My ephiphany: I think I'm finally OVER the salon

meecee

when i think about it my hair has always hovered at apl length the hairdresser liked to cut it back all the time :ohwell: telling me she is making it ''healthy'' and wait for it .....''making it grow'':rolleyes:

i dont get relaxers often and this last time i went there my hair was mid back when she cut it i was collarbone/grazing shoulder length...

when i heard her do that first cut at the back i knew it was too late as i heard her cutting into the THICKNESS of my hair i snapped back at her is this a bob???!!! ......she looked stunned im normally quiet as the long strands of hair fell into my lap i had to hold myself back from crying i would normally wear clip ins that were 20'' and my hair would blend in nicely when i tried to use them that last time it looked ridiculous short hair all sticking up all over the place:wallbash::wallbash:

Its taken me a year to grow back what she cut every time she would do her ''trim'' and i would go back months later she would be ''oh wow your hair has grown''

little did i know she was filled with haterade and wanted to see my hair short ah well you live and you learn thanks for this ...my little hair confession its good to let it out :lachen:

WTF! I'm so glad you don't go to her anymore. A 7 inch cut is one of the worst stories I've heard here. Thats more than 1 year of growth for a lot of us.

hillytmj

I'm also glad to by a DIYer. In the past year I've only been to the stylist twice and that was to do 2 installments of my BC. I even learned to do my own individual/box braids recently and I've been getting my hair braided for over 10 years now.

From what I've learned on this website, through research, and trial and error I KNOW I understand my hair better than anyone else. Thanks to a YT tutorial I'm even going to start trimming my own hair (sorry, but I do NOT trust these crazy people with scissors!). I'll only going to a salon when I reach MBL or even WL for a blunt cut, so it's even. And when I go I'm going to an all-natural salon and telling them right up front I'll sue for emotional damage if they cut more than an inch! LOL!

Kudos to you. I followed some online instructions that I found in one of our threads and successfully did an even trim on myself. It was a good amount of hair trimmed (I needed it), but I didn't trip bacause I did it myself and only trimmed what I needed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Precious_P

I have learned a lot since doing my own hair. When I was in college I had major breakage and a huge bald spot. I went to 3 different hairdressers trying to get help and advice. No one could tell me what I could do to rectify the situation and prevent it from happening again. One hairdresser put braids in my hair and then "tacked" them on by sewing some thread into for reinforcement. another hairdresser did a sew in but glued tracks to the front of my hair. Needless to say, I gave up on them, found some real help from a family member that helped me retain length through sew-ins (after I continuously trimmed the damaged hair off). I found this forum and learned tips. Now if my hair looks crazy its my fault. My hair is healthy and I no longer have a bald spot.

Embyra

WTF! I'm so glad you don't go to her anymore. A 7 inch cut is one of the worst stories I've heard here. Thats more than 1 year of growth for a lot of us.

I know right i took pictures only 4 months after i couldnt bare to look at my hair before then it was pitiful to me :wallbash: i had tuffs sticking out of the hairband hardly anything to really call a pony tail :nono:

hillytmj

I have learned a lot since doing my own hair. When I was in college I had major breakage and a huge bald spot. I went to 3 different hairdressers trying to get help and advice. No one could tell me what I could do to rectify the situation and prevent it from happening again. One hairdresser put braids in my hair and then "tacked" them on by sewing some thread into for reinforcement. another hairdresser did a sew in but glued tracks to the front of my hair. Needless to say, I gave up on them, found some real help from a family member that helped me retain length through sew-ins (after I continuously trimmed the damaged hair off). I found this forum and learned tips. Now if my hair looks crazy its my fault. My hair is healthy and I no longer have a bald spot.

Congrats on finding your own healthy hair solution. Some of those stylists suggestions seem like they did more harm than good, and I bet they were expensive too. :nono:

Ann816

You may want to try Joyce Williams Sheen Spritz. It Humectant and it's pH Balanced. This spritz does not make the hair hard at all. It's the only spritz I use on my hair...love it!!! :yep:

Ann

I have decided to learn how to do everything myself. in the area I live in their is not a lot of salons that specialize in hair care and a lot of them apply the relaxer incorrectly. The pnly time I will go to the salon is to get my hair braided or to treat myself and I plan on taking my own hair products. Plus a lot of the salons around here use pump it up spritz and I don't like that hard spritz pn my hair. I am still searching for 1 that will hold my sytles but is not hard.

anon123

I think it's a good decision on your part. I was never into the salon. I've always hated going. That's the main reason I went natural.

Chromia

I went to the salon every 2 weeks for years, but I haven't been to one since Sept '07. My mom and grandparents have told me a few times that I do a better job than the stylist I used to visit.

Your stylist started 30 minutes late - I am all too familiar with that, sitting in the waiting area reading magazine after magazine and waiting and waiting. :nono: Last time I went to a salon I was there for 5 hours for a relaxer touch-up, DC, and rollerset.

I agree with you about most ladies with very long hair not going to salons.

I remember calling a salon and asking about their prices, and their answer was that it depends on your length. I never made an appointment at that place.

Along the lines of what BostonMaria and mwedzi said, it never felt like I was pampering myself at any salon. I always hated going. It always felt like a chore.

sunnieb

I totally agree with everyone! :grin:

I used to be a "every two weeks at the salon" as well as a "relaxer every 4 weeks" person. Now, the last time I was at the salon was September 16 and I don't plan on going back until December 9. I'm also moving towards getting relaxers every 12 weeks at a minimum. So I will only go to the salon a few times a year and only to get a relaxer.

I'm lucky that I have a good stylist who never keeps me waiting more than a few minutes and I'm usually out of there in little more than an hour. She applies my relaxer properly and it has never taken my hair out. However, as stated previously, no one will take care of my hair the way I do. Bottom line is I'm still just a client.

