My ephiphany: I think I'm finally OVER the salon

hillytmj

At least for basic stuff like rollersets, wash and DC's.

I'm starting a new job Monday, so I thought, "I'll treat myself to a salon visit for a roller wrap." Well, first of all, my stylist started 30 minutes late. Then the dryers they have didn't dry my hair in a timely manner (mine at home only takes 1.5 hours). I was at the shop from 11 a.m. to 330, her DC didn't give me the slip I need (I have super-duper tangly hair so I endured a long detangling session), and on top of all of this, I was charged an extra $10 for "long length" for a total of $54.

I never felt I was my own hair expert till now. I will still go to the salon for relaxers (I still don't feel comfortable with self relaxing) or maybe the occassional flat iron (because I don't own one), but I'm really starting to believe that there is a reason why most ladies with super-long hair don't go to salons.

My mom and sister are avid salon goers and insist that I should too because "a professional can do a better job than I can," but they both have "short hair mentality" (there was an awesome post on this board about "long hair mentality vs. short hair mentality.") I mostly wear my hair in roller sets, and I've recently learned how to do twist outs, and I've gotten lots of compliments on both.

I'm so happy that I'm taking charge of my hair and getting the results I want. :yep: Can anyone else relate?

Amcd

I'm feeling you. This is what I have pretty much decided to do, especially since I have learned how to air dry it so that it still feels soft and looks great. I can't do my own relaxer and don't feel like letting my hair be my guinea pig. Plus I have so much product now from reading this board and other sites it would be a crime for me not to do it myself!

BostonMaria

When I do my own hair its so therapeutic to me. I don't mind going to the salon every 6-9 months, but it doesn't feel like I'm pampering myself. Usually I feel like my hair is on fiyah LOL

southerncitygirl

At least for basic stuff like rollersets, wash and DC's.

I'm starting a new job Monday, so I thought, "I'll treat myself to a salon visit for a roller wrap." Well, first of all, my stylist started 30 minutes late. Then the dryers they have didn't dry my hair in a timely manner (mine at home only takes 1.5 hours). I was at the shop from 11 a.m. to 330, her DC didn't give me the slip I need (I have super-duper tangly hair so I endured a long detangling session), and on top of all of this, I was charged an extra $10 for "long length" for a total of $54.

I never felt I was my own hair expert till now. I will still go to the salon for relaxers (I still don't feel comfortable with self relaxing) or maybe the occassional flat iron (because I don't own one), but I'm really starting to believe that there is a reason why most ladies with super-long hair don't go to salons.

My mom and sister are avid salon goers and insist that I should too because "a professional can do a better job than I can," but they both have "short hair mentality" (there was an awesome post on this board about "long hair mentality vs. short hair mentality.") I mostly wear my hair in roller sets, and I've recently learned how to do twist outs, and I've gotten lots of compliments on both.

I'm so happy that I'm taking charge of my hair and getting the results I want. :yep: Can anyone else relate?

This is why I pay extra money and go to a higher end boutique style salon when I go a few times a year for my length checks and dustings. My stylist is professional and I'm in and out in 1-2 hrs. and she has a girl that shampoos and blow dries your hair.Getting your hair done should never be an all day affair:nono:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

It's liberating, isn't it? I don't care what type of salon it is (high-end boutique or low-end ghetto), I don't want to feel enslaved to a stylist's every whim. I feel free and I love it.

BlackMasterPiece

I would say no longer going to the salon regularly and becoming the expert on your own hair is in the top three keys to growing long beautiful hair.

Once I made the decision to walk away from going to the salon regularly that was the beginning of my journey to MBL, where I am today.

I actually have an awesome high end salon that I love but they only see me about once per year. Once you have long hair its an extra charge and forget if you have long NATURAL coily hair, the prices start to get scandalous.

I go to my salon once a year they fawn over my natural hair and tell me where they are on their natural journey and how they can't wait to get to my length, I TELL them how much they're gonna trim me, they show me how much they're taking off and I wave goodbye to them and say see ya next yr loves!:lachen:

hillytmj

I would say no longer going to the salon regularly and becoming the expert on your own hair is in the top three keys to growing long beautiful hair.

Once I made the decision to walk away from going to the salon regularly that was the beginning of my journey to MBL, where I am today.

I actually have an awesome high end salon that I love but they only see me about once per year. Once you have long hair its an extra charge and forget if you have long NATURAL coily hair, the prices start to get scandalous.

I go to my salon once a year they fawn over my natural hair and tell me where they are on their natural journey and how they can't wait to get to my length, I TELL them how much they're gonna trim me, they show me how much they're taking off and I wave goodbye to them and say see ya next yr loves!:lachen:

LOL, I love the way you put this. When I started my hair journey, I really didn't know how it would end up, beyond me reaching my hair goals. But it makes sense that after investing so much time learning your hair, why release the reigns to a stylist all over again?

SW2011

I went to the Dominican salon today for the first time in probably over a year now. I've been taking care of my own hair, but I was going somewhere special tonight and didn't feel like doing my own hair. The good thing was she only charged me $35...even though my hair is MBL. The bad thing was I was there forever and the heat from the blowdryer on my scalp is torturous. So, once per year will continue to work for me. I'm a DIY girl.

hillytmj

I went to the Dominican salon today for the first time in probably over a year now. I've been taking care of my own hair, but I was going somewhere special tonight and didn't feel like doing my own hair. The good thing was she only charged me $35...even though my hair is MBL. The bad thing was I was there forever and the heat from the blowdryer on my scalp is torturous. So, once per year will continue to work for me. I'm a DIY girl.

