so I just put it up in a clip

I've actually been thinking about getting a kinky textured weave so I can wear my hair like that but I guess I'll wait until my length evens out

MzSwift

Yum, yum to your fro!

I love to break my fluffy fro out for special occasions (usually Christmas, my nappiversary or an annual natural ladies meetup). I tend to rock braid out fros, if I do a fro any other time.

If I rock a fluffy fro, I band it at night in 3-4 ponytails. Sometimes I'll braid the ponytails. To me, it's less manipulation than a twist out or braidout that needs to be redone at night (on my hair).

Ronnieaj

I love a good fluffy from :yep:. I don't do it often just because my hair is bunned or twisted most of the time, but on occasion I'll rock the heck out of it. As long as my hair is moisturized and braided down at the end of the night, I haven't had a problem with breakage thus far. And my fro is a no-touch zone. I can't even imagine trying to run my fingers through it :nono:.

BlackMasterPiece

beautifullyblessed said:
I love it. It's great for when I'm in the mood to be a little more bold and unforgettable. I've been rocking my blow-out fro going on a week & a half now.

I was tryna upload a pic of what My fro is looking like this very moment but this app won't let me right now:sad:

ETA: beautifullyblessed I got it to work! :grin: this was me last night

Nope, I just wet, add slippy condish and detangle as usual.

The detangling job isn't so difficult when you always wear stretched fro's. So yea, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

WAVES4DAYS

Very Pretty! :spinning:

I love wearing fro's

No, because I make sure my hair is well saturated with conditioner
and evoo before I began my detangling process. I also use a wide tooth
comb. Makes the detangling process a lot easier.

Yes, because of above measures taken.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with wearing your afros.
I actually get a lot of compliments when I rock my fro.

Thank you ladies for all your responses!

Nonie Wow, that is amazing that you can pat down your fro and not experience an increase in tangles. I have seen your Bernie Mac puffs in another thread...LOVE IT! :)

So pretty much, as your hair grew longer, the tangles did not increase from wearing the afro?

silenttullip Yeah, I agree with you!

foxee Yeah, if I would have picked out my fro, it would have NO shape. It would just flop mainly because of my hair texture and hair length (MBL). But I just could NOT imagine picking through my MBL hair with a comb just for a fro :nono: OUCH

ms-gg Oh, the shrunken fro is my hair devil. I have LOTS of shrinkage so that would be nothing but a tangle party for my hair. So by twist outs and braid outs, do you mean like big/chunky twists/braids? My usual twist outs just flop down but I only do small to medium twists.

pookaloo83 I cringe at the wash-n-gos...I miss them though when I had 6-7 inches of hair. They were SO convenient!

prettyinpurple I definitely did not expect to run my fingers freely through the tighter areas (back of head) with my stretched out fro but I thought I would have a little more freedom with the looser parts (front) as I fluffed out the style. When my hair was shorter (6-7 inches), I had such freedom even through the tighter areas. A foot of hair longer, a whole different story...lol :)

EllePixie LOL@ Izzy. That is cute you named your fro. I haven't done a wash and go in forever. Glad that style is still working for you at APL. I like washing in sections too. It takes me about an hour.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
ms-gg Oh, the shrunken fro is my hair devil. I have LOTS of shrinkage so that would be nothing but a tangle party for my hair. So by twist outs and braid outs, do you mean like big/chunky twists/braids? My usual twist outs just flop down but I only do small to medium twists.

The shrunken fro really is the debbil. I do all sizes for my braid and twist outs, it really doesn't matter IMO as long as the hair is stretched out.

beautifullyblessed,
Hey Lady!!! I haven't seen you in years and here I run into you on the hair boards, lol! Your hair is gorgeous btw.

After wearing my hair mostly in flatiron buns for the past few months, this weekend I decided to wear my fro. By the time we left church yesterday it was tangle city. My cousin tried to run his fingers through it... a struggle, lol.

Aw, that is so cool you remember me! Did you find me on fotki years back?

LOL@ Tangle city. How did you manage to detangle it?

Pretty hair!

I don't have particular tangling issues from wearing my hair in a fro, and I would never expect to actually be able to run my fingers freeley through my hair...They might get lost up in there! lol

Yeah, the fingers would definitely get lost. :yep:

Beautiful!

