My hair EPIPHANY: How ponytails = breakage spots at the crown and nape

beana

This may seem like common knowledge to most of you ladies: but i found myself asking why i havent been able to achieve BSL length hair after 3 years... I'm addicted to trimming my hair and cutting the damage. I had to ask why im constantly cutting the damage, every time i get fresh ends my hair is healthy yet it always ends up in the same ragged condition trim after trim... I keep doing the same things after my trims... putting my hair right back in the ponytails. at one point i slept in ponytails, wore them throughout the day. its no wonder why my weak spots (crown and nape) never grew out healthy and thick like the rest of my hair. The ponytails kept putting stress on the weak areas.

I actually gathered my hair together like i was getting ready to put it in a ponytail and noticed that the areas where the ponytail holder would go were all stressed looking (if that makes any sense). I'm going to have a MAJOR styling crisis now... i'll have to find styling alternatives for my hair that look neat and pulled together.

After 3 years I think i can finally reach full, healthy thick BSL length by June '08. HTH helps the ladies who are struggling to fill in their ends and have damage spots at their crown area.

Daisimae

You are not alone. This is my problem too. Only I'm not near BSL, (or APL for that matter), and addicted to phonie ponies. I'm comitted to getting rid of them in September when the weather is cooler. It will be easier to wig it then too.

♦K.O♦

I wear ponytails and buns almost 24/7 and I never have breakage. Are you sure it's the ponytail and NOT the ponytail holder?

STLCoverGirl

Have you tried using the satin ponytail holders? They are a lot better than anything else I have found. I have the same issues with my front sides, when I pull my hair back into a ponytail I think they are damaged from all the stress. I try to switch it up now, I will put my ponytail on the sides or up higher as well.

beana

At mizzesq: I also know women who wear ponytails/buns all the time and have healthy full hair... im just not one of these ladies i guess. i think my hair is weaker in those areas to begin with which is why the ponytails really do a number on me. 2 years ago i wore braidouts and noticed my hair was longer/fuller at the crown/nape

I'll try the satin holders as an alternate option when i HAVE to wear ponytails.

Miss*Tress

I think it's the ponytail holder too, either that or you're putting it in too tight. Hair has to be loose enough for you to reach your scalp without having to tug or dig - that's how I check anyway. Wearing buns and ponytails up to seven days a week for weeks at a time has never damaged my hair (or hairline).

Soliel185

This may seem like common knowledge to most of you ladies: but i found myself asking why i havent been able to achieve BSL length hair after 3 years... I'm addicted to trimming my hair and cutting the damage. I had to ask why im constantly cutting the damage, every time i get fresh ends my hair is healthy yet it always ends up in the same ragged condition trim after trim... I keep doing the same things after my trims... putting my hair right back in the ponytails. at one point i slept in ponytails, wore them throughout the day. its no wonder why my weak spots (crown and nape) never grew out healthy and thick like the rest of my hair. The ponytails kept putting stress on the weak areas.

I actually gathered my hair together like i was getting ready to put it in a ponytail and noticed that the areas where the ponytail holder would go were all stressed looking (if that makes any sense). I'm going to have a MAJOR styling crisis now... i'll have to find styling alternatives for my hair that look neat and pulled together.

After 3 years I think i can finally reach full, healthy thick BSL length by June '08. HTH helps the ladies who are struggling to fill in their ends and have damage spots at their crown area.

I realized this earlier this year. Try using scrunchies made of satin or another non-porous material - it can double as a bun donut if it's thick enough. Also - try twisting your hair into a French Twist or rolling and securing with a claw. These styles leave my hair protected but don't put stress on my wear areas. Also, move around the site of your bun or pony to give places a break. HTH