That's what I'm talking about...salons for special occassions only.

goodmorningruby

It is a great feeling. I am a COMPLETE DIYer. In fact, the last time I was at an actual salon was about ten years ago. While I occasionally get frustrated with my hair, it's cathartic for me to take care of it all by myself. Now if I could just learn how to cornrow/flat twist...:spinning:

Embyra

after my EX hairdresser cut off 7 + inches of hair it took me MONTHS to recover ....MENTALLY yes its that serious for me :look:

I will only now go to my mothers hairdresser for relaxers... she is retired does hair now at her home salon in in and out in 1 hour :grin:....i since found out she used to do the owners of ex hairdressers and told me since when do they do hair?....they were never trained :nono:

Embyra

:lachen::lachen:

dachsies_rule!

after my EX hairdresser cut off 7 + inches of hair it took me MONTHS to recover ....MENTALLY yes its that serious for me :look:

I will only now go to my mothers hairdresser for relaxers... she is retired does hair now at her home salon in in and out in 1 hour :grin:....i since found out she used to do the owners of ex hairdressers and told me since when do they do hair?....they were never trained :nono:

OMG!!!! 7 inches...girl, i woulda ended up on the 6:00 news! :wallbash::wallbash:

hillytmj

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would have reacted the same way...it's that serious for me too. :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

LOL, I love the way you put this. When I started my hair journey, I really didn't know how it would end up, beyond me reaching my hair goals. But it makes sense that after investing so much time learning your hair, why release the reigns to a stylist all over again?
Exactly, they only get to touch my hair right before the holidays every year.

I speaks the truth!:giggle:

Wow....they are oh so scissor happy its ridiculous:nono: So sorry that happened to you sweety!:hug2:

Embyra

when i think about it my hair has always hovered at apl length the hairdresser liked to cut it back all the time :ohwell: telling me she is making it ''healthy'' and wait for it .....''making it grow'':rolleyes:

i dont get relaxers often and this last time i went there my hair was mid back when she cut it i was collarbone/grazing shoulder length...

when i heard her do that first cut at the back i knew it was too late as i heard her cutting into the THICKNESS of my hair i snapped back at her is this a bob???!!! ......she looked stunned im normally quiet as the long strands of hair fell into my lap i had to hold myself back from crying i would normally wear clip ins that were 20'' and my hair would blend in nicely when i tried to use them that last time it looked ridiculous short hair all sticking up all over the place:wallbash::wallbash:

Its taken me a year to grow back what she cut every time she would do her ''trim'' and i would go back months later she would be ''oh wow your hair has grown''

little did i know she was filled with haterade and wanted to see my hair short ah well you live and you learn thanks for this ...my little hair confession its good to let it out :lachen:

hillytmj

when i think about it my hair has always hovered at apl length the hairdresser liked to cut it back all the time :ohwell: telling me she is making it ''healthy'' and wait for it .....''making it grow'':rolleyes:

i dont get relaxers often and this last time i went there my hair was mid back when she cut it i was collarbone/grazing shoulder length...

when i heard her do that first cut at the back i knew it was too late as i heard her cutting into the THICKNESS of my hair i snapped back at her is this a bob???!!! ......she looked stunned im normally quiet as the long strands of hair fell into my lap i had to hold myself back from crying i would normally wear clip ins that were 20'' and my hair would blend in nicely when i tried to use them that last time it looked ridiculous short hair all sticking up all over the place:wallbash::wallbash:

Its taken me a year to grow back what she cut every time she would do her ''trim'' and i would go back months later she would be ''oh wow your hair has grown''

little did i know she was filled with haterade and wanted to see my hair short ah well you live and you learn thanks for this ...my little hair confession its good to let it out :lachen:

Well I can definitely see why you're done with the salon. I'm glad to hear that it grew back and that you're done with that crazy lady!!! :nono:

Thanks for sharing your story, Coconut. :yep:

Embyra

Thanks girls i will only go back there one more time after i have reached my hair goal purely so i can flash the hair in her face and use my blackmasterpiece line see ya later loves :lachen:

BlackMasterPiece

ROFL!!!:rofl::lol::rofl: Thats right!:giggle:........ Yea, I'm the worst:lachen:

I get the flare for drama from going to elementary school in the theatre district in Manhattan....thats my story and I'm stickin to it!:look:

Last edited:

destine2grow

I have decided to learn how to do everything myself. in the area I live in their is not a lot of salons that specialize in hair care and a lot of them apply the relaxer incorrectly. The pnly time I will go to the salon is to get my hair braided or to treat myself and I plan on taking my own hair products. Plus a lot of the salons around here use pump it up spritz and I don't like that hard spritz pn my hair. I am still searching for 1 that will hold my sytles but is not hard.

MangaManiac

I'm also glad to by a DIYer. In the past year I've only been to the stylist twice and that was to do 2 installments of my BC. I even learned to do my own individual/box braids recently and I've been getting my hair braided for over 10 years now.

From what I've learned on this website, through research, and trial and error I KNOW I understand my hair better than anyone else. Thanks to a YT tutorial I'm even going to start trimming my own hair (sorry, but I do NOT trust these crazy people with scissors!). I'll only going to a salon when I reach MBL or even WL for a blunt cut, so it's even. And when I go I'm going to an all-natural salon and telling them right up front I'll sue for emotional damage if they cut more than an inch! LOL!

shunemite

That's why I haven't stepped inside a salon for like 4 years. I will if there's a wedding or something, but that's about it.

SEMO

I understand just what you mean. I haven't been to a salon since my big chop years ago.

I had been recently thinking of going to a salon to get some twists put in (they take me so long to do myself and I wanted to treat myself too). But what's been stopping me is that I've gotten so used to doing my own hair that I don't know if I would like how someone else would handle it.