my eyes have been opened!

Evolving78

This past weekend I was exposed to some things that I had somewhat knowledge of but was still ignorant to it. It messed me up really bad and it now has me questioning a lot of things that I watch and listen to. I don't want to say exactly what it is, because I don't want to offend anyone or get into any debates about it but, a lot of the secular artists that I listen too don't share the same beliefs that I do and it is scary because a lot of the things that they believe in are within their lyrics. I don't see it as lyrics anymore, but more of messages about what their true agenda is. It hurts my heart and now that I have been exposed to the truth I don't know what to do. How can one make the distinction between entertainment and converting someone into something by putting in subliminal messages into what you are watching or listening to? Can anyone relate?

Last edited:

mrsmeredith

I think I heard a pastor mention something about that a while back concerning Jill scott and India arie but I don't know what he is referring to.

PaperClip

Based on msmeredith's remarks, I'm going take a leap and speculate by sharing this point:

Although I don't listen to A LOT of secular music, there are some secular artists that I cannot entertain because of their "vibe".... one example is Erykah Badu. It actually took a sisterfriend of mine (who is VERY DISCERNING) to point this out to me....

It's not even all about the lyrics, it's more about the spirit BEHIND her performance.... And she has a couple of songs that have a great beat and sound...but the combo is so seductive, enticing.... like she's been tapping into some things to get that vibe going to attract.... not necessarily sexual, but still that enticing spirit.

Of course I'm curious as to the specifics of your situation.

Evolving78

Based on msmeredith's remarks, I'm going take a leap and speculate by sharing this point:

Although I don't listen to A LOT of secular music, there are some secular artists that I cannot entertain because of their "vibe".... one example is Erykah Badu. It actually took a sisterfriend of mine (who is VERY DISCERNING) to point this out to me....

It's not even all about the lyrics, it's more about the spirit BEHIND her performance.... And she has a couple of songs that have a great beat and sound...but the combo is so seductive, enticing.... like she's been tapping into some things to get that vibe going to attract.... not necessarily sexual, but still that enticing spirit.

Of course I'm curious as to the specifics of your situation.

You both hit it one the nail. These particular artist 5 percenters and that is something that I'm just not down with. As I went over their lyrics in my head a lot of the teachings of the Nation of Gods and Earths are quoted and I'm mad because I have been ignorant to a lot of the things that I'm singing and dancing to. I for one don't believe that any of that so I can't really see myself listening to any of those artists anymore. Most of the neo-soul artists and some of the hiphop artists are firm believers in this movement and I don't agree with it at all.

Nice & Wavy

You both hit it one the nail. These particular artist 5 percenters and that is something that I'm just not down with. As I went over their lyrics in my head a lot of the teachings of the Nation of Gods and Earths are quoted and I'm mad because I have been ignorant to a lot of the things that I'm singing and dancing to. I for one don't believe that any of that so I can't really see myself listening to any of those artists anymore. Most of the neo-soul artists and some of the hiphop artists are firm believers in this movement and I don't agree with it at all.

I'm glad that you are sharing this. It's important:yep:

When I was a teenager, I became a 5 percenter..an earth is what they called the women. It messed me up something fierce. Very controlling and maniplative spirit behind that mess.

I thank God for His mercy and for His grace that I got out of that mess. I still remember some of the things you had to say to the men (gods) as they were called. Ridiculous to say the least.

Our ear gates are just as important and our eye gates. We must watch and pray and praying is listening as well as speaking. Discerning the things that are not of God and putting it under our feet. Being wise to the things that the devil puts out there as good things.

I don't listen to EB or any of these artists. I do like alot of ole school music and even in that, you have to be careful.

Blessings to you, always.

Evolving78

When I was a teenager, I became a 5 percenter..an earth is what they called the women. It messed me up something fierce. Very controlling and maniplative spirit behind that mess.

I thank God for His mercy and for His grace that I got out of that mess. I still remember some of the things you had to say to the men (gods) as they were called. Ridiculous to say the least.

Our ear gates are just as important and our eye gates. We must watch and pray and praying is listening as well as speaking. Discerning the things that are not of God and putting it under our feet. Being wise to the things that the devil puts out there as good things.

I don't listen to EB or any of these artists. I do like alot of ole school music and even in that, you have to be careful.

