My gel has lye in it!

RainbowCurls

I'm trying to go natural here!
Just noticed my (Elasta QP) gel has sodium hydroxide in. It is quite far down the ingredients list but then there aren't that many ingredients!
I know some products (soaps?) have lye in, but will any amount (even small) damage or straighten my hair?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I don't know but that is weird :confused: .
PerfectDoak said:
Just noticed my (Elasta QP) gel has sodium hydroxide in. It is quite far down the ingredients list but then there aren't that many ingredients!
I know some products (soaps?) have lye in, but will any amount (even small) damage or straighten my hair?

RainbowCurls

Come to think of it, lye relaxers did very little to my hair so I doubt this gel will do anything!
But, I think I'm going to stop using it anyway.

I was too busy looking for cones in the ingredients that I missed the lye!

Chinagem

I don't think the gel will change your hair either. If you are talking about glaze, I used this when I was natural for my shake-n-gos and it gave nice definition to my hair, washed out nicely, AND left me with my previous natural texture.

deedabug

couldn't be glaze could it...cuz my jar doesnt have lye listed...my jar could be old and they changed the formula...i've been workin on this jar for a long time...

but thanks for the heads up on whichever one it is...

kitchen_tician

Hard to believe, but many hair products have lye/sodium hydroxide in them, including NTM (neutrongena's triple moisture) Silk Touch leave-in and some shampoos.

RainbowCurls

It's this one:

Ingredients:Water, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Octoxynol-13, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Polysorbate-20, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzophenone-4

I should have been suspicious, they spelled gel with a J! ;)

Never mind, I've got some IC Fantasia gel (that everyone raves about) to try out anyway :D

deedabug

PerfectDoak said:
It's this one:

Ingredients:Water, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Octoxynol-13, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Polysorbate-20, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzophenone-4

I should have been suspicious, they spelled gel with a J! ;)

Never mind, I've got some IC Fantasia gel (that everyone raves about) to try out anyway :D

i thought it was this one after visiting their site...:cool:

kitchen_tician

PerfectDoak said:

I just peeked in your album and I LOVE your hair and ALL of the colors. :yep: I'm going to go back and study it some more when I have time. You're so FUNKY!!! :D

RainbowCurls

kitchen_tician said:
I just peeked in your album and I LOVE your hair and ALL of the colors. :yep: I'm going to go back and study it some more when I have time. You're so FUNKY!!! :D

I think I'm stuck with my current colour for a few months though, apparently it takes ages to wash out. It'll give me some time to plan what I'm going to do next though.

Cooyah

toothpaste has lye in it, so does nair, veet, and quite a few things people use on their hair and skin on a daily basis

RainbowCurls

CiaJcanBabi said:
toothpaste has lye in it, so does nair, veet, and quite a few things people use on their hair and skin on a daily basis

I'm not worried about my teeth getting any straighter though :lol:

And I don't think leg hair getting straighter is a problem when the nair will be burning it off anyway ;)

Cooyah

PerfectDoak said:
I'm not worried about my teeth getting any straighter though :lol:

And I don't think leg hair getting straighter is a problem when the nair will be burning it off anyway ;)
DWL, very true, but i don't think that lye in small quantities will affect your hair (now if you put nair on it, we have a different story)

deedabug

CiaJcanBabi said:
DWL, very true, but i don't think that lye in small quantities will affect your hair (now if you put nair on it, we have a different story)

i really have to check my toothpaste...i know tht flouride tears my teeth down..im gonna have to really get the natural toothpaste and forget about the rest....

if lye in hair products aside from a relaxer doesnt hurt..why is it there?? not tryna be funny but i genuinely wanna know...

so1913

CiaJcanBabi said:

yes....and it's in Draino, Mr Plumber, Oven Off.....I don't know about the toothpaste thing, but I know what the function lye in Nair and Veet is, so as a natural, I DO NOT want that stuff in my hair gel! LOL

BerrySweet

Hard to believe, but many hair products have lye/sodium hydroxide in them, including NTM (neutrongena's triple moisture) Silk Touch leave-in and some shampoos.

WTF????????? NOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

vaqtea

deedabug said:
i really have to check my toothpaste...i know tht flouride tears my teeth down..im gonna have to really get the natural toothpaste and forget about the rest....

if lye in hair products aside from a relaxer doesnt hurt..why is it there?? not tryna be funny but i genuinely wanna know...

Thats what I would like to know :confused:

Is Soduim hydroxide by itself okay?

It seems that in relaxers (or nair) its mixed with some other ingredient that makes it active ...... but Im just assuming.

RainbowCurls

deedabug said:

I'd like to know too. What purpose does it serve?