Sidenote: I also can't stomach going to a salon for my DCs. I like knowing that my head is the only one that has been in my plastic caps. I change them out regularly. Those plastic caps at the salon could have been used and re-used for YEARS! :barf:

Last edited:

30something

I use to go every two weeks for a wash and set because I thought they were professional and this was optimal way to take care of hair. None of them are "professional" They don't even use the best products, they usually only have like three salon quality products. Sometimes they don't even use the best of what beauty supplies stores have to offer. Not saying that salon products are any much better just want to point out they really don't do anything better than us which is sad because they have a license.

hillytmj

I totally agree with everyone! :grin:

I used to be a "every two weeks at the salon" as well as a "relaxer every 4 weeks" person. Now, the last time I was at the salon was September 16 and I don't plan on going back until December 9. I'm also moving towards getting relaxers every 12 weeks at a minimum. So I will only go to the salon a few times a year and only to get a relaxer.

I'm lucky that I have a good stylist who never keeps me waiting more than a few minutes and I'm usually out of there in little more than an hour. She applies my relaxer properly and it has never taken my hair out. However, as stated previously, no one will take care of my hair the way I do. Bottom line is I'm still just a client.

Sidenote: I also can't stomach going to a salon for my DCs. I like knowing that my head is the only one that has been in my plastic caps. I change them out regularly. Those plastic caps at the salon could have been used and re-used for YEARS! :barf:

Wow, I never thought about that. That is pretty gross, lol. :lachen:

Casarela

I think that being a great DIY is something that we sometimes take for granted.
Because imagine someone whos totally challenged with their hair reading this thread...

Thats why its good to put lazyness aside and practice practice and some more.

It DOES feel like freedom when you can do your hair and your confident with your results..its actually an achievement! SOme may think im exagerating but I don't feel like I am. I now can rollerset , style, trim ...Im happy with that. I also help my friends that have difficulty ''dealing'' with their hair.

When I ''treat'' myself to go to the salon I cringe , I cringe for each stroke when they comb my hair. Its more like a torture session more than anything why cause they dont really care for my fine strands as much as I do. They focus on the final result only regardless of the damage they can inflict to my hair.

hillytmj

I think that being a great DIY is something that we sometimes take for granted.
Because imagine someone whos totally challenged with their hair reading this thread...

Thats why its good to put lazyness aside and practice practice and some more.

It DOES feel like freedom when you can do your hair and your confident with your results..its actually an achievement! SOme may think im exagerating but I don't feel like I am. I now can rollerset , style, trim ...Im happy with that. I also help my friends that have difficulty ''dealing'' with their hair.

When I ''treat'' myself to go to the salon I cringe , I cringe for each stroke when they comb my hair. Its more like a torture session more than anything why cause they dont really care for my fine strands as much as I do. They focus on the final result only regardless of the damage they can inflict to my hair.

You described this very well. It's like I have to give myself a reminder and silent speech that "I'm dealing with them this one time. Hopefully my weekly and daily healthy hair practices will override how the stylist handles my hair."

BronzyBella

I can relate to "being over" salons. I don't like having to explain to whoever why I go so long between relaxers or why I don't wear my hair down. I also can't stand the lack of professionalism in some places.

However, if I decide to continue relaxing my hair, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't trust myself to do my own relaxers either and my mom or aunt aren't able to get my hair evenly straight throughout.

hillytmj

I can relate to "being over" salons. I don't like having to explain to whoever why I go so long between relaxers or why I don't wear my hair down. I also can't stand the lack of professionalism in some places.

However, if I decide to continue relaxing my hair, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't trust myself to do my own relaxers either and my mom or aunt aren't able to get my hair evenly straight throughout.

This is my problem too. My mom and granny can't get it fully processed either, so for now, I'll keep getting my relaxers at the salon, but I'll take care of the rest.

TheCoilWhisperer

I've been over the salon for years now.... but still I go:perplexed

My New Years resolution for 09' was to learn to do my hair myself in which I have.... about half a dozen times and it came out a hot mess more times than not. I'm great at washing, DC and detangling but styling, I'm straight in the remedial classes sitting in the back of the class on top of that. :nono:

I'm so use to coming out the salon with swag that when I "style" my own hair it's like my hands are the devil set out to make me look like Don King :rolleyes:

BUT I've told myself I'm gonna have to look like HAM and practice until I get it right so my hair can have that mwedz & BlackMasterPiece swag :yep:

I WILL BE A FULL AND SUCCESSFUL DIY'er !!!! (repeat and believe, repeat and become) :lachen:

BlackMasterPiece

You will definitely get there BreakageinAtlanta!!!! :bighug: just keep trying and you'll be giving the stylists tips when your thru because you look so on point:cool2: Stick to it we're all here for you:yep:

hillytmj

I've been over the salon for years now.... but still I go:perplexed

My New Years resolution for 09' was to learn to do my hair myself in which I have.... about half a dozen times and it came out a hot mess more times than not. I'm great at washing, DC and detangling but styling, I'm straight in the remedial classes sitting in the back of the class on top of that. :nono:

I'm so use to coming out the salon with swag that when I "style" my own hair it's like my hands are the devil set out to make me look like Don King :rolleyes:

BUT I've told myself I'm gonna have to look like HAM and practice until I get it right so my hair can have that mwedz & BlackMasterPiece swag :yep:

I WILL BE A FULL AND SUCCESSFUL DIY'er !!!! (repeat and believe, repeat and become) :lachen:

I like your attitude! I'll make that one of my 2010 hair goals too. I've been blessed to learn healthy haircare practices here. Now it's time to focus on styling so I can get that swang too, lol. :yep: