My Associate says that black women with hair that is mid back or waist length have...

C

chica_canella

white blood in them! I was so shocked and she is like, "How many black women do you see walking around with hair this long (she points to midback length) or to their waist?" I'm like, "Not many." But come to think of it you don't see many women of any race with hair that long.:ohwell:

Maybe Indians.

So, I said, "If you saw me with hair that long, would you think, 'oh she has some white in her." She said, "YEah. Somewhere down the line." :lachen:

I couldn't help it but I laughed in her face with and first looked at her with awe and astonishment. I wish I could take my braids out and show her how long my hair is.:D And yes, I am black.

Just thought that it was sad that people still think like this today, and to think she is educated.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I am starting to think we should gets some pics of African women with long hair and carry them with us. You can pull it out and BAM to her face. :grin:

sprungonhairboards

Actually, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a black person outside of Africa WITHOUT some kind of white blood in them. That's just a fact. Not sure how it relates to hair length though.

skoloco

So I guess if a white person has curly hair they have some black blood in them? :lol:

Actually what's funny is, most of us (blacks and whites) are "mixed" somewhere down the line--black, white, Hispanic, native American, etc. The length of your hair has more to do with how you care for it than what your ethnicity is. Sometimes you just have to laugh inside when dealing with ignorance because no amount of "education" will make them get it. :cool:

Amina

Re: My Associate says that black women with hair that is mid back or waist length hav

sprungonhairboards said:
Actually, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a black person outside of Africa WITHOUT some kind of white blood in them. That's just a fact. Not sure how it relates to hair length though.

I am thinking maybe it relates to the "white=long hair and black=short hair" frame of mind...Many people just don't believe Black people can grow their hair long...

Keen

Re: My Associate says that black women with hair that is mid back or waist length hav

sprungonhairboards said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not aware of anyone in my family that is caucation ancestry but looking at my great aunts, I'd find it hard to refute

Ebonygurl00

sprungonhairboards said:

Yeah, my great-grandpa was white, but I always forget, lol. Last year, I had to do a family tree for school, and all of the black people in my class had at least one white person in their family history.

Kimberly

sprungonhairboards said:

That's what I was thinking, too...:perplexed

But, at the same time, that should not be the "test"...like you MUST have some white heritage because you were able to grow your hair to there...then what assumptions would we make about 2b or 3a people who wore their hair short or who couldn't grow their hair long?

Why not say, you must have white ancestry because you have thin lips, or this certain type of hair texture, or a nasty disposition? Really, none of it can be considered absolute.

Last edited:
C

chica_canella

You know I think Amina that you are right on the money since, "white is long and black is short" to many people.

It seems as if white people or maybe just people try to attribute every idealistic aesthetic to them if it is seen in a black person.

Example: Vanessa Williams has blue eyes- "Oh she half white" despite her parents identifying as black.

Beyonce is considered beautiful- "Oh that is cause her mother is Creole."

W.E.B. DuBois was terribly smart- "It;s his white blood."

Yet you never hear these comments when:

A white person has 3c hair- "?"

Angelina Jolie has full lips - "?"

Jennifer Lopez has a big butt- "?"

Some whites tan very darkly - "?"

It's like their mind goes blank. We all know that the Anglo-Saxon blood from 1000's of years ago would not produce a curly head 3c white person or that the average white person doesn't tan darkly or that a full-blooded white person (don't even think that is possible now-a-days) would not have plump lips or a big butt. :look:

sweetascocoa

chica_canella said:
You know I think Amina that you are right on the money since, "white is long and black is short" to many people.

It seems as if white people or maybe just people try to attribute every idealistic aesthetic to them if it is seen in a black person.

Example: Vanessa Williams has blue eyes- "Oh she half white" despite her parents identifying as black.

It's like their mind goes blank. We all know that the Anglo-Saxon blood from 1000's of years ago would not produce a curly head 3c white person or that the average white person doesn't tan darkly or that a full-blooded white person (don't even think that is possible now-a-days) would not have plump lips or a big butt. :look:
THANK YOU!!!!