Thanks for sharing that. When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I was starting to go down that path and I dated a few guys that were into that stuff. At the time, I thought that they were so deep and so intellectual because they were talking over my head most of the time. All of that jazz started me questioning my faith and had me lost for awhile. I thank God that he saved me because I was going down a very troubled road.

DonnaDi31Proverbi

Wow, I was just thinking about this earlier today! I was thinking how my tastes in music tend to lean toward the neo-soul crowd, but I'm really weary of their music because of the whole soulish vibe of it. I've heard a lot of things about the 5 percenters in the music industry and have had my eyes opened as well.

I'm a huge music fan, and I used to listen to hip-hop a lot. In the past several years I've gotten away from it, but I've read up on "hip-hop" in general and there are some interesting things out there that I believe Christians need to be aware of. God is the creator of all things, and remember that Lucifer was essentially a minister of music (debatable) and music is more powerful than many people could ever imagine.

Why Hip Hop: http://www.exministries.com/whyhhh.html

billions

This past weekend I was exposed to some things that I had somewhat knowledge of but was still ignorant to it. It messed me up really bad and it now has me questioning a lot of things that I watch and listen to. I don't want to say exactly what it is, because I don't want to offend anyone or get into any debates about it but, a lot of the secular artists that I listen too don't share the same beliefs that I do and it is scary because a lot of the things that they believe in are within their lyrics. I don't see it as lyrics anymore, but more of messages about what their true agenda is. It hurts my heart and now that I have been exposed to the truth I don't know what to do. How can one make the distinction between entertainment and converting someone into something by putting in subliminal messages into what you are watching or listening to? Can anyone relate?

you know subliminal messages are everywhere... and a lot of that stuff carries over into our spirits and we don't know why we be actin out of character.. and yes a lot of artist now are on another tip with their religion..they are into a lot of stuff.... and Jay-z , well thats a whole nother subject..
you have to guard your spirit...
you have to be careful what goes into your eye gates and ear gates..
just because i person is sayin god, doesn't mean that they are talking about Jesus...
But please don't think yourself ignorant..
know you just know..

billions

Thanks for sharing that. When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I was starting to go down that path and I dated a few guys that were into that stuff. At the time, I thought that they were so deep and so intellectual because they were talking over my head most of the time. All of that jazz started me questioning my faith and had me lost for awhile. I thank God that he saved me because I was going down a very troubled road.

Man..
when i was in highschool one of my boyfriends was a 5%, and man did we bump heads..
he got on my Dang nerves....
backwards is what he was...
he would tell me how could i believe in the Bible when it was a book written by man..
and i would say fool who wrote that book you reading now.. a man...
I had to let that go...
If a man can't love God first.. he will ever completely be able to love me.

Evolving78

you know subliminal messages are everywhere... and a lot of that stuff carries over into our spirits and we don't know why we be actin out of character.. and yes a lot of artist now are on another tip with their religion..they are into a lot of stuff.... and Jay-z , well thats a whole nother subject..
you have to guard your spirit...
you have to be careful what goes into your eye gates and ear gates..
just because i person is sayin god, doesn't mean that they are talking about Jesus...
But please don't think yourself ignorant..
know you just know..

That whole Jay-z thing is crazy. I went to the Heart of the City concert and how everyone(including myself) was holding up that diamond sign and shout Hova. Now that I think about it I remember I got mad because I was like is this idiot calling himself God or what. I just got to be more careful. Sometimes we aren't even aware of half of the things we are saying or doing. I remember I couldn't watch Law and Order SUV when I was pregnant because of what it was doing to my spirit. couldn't watch the news either.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

Interesting topic. I never knew what 5 percenter was until I saw this post. I have seen it before of course.. i've seen it in movies, books, songs, ect. So yea, I never knew that they were basically calling themselves gods. Definitely an eye opener because the neo-soul/conscious hip hop is the music I listen to. I have to be more careful...

preciouzone

This is really interesting, I was having some of these same thoughts after listening to some songs lately. I'm more into the R&B music. And these songs do have that "vibe" to them. But I kept listening to them over and over on my player although I felt that this isn't really something I should be allowing myself to listen to.

Thanks for speaking out about this OP. Very interesting, especially in these times we surely do need to guard our minds, hearts, etc. No need to leave in portals open.

Preciouzone

Minx

Wow.
I would have NEVER in million years guessed this about you.
Thank God for deliverance!

To the OP: Yeah, G Craig is deep.
Many people choose to turn a deaf ear to his ministry (hurts too much to let go of some things/people/stuff we are attatched to) but it makes sense to me.

Anyway, Badu is definately a 5%er and does not hide it.
It is all interwoven in her music and lyrics and her persona(she used to be a female MC back in the day and was "Erica Free". Now, she has created this image partially based on those teachings.)
She named her son Seven(god) and she wears some of their symbols.

I think Jil was/is an earth, you know they run deep up in Philly, and she references some things pertaining to that cult in some of her lyrics.

Jay Z is into lucifer(remember the Black albumn?) and calls himself J-Hova god, which is what concerns me about Beyonce marrying him; she was raised Christian.

That cult is very scary to me.
I was talking to this guy about it once when I learned that he was participatimg in it.
After listening to him spew his twisted ideology, I simply told him he was demonic and that he needed Jesus.

You should have seen the demons come out(he looked at me with a look I have never seen before) I just started pleading the blood and didn't say anything else to him about it............

dk

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Wow.

Many people choose to turn a deaf ear to his ministry (hurts too much to let go of some things/people/stuff we are attatched to) but it makes sense to me.

It is all interwoven in her music and lyrics and her persona(she used to be a female MC back in the day and was "Erica Free". Now, she has created this image partially based on those teachings.)

I think Jil was/is an earth, you know they run deep up in Philly, and she references some things pertaining to that cult in some of her lyrics.

Jay Z is into lucifer(remember the Black albumn?) and calls himself J-Hova god, which is what concerns me about Beyonce marrying him; she was raised Christian.

I was talking to this guy about it once when I learned that he was participatimg in it.
After listening to him spew his twisted ideology, I simply told him he was demonic and that he needed Jesus.

You should have seen the demons come out(he looked at me with a look I have never seen before) I just started pleading the blood and didn't say anything else to him about it............

dk

:lachen:Did you listen to the lyrics in that song? It's not about being "into lucifer".:lachen:

Anyway the whole 5% thing makes no sense to me at all, and supreme mathmatics or whatever is just stupid. I don't understand how people get caught up in that. You'd think that they'd just read about the religion, realize how foolish it is and go sit down somewhere.

Minx

:lachen:Did you listen to the lyrics in that song? It's not about being "into lucifer".:lachen:

Anyway the whole 5% thing makes no sense to me at all, and supreme mathmatics or whatever is just stupid. I don't understand how people get caught up in that. You'd think that they'd just read about the religion, realize how foolish it is and go sit down somewhere.

Well, Chellero, I'll be honest with you, no I did not.......

However, at a G. Craig function, they played the song backward to reveal the hidden message contained in it and he did say some foul stuff about Jesus; it sent chills up my spine,seriously.

dk

Evolving78

Well, Chellero, I'll be honest with you, no I did not.......

However, at a G. Craig function, they played the song backward to reveal the hidden message contained in it and he did say some foul stuff about Jesus; it sent chills up my spine,seriously.

dk

Another guy mixed some samples of the Beattles and Jay-Z and that is how that whole message backwards got thrown in there. I'm not really trippin off of that song. That is why you always gotta find out things for yourself because some folks will just send people off. Jay-Z is someone that believes in his own will and not the will of Jesus Christ. That is foul enough. I can't knock anyone for what they believe in because we are all going to be accountable for our actions, but he is a person that I just can't support anymore. It messes me up though because I had a big crush on Common and he is so deep into that stuff it doesn't make sense. I have respect for him because he is human and we are taught to love our neighbors. So that is all I can do is have love for these people and pray for their souls and spirits because we are in troubles times. It is interesting though that they believe someone like me is a follower and that I'm the one that needs to be saved.

discobiscuits

What you all have said is true and makes sense.

Lucifer (angel of light) is an anointed angel (that anointing was never taken away and he still uses the power of it today) and from what I've heard various pastors teach, before he was cast out he was the highest ranking angel and one of his duties in heaven was "music". Lucifer, Satan, since his fall is now the father of lies and the prince of the power of the air. Again, I've heard it taught that satan uses music in the earth as he used it in heaven only on earth he perverts the messages in music. Since music is air waves, radio is air waves, I've heard it taught that the prince of the power of the air, uses the air waves to propagate his message through music. Hope that makes some kind of sense as I am attempting to condense this post.

This is one of the many reasons we are told to guard our hearts. Faith comes though hearing, and that faith includes what we hear. Faith in God comes from hearing the word. Faith in other things comes from hearing ________fill in the blank________.

Nice & Wavy

Anyway the whole 5% thing makes no sense to me at all, and supreme mathmatics or whatever is just stupid.
I don't understand how people get caught up in that. You'd think that they'd just read about the religion, realize how foolish it is and go sit down somewhere.
[/quote]

The whole thing is that you really don't know. It seems right at the time and its very subtle until you get involved. When I was a teenager, everyone was becoming one. There isn't anything to read about because it's more word of mouth than anything.

Evolving78

Wow.

dk

You are so right about EB. I used to love that song Orange Moon and that is all that she is talkin about. When she first came out, she made it clear that she was deep into that. That is why she started wearing head wraps and wraps around her body. See a woman is suppose to cover their head and wear loose fitting clothing. Jill Scott was talking about how she sometimes feels like a buddist, shouting like a baptist, etc... People just want to be able to just be and do want they want and be able to have mixer of organized religion in their lives that fits their wants and needs. When someone goes into that I create my own destiny and nobody or spirit had anything to do with that but me then where I from that is considered idoltry and blasphemy

Ramya

This is really interesting, I was having some of these same thoughts after listening to some songs lately. I'm more into the R&B music. And these songs do have that "vibe" to them. But I kept listening to them over and over on my player although I felt that this isn't really something I should be allowing myself to listen to.

Thanks for speaking out about this OP. Very interesting, especially in these times we surely do need to guard our minds, hearts, etc. No need to leave in portals open.

Preciouzone

This is how I realized I couldn't listen to a lot of my favorite artists. I would play the songs over and over and over for weeks. :nono:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Anyway the whole 5% thing makes no sense to me at all, and supreme mathmatics or whatever is just stupid.

The whole thing is that you really don't know. It seems right at the time and its very subtle until you get involved. When I was a teenager, everyone was becoming one. There isn't anything to read about because it's more word of mouth than anything.[/quote]

Well that makes sense to me. I just googled it a few years ago when I first started hearing about it, and decided that it was stupid. :lachen:

kweenameena

Wow!! Thank you to all of you. You have just opened my eyes because I had no idea that most of my favorite artists are not of God. I'm kinda hurt because I play Jill's latest CD at my desk all day. It's going to be hard staying away from that type of music. I'm speechless because I really had no idea.:nono:

How interesting. Dang...now I have to find some new grooves. Everything has an origin. I'm just too lazy to research all the background information. I guess it is easier to stick to the Word. (sigh)

Below is from Wiki - I don't take the info. as legit all the time but it is a bases of pulling the meaning of things together.

Hip hop
From the early 1980s to today, many Five Percenters are found among the American East Coast, West Coast, and Midwest, in cities such as New York City, Trenton, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Los Angeles, especially among the hip hop scene. Hip hop artists such as Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Brand Nubian, Talib Kweli, Papoose, Busta Rhymes, Hell Razah, Erykah Badu, Nas, Prodigy, Jus Allah, Poor Righteous Teachers, Gang Starr, J-Live, AZ, and many others had success spreading the theology of the Five Percenters. This spread, in part, uses the language of Supreme Mathematics, which represents universal law and order, and the Supreme Alphabet, which represents universal principles of life, ostensibly to forge solidarity with the inner-city youth through a common language.[8] The main theme of the Five-Percenter doctrine that can be heard on hip hop records is the teaching that the Original Blackman is God, the Original Blackwoman is the planet Earth, and through the inner esoteric powers of the Gods and Earths, the youth can transform and possess its true potential, which seems to overthrow the overbearing oligarchy by becoming just rulers of themselves.
Many terms that originated as Five-Percenter jargon have been adopted into the hip hop slang as well. For example, the term "G" in hip hop originally was short for the Five-Percenter greeting of "God", which, through its spread to the West Coast and the rise of gangsta rap, it eventually evolved into "gangsta", a stretch from its origin. Other popular terms such as "word is bond", while having significantly older roots than the Five Percenters, were believed to have gained prominence through its use of the term, referring back to the Nation of Islam and the NGE's shared 120 Degrees.[2]

Nice & Wavy

The whole thing is that you really don't know. It seems right at the time and its very subtle until you get involved. When I was a teenager, everyone was becoming one. There isn't anything to read about because it's more word of mouth than anything.

