Question about Trader Joe's Refresh Conditioner & Lye

discobiscuits

LHCF TJ users, chemists and vets:

Is the sodium hydroxide in Trader Joe's Refresh Conditioner lye? You know, as in the sodium hydroxide in relaxers?

I realize that it is one of the last ingredients on the list. However, we don't know what percentage it is in the product and what the purpose is. If one of you can shed the light on this I really would appreciate it.

I want to try this conditioner but I'm natural and I don't want to risk messing with my curl pattern.

TIA

Ingredients: Botanical water extracts of chamomile, comfrey, lemon peel, sage and yarrow, cetyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, citric acid, jojoba oil, essential oil of sweet orange, panthenol (vitamin B5), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), tocopherol (vitamin E), retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), essential oil of grapefruit, essential oil of tangerine, sodium hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance.

Link: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002487.htm
Definition:
Sodium hydroxide is a very strong chemical that is also known as lye and caustic soda.
Sodium hydroxide is found in many industrial solvents and cleaners, including flooring stripping products, brick cleaners, cements, and many others. It may also be found in certain household products, including:
* Aquarium products
* Clinitest tablets
* Drain cleaners
* Hair straighteners
* Metal polishes
* Oven cleaners
Note: This list is not all inclusive.

LyndseyJK

subscribing. This was on my list to get after I finished my Tresemme but I wont go near it if it has the effects of a perm. Do all the Trader Joe conditioners have this ingredient?

discobiscuits

also, i doubt that it has any of the effects that a perm has, i just wonder what the SH may do to my hair over time or if i use it as a leave in. i'm thinking that it may loosen my curl pattern with regular use over time but not straighten it or "damage" it.

msa

I know there were some threads in the past regarding sodium hydroxide in the Pantene Relaxed and Natural Leave-In (I think). Try searching that and see what you find. I know it was explained that it really doesn't have an affect on your hair because of the tiny concentration.

the lye is used to adjust the ph of the conditioner. the concentration of lye in nourish spa is not enough to relax hair(not even over time). the ph of the conditioner is not high enough. lye is also used to make surfactants, castile soap, shampoo bars, preztles, grits and many other types of food.

Chameleonchick

sodium hydroxide in a low percentage is probably used as a PH adjuster. You can also find sodium hydroxide in Colgate Toothpaste. I wouldn't worry about it.

discobiscuits

aaahhhhhhhh pH adjuster. i NEVER knew that..... off to learn more. thanks for the replies. i really like the scent of Refresh better than the Nourish. i know that sodium hydroxide is used in tons of products, but i also thought that even in small concentrations, it was caustic and bad. if it isn't then i plan on trying this conditioner.

off to search for the pantene threads. thanks again.

discobiscuits

OMG. I apologize to y'all. *smacks head*

i did a search for TJ but not SH. i'm now skimming the threads from 2003, 2004, etc !!!! LOL @ myself. i thought a search on SH would not get me the answers i wanted i figured that it would bring up every relaxer thread. i see now that ppl have asked this about lost of poos and cons....off to read :bookworm:

but thanks again for helping me i did not know the pH thing.

discobiscuits

okay i'm back.

this is why i was asking. i was kind of thinking along these lines. i'm going to think on this one. it took me about 2 yrs to finally get to the products that i use. i'm not 100% natural or ayruvedic as far a the products that i use but i try to get prods that are as natural/chemical free as possible. i don't think i've ever used a conditioner that had SH in it. i also thought that SH caused dryness (soaps, skin care prods). still reading.

I have noticed alot of straightening products(serums and creams), shampoos and conditioners w/ this CHEMICAL in it...Even though it is at the end of the ingredient list your skin is still absorbing it...your skin is the largest organ on your body and absorb WAY more nutrients quicker and at a faster rate than orally!....Just like if you stay in the sun long enough it will eventually cause harm...It 's effects may take a while Sodium Hydroxide is not ment to stay on the hair...Companies kill me w/ there cheap way of creating hair products...especially Black hair products...if they need to lower ph or blend or break down or even emulsify there are PLENTY of NATURAL ingredients that can do the job...and do it way better!...it still is a chemical....Altough I am relaxed that is the only time that I am putting an Harsh Chemical on my hair. Personally I will not buy a product that contains that ingredient and then leave it on my hair or use it as a deep conditioner ( so it can further seep in my scalp),for staightening or for a co-wash...I am running away from that chemical as much as I can!

That is just my HO.

But to each is own..

tkj25

the ingredients listed on a product ore in order of concentration -- highest to lowest. usually the first five ingredients listed make up the bulk of a product. sodium hydroxide this far down on their list won't straighten your hair. it's probably serving as an alkalizer -- balancing the pH.