C

chica_canella

Kimberly said:
That's what I was thinking, too...:perplexed

But, at the same time, that should not be the "test"...like you MUST have some white heritage because you were able to grow your hair to there...then what assumptions would we make about 2b or 3a people who wore their hair short or who couldn't grow their hair long?

Why not say, you must have white ancestry because you have then lips, or this certain type of hair texture, or a nasty disposition? Really, none of it can be considered absolute.

That's what I'm saying; where does it stop? Yeah, the average black person, according to a PBS special is 1/5 European and 5% black yet this is what we choose to identify as. I swear, even if you would have told my associate you were black, black, blackity black she would still think you had "white blood" somewhere down the line. I think that kind of diminshes and devalues the fact that you actually took care of your hair.:cool:

sprungonhairboards

chica_canella said:

So true! It's like, if you have all those half WHITE mulatto babies... what's the other half? Seems common sense but... :lol:

C

chica_canella

sprungonhairboards said:
So true! It's like, if you have all those half WHITE mulatto babies... what's the other half? Seems common sense but... :lol:

People don't want to hear it though! I actually read a stat somewhere that said since 1947, individuals who identified as black years before crossed over into the white race at a 2% rate. Now of course they married white but a whole group of people just don' dissapear.

Example: An area in Cleaveland, Ohio once had a black population of 22, 340 in 1947 and a white population of 100,000. Factoring in immigration and new residents, a year later the black population (or those identifying as black) has decreased by 447 (2%) and the white population is now 100, 447. Seems a little suspicious to me?!:eek: :lol:

asubeauty

That's just ignorant...

It is true that you don't see many AA women with mid back or waist length hair, but I think it's because a lot of us don't know how to care for our hair properly, and we believe the myth that our hair just won't grow long.

isioma85

sprungonhairboards said:

I agree. It may or may not affect hair length, but definitely hair texture.

Last edited:

Kimberly

asubeauty said:
That's just ignorant...

It is true that you don't see many AA women with mid back or waist length hair, but I think it's because a lot of us don't know how to care for our hair properly, and we believe the myth that our hair just won't grow long.

Maybe that should be the test? You must have white ancestry if you believe your hair will grow long?

C

chica_canella

Kimberly said:
Maybe that should be the test? You must have white ancestry if you believe your hair will grow long?

I'm sorry, I'm a little slow maybe.:p

Could you explain what you mean by this.:)

Kimberly

chica_canella said:
I'm sorry, I'm a little slow maybe.:p

Could you explain what you mean by this.:)

I was kind of kidding but I had quoted the person who said that a lot of AA women didn't grow their hair long because they didn't know how to take care of their hair properly and bought into the myth that it won't grow...so I was saying, if you don't believe the myth, maybe that means you aren't 100% AA.

Did I explain that well?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL

asubeauty said:
That's just ignorant...

I agree. When more ladies reach their goals of mid-back or waist length using proper techniques, that myth will die. It begins with knowledge.

RainbowCurls

*sigh*

If your hair wont grow for years, it's because you're black.
Then if it does start to grow (ie you take care of it) it's suddenly due any non-black ancestry you might have.

C

chica_canella

Kimberly said:
I was kind of kidding but I had quoted the person who said that a lot of AA women didn't grow their hair long because they didn't know how to take care of their hair properly and bought into the myth that it won't grow...so I was saying, if you don't believe the myth, maybe that means you aren't 100% AA.

Did I explain that well?

Oh, ok. Thanks alot. :)

sprungonhairboards

PerfectDoak said:
*sigh*

If your hair wont grow for years, it's because you're black.
Then if it does start to grow (ie you take care of it) it's suddenly due any non-black ancestry you might have.

