My dying scalp....

VirtuousGal

Hello ladies,

I've been a member of the haircare board for quite some time and my hair was thriving for the longest. However for the last two or so years, my hair wasn't as thick, and more recently the front/edges have been thinning out, parts widening and I am so lost as to why.

I went to a dermatologist, and I asked him if its possible that I have alopecia, hoping he'd do a test or thorough examination, he said no, saying I have a lot of hair...but as you ladies know, we know our hair and scalps enough to know when something is very off, when the hair isn't feeling as thick...I'm only 25 so I am worried.

I told him that my hair on my eyebrows had gotten sparse too, and he said ok, it's probably thyroid disease. He tested me, that isn't it. He recently had me do hormone testing, I will be seeing him again in the beginning of November to get those results. But I am very discouraged, because he's not doing as much as I imagined he would.

I have been trying to treat it myself, but over time, the front continues to thin out, and I see more of my scalp. I used to be an avid relaxer, (well not really, 4 times a year, I've gone down to 2 times a year and thinking about skipping the second one this year.)

The reason I am calling my scalp (dying) is b/c I'm sure my follicles are asleep/dead...I put a cayenne pepper mix on my scalp and of course, most of my scalp is on fire, but the areas in the front that are thinning, I cant really feel as much or dont notice it at all.

I am open for suggestions,I have tried garlic, onion, castor oil, etc. haven't been consistent but I am going to stay focused from now on.

I may try MN or anything else really. I am checking out "I am a survivor" alopecia thread altho the doc said he doesn't think that's it, but I will take any sincere suggestions. If anyone's been here before, they understand how it feels when desperation sinks in, because you want your hair back.

Please help :(

Lila25

OP don't be discouraged. Could it be possible your hair is shedding? Have you changed relaxers or your regimen somewhere along the way? The pepper thing sounds kinda harsh, I think I would avoid anything that causes excessive irritation to the scalp. Definitely wait for the other Dr. results for the hormone testing before using anything else on your scalp.

:bighug:

silenttullip

I'd say visit a trichologist. I kinda see the same in my hair but mine is a scalp condition. The fact that your scalp isn't numb is a good sign. Try frequent massaging to get the blood flow going. Don't stress because that can make it worse. Use a gentle poo and low mani reggie. Think back to when began, what changed in your life? Stay up on the castor oil if it works for you. Get a good multi and have your vit d and have your other vitamin levels checked
also look into msm, I like it.

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

I would ask him to do a scalp biopsy. A spot in my the middle of my head has been thinning for 3 years now. It started off very small. My scalp was very inflamed and sore. I thought it was from stress from my job. Now it is the size of a fist. I was trying to self medicate. I used MN, Mega-tek, essential oil blends, Ayurvedic products and nothing was working. I thought it might have been a scalp infection like ringworm or something because while stationed in Korea my dorm had a very bad mold problem. Korea is where i started losing my hair even though i was using a shower filter for the hard water. The water also came out of the faucet brown.

I finally went to see a derm this July and she immediately did a scalp biopsy. She thought it might be scarring alopecia. The results came back that it was a bacterial infection under my scalp & lots of inflammation but NOT scarring alopecia thank goodness. She put me on antibiotics for a month, a liquid antibiotic for my scalp, and a steroid for my scalp. At first my scalp seemed to be getting better even though no hair was growing back. But now that i have finished the meds the inflammation is coming back. I see her again in December. I don't know what's going on. I just pray that my hair comes back. So i know exactly what you're going through. I said no matter what the doctor said i am gonna have faith that my scalp is healed and my hair will return.

VirtuousGal

Thanks from ur replies ladies, I would have responded sooner but I've been at work (work the night shift) and I've been slammed!

Visiting a trichologist sounds like a good idea. And I want a biopsy, but the doc said its harsh, he'd have to put a whole in my scalp supposedly, but I mean I do want to know what's wrong. Thank you for ur encouragement.