Well that makes sense to me. I just googled it a few years ago when I first started hearing about it, and decided that it was stupid. :lachen:[/quote]

It's been around for many, many years. I'm 44 so you know....:yep:

Nice & Wavy

Wow!! Thank you to all of you. You have just opened my eyes because I had no idea that most of my favorite artists are not of God. I'm kinda hurt because I play Jill's latest CD at my desk all day. It's going to be hard staying away from that type of music. I'm speechless because I really had no idea.:nono:

There is some decent music that you can listen to, i'm sure...you just have to find out what. Like I said before, I love old skool music and even in that, you have to be careful...but it's alot safer to listen to than alot of the music nowadays:yep:

preciouzone

What you all have said is true and makes sense.

Lucifer (angel of light) is an anointed angel (that anointing was never taken away and he still uses the power of it today) and from what I've heard various pastors teach, before he was cast out he was the highest ranking angel and one of his duties in heaven was "music". Lucifer, Satan, since his fall is now the father of lies and the prince of the power of the air. Again, I've heard it taught that satan uses music in the earth as he used it in heaven only on earth he perverts the messages in music. Since music is air waves, radio is air waves, I've heard it taught that the prince of the power of the air, uses the air waves to propagate his message through music. Hope that makes some kind of sense as I am attempting to condense this post.

This is one of the many reasons we are told to guard our hearts. Faith comes though hearing, and that faith includes what we hear. Faith in God comes from hearing the word. Faith in other things comes from hearing ________fill in the blank________.

It's interesting that you brought up the history behind Lucifer and his current efforts, because it reminds me of two things:

First, a verse from Ephesians that says -
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

And second, I remember a chapter in Think in Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill that I read ... here's a little of how Ch. 13 THE BRAIN: a Broadcasting and Receiving Station for Thought begins,

In a study by the author with Dr Alexander Graham Bell and Elmer R. Gates, it was concluded that every human brain is both a broadcasting and receiving stating for the vibration of thought.

Through the medium of the ether, in a fashion similar to that employed by the basic principle of radio and other wireless communication, every human brain is capable of picking up vibrations of thought released by other brains.

So what I am getting is that during these last days, there will be more of a struggle going on. And it is a spiritual war... nothing we can really see and sometimes even understand. The thing I learned through this book is that everything in life was brought about from a thought or an idea. Everything originates or is born... conceived from someones idea or thought process.

But then I think, where did these ideas come from? How were they planted there to begin with?

So anyways, I'm sitting here thinking about these artist that sings these songs and put these words together for these songs and back it up with music to then introduce to the world... my question is, if these words are not of God and are not God's words -- then what are they? And can it be that there is another way that these artist are getting insight to their lyrics other than God?

I would catch myself while listen to these songs and just become hypnotized by the lyrics, the music, the way it sounds and just start moving to the beat. And I don't know why I just had to repeat the song over and over again. It's really like a subliminal message being sent and I continued to expose myself to it. ( Won't get into it, but I am abstaining from sex... yet I would listen to these songs talking about making love and touching my body, etc. -- And that alone will have me questioning my decision and that it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and just do it... )

When you don't know something, you just don't know. But when you find something out or now know... you do differently, if you choose. I decided to stop listening to these types of music last night while reading this thread. And today there was this one song in particular that I was jamming to for the last month and has been playing through my head but I had enough self control not to look it up on youtube and listen to it over and over again.

Ummm, sorry for the long post.:look:

Preciouzone

Highly Favored8

We all have to be very selective in the music we listen to.

Now I was reding a magazine a few months back about EB and the men she has been with and they were saying Common, was like their is something about her spirit and how a man can fall deeply in love with her:perplexed I do not know what to say. However, I thank God for his Discernment!

Evolving78

We all have to be very selective in the music we listen to.

Now I was reding a magazine a few months back about EB and the men she has been with and they were saying Common, was like their is something about her spirit and how a man can fall deeply in love with her:perplexed I do not know what to say. However, I thank God for his Discernment!

Girl he is so far gone it doesn't make any sense. He is also wrapped up into the 5% as well. You can hear it very clearly in his music.

Evolving78

That song by Jill Scott called My Love, I love the melody and her voice, but she is talking about telling some married man about how she feels about him, what they had going, and how he needs to be with her. Now for someone that doesn't support adultry, why am I grovin to this song? It had me thinking back to some things that I went through in my past and I don't need to be thinking those thoughts anymore. The devil is busy!