Exactly! Now you got it! But it's a little more complicated. See sometimes it takes a while for our true whiteness to shine through in all it's glory because it's been oppressed by all those destructive "black" tendancies and hair care rituals. If we would have just embraced our whiteness from the beginning, we would have always had long luxurious hair.:grin:

C

chica_canella

sprungonhairboards said:
Exactly! Now you got it! But it's a little more complicated. See sometimes it takes a while for our true whiteness to shine through in all it's glory because it's been oppressed by all those destructive "black" tendancies and hair care rituals. If we would have just embraced our whiteness from the beginning, we would have always had long luxurious hair.:grin:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I should tell my associate this, knowing her she would prob. agree.:eek:

Qetesh

I think this frame of mind needs more LHCF girls around to completely REPUKE the theory

I personally get the same thing because my hair is midback I have to be mixed with something and I am NOT, and then when I noted I am going to grow my hair to waist length I got “well your not white you know your hair might not grow that long” like 4 more inches is impossible. Because I am black

Just looking at all the women on this board with beautiful waist length hair and or longer shows that your hair texture really has nothing to do with how long your hair is, it’s about how well you take care of your hair and your body inside that does.

RainbowCurls

sprungonhairboards said:

:lol: :lachen:

ETA: I am mixed, so when I finally manage to grow my hair out I'm sure it'll be my indian side coming out that got me the long hair. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
C

chica_canella

Qetesh said:
I think this frame of mind needs more LHCF girls around to completely REPUKE the theory

I personally get the same thing because my hair is midback I have to be mixed with something and I am NOT, and then when I noted I am going to grow my hair to waist length I got “well your not white you know your hair might not grow that long” like 4 more inches is impossible. Because I am black

Just looking at all the women on this board with beautiful waist length hair and or longer shows that your hair texture really has nothing to do with how long your hair is, it’s about how well you take care of your hair and your body inside that does.

I agree and think about it like this. If your hair was shoulder length and you told them you were growing it to your current length, they would say, "your not white." But since you are they can't say it.

That's why I'm not even telling anyone my goals and I am 5 inches to bra-strap. I told this one girl and she said, "Well, I saw this black lady on t.v. who said it took her 25 years to grow her hair waist length.":perplexed

YEah, right. I'm thinking that she must of heard her wrong but it's just too much trouble to tell people about hair care and the facts about hair in a short period of time. They just want to be stuck in their little "black hair myth" world. I really want to tell my best friend but people don't want to listen so I'll take my hair down in May for them to see it and maybe that will convince them. Hopefully they don't think it has to do something with "white blood.":(

Tee

chica_canella said:

Yes, All that! :)

Candiss

I actually agree with what the friend said to the OP. White women don't go to the great lengths, trials and tribulations to grow hair long like we do. Obviously there is something to the texture of their hair that makes it retain length more easily compared to our own. The fact that our hair is more kinky, nappy, textured (whatever) and drier means that it's harder to keep our ends on point and there is a constant battle for our hair type to retain length. Naturally straighter hair just does not have the same struggles. That is why there are so many little white girls with long hair down their back and white teens who have long hair cause they don't have to work for it, that's just the way it is. So if someone who is "mixed" simply doesn't not have the same type of hair that someone who isn't. And yes, I know there are exceptions and lots of black folks with long hair but I'm taliking about the rule, not the exceptions. That why I think it's so funny when we have these "I was so shocked when she/he said black people don't have long hair" cause for the most part, we don't.

RainbowCurls

Candiss said:
I actually agree with what the friend said to the OP. White women don't go to the great lengths, trials and tribulations to grow hair long like we do. Obviously there is something to the texture of their hair that makes it retain length more easily compared to our own. The fact that our hair is more kinky, nappy, textured (whatever) and drier means that it's harder to keep our ends on point and there is a constant battle for our hair type to retain length. Naturally straighter hair just does not have the same struggles. That is why there are so many little white girls with long hair down their back and white teens who have long hair cause they don't have to work for it, that's just the way it is. So if someone who is "mixed" simply doesn't not have the same type of hair that someone who isn't. And yes, I know there are exceptions and lots of black folks with long hair but I'm taliking about the rule, not the exceptions. That why I think it's so funny when we have these "I was so shocked when she/he said black people don't have long hair" cause for the most part, we don't.

Oh, I agree that most white people have hair that more indestructible than most black peope.

What annoys me is that if a black person grows long hair, it's because of any non-black ancestry they may or may not have, rather than the effort they've probably put in to look after their hair well for years.