And by the way, I was saying that I couldn't really feel the heat in the affected areas of the scalp, that's what made me more concerned :/

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

VirtuousGal

Hey there, I don't think its shedding cuz its been too consistent over a couple yrs now :(

VinDieselsWifey

with my biopsy she numbed my scalp and then cut a piece off. she said it would be worth the dent left behind to see what's wrong. my scalp bled a little and was sore for a few days but it was worth it for me. when my hair is parted a certain way you can see a dent in my scalp but oh well.

laurend

I wouldn't relax anymore until you find out what's going on. I use the laser comb so when you go to the trichologist, ask him or her about it.

JeterCrazed

Try a whole body detox in the mean time. Flor Flora Essence is what I cleanse with.

I hate doctors. It's your scalp. Why wouldn't he listen to you? Ugh...

ETA: maybe wasabi instead of cayenne?

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

kab

Been there. MN and JBCO for a few months. Later add Megatek. The MN and JBCO are antifungal and antibacterial. Months later, hairline filled in, thick healthy hair growing.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

My first thought: Change doctors.

He's not listening to you and seems like he's dismissing your concerns. I don't know much about this kind of thing, but it sounds like there is way more he could be doing to help you.

Please find someone else who will try their hardest to help find the cause of this, not just someone who wants to line their pockets. :nono:

Also, I would suggest massaging gentle mixtures into the affected areas. I'm thinking a castor/hemp oil/aloe juice mix would be very gentle and healing while also promoting growth. Try to stay consistent and stick to a low-mani regimen.

I'd even go as far as suggesting you eat clean-- at least until you figure out what the problem is.

Please keep us updated! *sending positive vibes your way*

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
Are you using any medicated shampoo prescribe by doctor? It could be the problem, go see someone else.

beloved1bx

VirtuousGal I think I'm in a similar situation as you. I have thinning edges/temples, the right side is worse than the left. My hair also sheds constantly, too much for my liking. I finally made an appt with a derm in Aug who was useless. He just glanced at my hair while leaning against the counter and said that it probably was weakened from when i got my hair braided/cornrowed when i was younger. he didn't touch my head, look at it closely, offer to run tests or anything. He gave me a prescription for some lotion to try putting on my scalp but it ended up being such a problem to try and fill it at the pharmacy that i didn't bother esp since i wasn't impressed with him anyway.

The thing about hair loss is that there could be sooo many culprits. Fungal or bacterial infections, hormone imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, medications. There's almost too much information out there on the subject. I know i'm anemic and there probably have poor circulation which doesn't help. So i've started on these Hair, Skin, Nails vitamins that are supposed to be taken 3x a day, and i've set my mind up to stick with that. Even having an iodine deficiency can cause hair loss apparently. I didn't even know iodine was important....eh.

Like you, i'm also trying to be diligent about using things like JBCO, MN. This year i started but then fell off and now i'm trying to make sure i use my mixes daily. As pf the beginning of this month, I've also cut out sulfate shampoos for now. I have a sensitive scalp, possible dermatitis, and want to see if cutting back on sulfates will help.

VirtuousGal

I really appreciate the positive vibes tiffers! And I am seriously considering a doctor change if this next visit feels like bullsh**.

BrownSkin2, I usually were my normal hair, do a lot of lose ponytails and try to keep it neat without making the hair to taut, as I don't want added stress to the thin areas.
Ltown, I am not using any medicated shampoos.
beloved1bx I am sorry you are going through it too! :( Isn't working up the nerve to go to the doctor a letdown when they aren't worth the loans they took out to attend medical school smh

VirtuousGal

JeterCrazed, not that much better the thinning is slightly worse, I took a pic with my phone, I will try to upload it, thanks for the follow up, sorry I hadn't noticed it earlier!

05girl

Consult with another doc.

Maybe ask for a biopsy? That is the only way they can get a look at the follicles I think (that's how I got diagnosed with scarring alopecia).

Honi

There is no board.
This may be a shot in the dark but have you been tested for autoimmine diseases like lupus?

VirtuousGal

This may be a shot in the dark but have you been tested for autoimmine diseases like lupus?

Oh my goodness no! I don't have the other symptoms associated with Lupus but I really want a test for an auto immune disease now! Thank you for the suggestion Honi!