I (finger)combed my hair out into a fro today. The shape was not cute just because my nape hairs are so much longer than the rest so its like a 2 tiered fro
And I kept trying to run my fingers through it and lost so much hair. Couldn't keep my hands out of it so I just put it up in a clip

I've actually been thinking about getting a kinky textured weave so I can wear my hair like that but I guess I'll wait until my length evens out

How do you plan on evening out your hair? Cutting the back gradually? I had to do that to help my front to catch up with my back.

Yum, yum to your fro!

I love to break my fluffy fro out for special occasions (usually Christmas, my nappiversary or an annual natural ladies meetup). I tend to rock braid out fros, if I do a fro any other time.

If I rock a fluffy fro, I band it at night in 3-4 ponytails. Sometimes I'll braid the ponytails. To me, it's less manipulation than a twist out or braidout that needs to be redone at night (on my hair).

Aw, thanks for the "Yum Yum" comment. Too cute! :)

That makes sense to re-braid/re-twist at night to help with the tangles. That is where I messed up. I just pulled it back into a puff and tied my hair down at night. I can see how your method will help keep the tangles at bay.

I love a good fluffy from :yep:. I don't do it often just because my hair is bunned or twisted most of the time, but on occasion I'll rock the heck out of it. As long as my hair is moisturized and braided down at the end of the night, I haven't had a problem with breakage thus far. And my fro is a no-touch zone. I can't even imagine trying to run my fingers through it :nono:.

I now see that I should have braided or twisted my hair at night. Thanks for sharing!

I love it. It's great for when I'm in the mood to be a little more bold and unforgettable. I've been rocking my blow-out fro going on a week & a half now.

I was tryna upload a pic of what My fro is looking like this very moment but this app won't let me right now:sad:

Nope, I just wet, add slippy condish and detangle as usual.

The detangling job isn't so difficult when you always wear stretched fro's. So yea, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

Your hair is awesome! I guess since I haven't worn an afro in a long time, I forgot how to maintain an afro. Thanks for sharing especially since you have long hair. I decided to pre-poo first and then shampoo and condition in sections as usual.

Very Pretty! :spinning:

I love wearing fro's

No, because I make sure my hair is well saturated with conditioner
and evoo before I began my detangling process. I also use a wide tooth
comb. Makes the detangling process a lot easier.

Yes, because of above measures taken.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with wearing your afros.
I actually get a lot of compliments when I rock my fro.

Yeah, I actually have my hair saturated with conditioner right now. My hair feels so soft and has already melted quite a bit of the tangles away.

The shrunken fro really is the debbil. I do all sizes for my braid and twist outs, it really doesn't matter IMO as long as the hair is stretched out.

Gotcha. Thanks so much for your input! I am guessing bigger twists/braids help create chunkier stretched out fros with less manipulation.

pookaloo83

I don't understand why some of you would want to run your fingers through your fro anyway! :lol: Not saying it's impossible, but it's not gonna slide through! Our hair is coily.

I don't understand why some of you would want to run your fingers through your fro anyway! :lol: Not saying it's impossible, but it's not gonna slide through! Our hair is coily.

I was not talking about running my fingers the same way I would through straight hair. Definitely not the same. AT ALL (LOL) I was not even talking about running my fingers through the tighter areas of my afro. My fingers would just get trapped for days back there. :yep:

However in most of my stretched styles, I can run my fingers in the front portion of my hair where my texture is more wavy than coily. I was trying to manipulate the front section of my afro as I do with most of my loose styles but I was not able to do that.

So I guess the reason why I would like to "run my fingers" through my afro is to manipulate it some since it is the floppiest area of my fro.

Missjae09

I have found that when i wear a puff or a wng my hair is tangled terribly at the end of the day.. for me it's not worth the trouble. I know that a lot of ladies are in love with their puffs and wng's and swear by them but they just don't work for some of us, or maybe I'm doing something wrong :sad:

Nonie

Thank you ladies for all your responses!

@Nonie Wow, that is amazing that you can pat down your fro and not experience an increase in tangles. I have seen your Bernie Mac puffs in another thread...LOVE IT! :)

Thanks. I think the secret is to make sure that your hair is fully detangled. I braid my hair every night and it's fully detangled and so when I undo, and comb out, all strands are separated. After I've worn the patted down fro, I simply pull out a few strands, spray them well with S Curl and then stretch them with one hand as I comb with the other. Because the hair was detangled before the pat down, there's no tangling going on, but I can comb through easily. I then plait it for the night. Making sure it's well combed and braided nightly means tangles never come into the picture.