Help! My natural hair is breaking!

somewhereinbtwn

Help how do I stop my hair from breaking!!!!
Hi I just started my hhj and I’m already having a setback! I have been noticing a lot of breakage that I was not seeing before. I think it is because I got my hair straightened using a pressing comb about a month ago and now my hair is breaking like crazy! When I get it flat ironed, I have minimal breakage. I’ve been wearing buns instead of my normal wash n go hair bc its less manipulation, but I don’t know what else to do.

I really don’t understand how to use protein very well. I have been dcing with Queen Helene’s Cholesterol (this has protein in it right?), and I like that. Also, I used Aphogee Essential Oils once but my hair did not like it at all. But that was before I damaged it with the pressing comb, so should I try it again? Will my hair react differently to it now? Other than that I have some small packets of Somang Keratin shampoo and conditioner I could use, and I have been using buttermilk/yogurt periodically to loosen my curl pattern, and that also has protein in it, should I start doing this more? I was also considering doing a black tea rinse, but I’m not even sure if that would really be helpful at this point.
[FONT=&quot]
I know I asked a lot of questions, any advice would be great! [/FONT]

WyrdWay

I'm not protein expert but that sounds like to much protein. Try upping your moisture. But your press could also be contributing.

Dee Raven

Hi Sophiabelul, sorry to hear about the troubles. There are a lot of things you could do but my main recommendation is that you don't go overboard with solutions. Protein is not the end all be all solution to every hair woe. Everybody's hair has a different balance and that has to be discovered over time. Right now you have a heat damage problem and I would suggest that you keep it simple (as far as product usage) until you have fully diagnosed the extent of the damage. What's damaged is damaged and it won't come back, so there is nothing you can do to salvage it. But in the mean time you don't want to cause anymore damage by adding elements to your regimen that you are unsure of. Keep using the products that you already know have been working and stay away from heat for a while. It sounds like you have a good knowlegde base of your options, so try one option out at a time for a couple weeks. Does it help? Yes/No. Then try something else. Right now patience is going to be your best friend. Your hair will grow back out, that's nature. And for the meantime try not to despair. And good luck.

somewhereinbtwn

Thank you for your advice ladies. Yea I know that’s a lot of protein, I was just trying to figure out my options. I haven’t actually used any yet except for the dc, which I have been using weekly since my HHJ began in June. I think I’m going to clarify tomorrow with ORS creamy aloe shampoo, the condition with the protein conditioner, and dc with Queen Helene cholesterol and see how that goes. And step up my moisturizing a bit, I’m pre pooing with EVOO as we e-speak.

I think I should mos def stay away from heat. I was planning on experimenting with some blow dried or wet set looks but I guess that’s out the question for a while. Although I’m flat ironing in six weeks for a wedding, but I don’t plan on using anymore heat after that until I feel my hair can take it.

But in the mean time you don't want to cause anymore damage by adding elements to your regimen that you are unsure of.

I’m definitely gonna have a problem with this one because ever since I found this site I’ve developed a serious case of product addiction….I know I’m a cliché! I got some serious withdrawal symptoms yesterday walking out of Sally’s and NOT buying any of the GVP Paul Mitchell conditioner on sale for 4.99 lol!

lilsparkle825

I think I should mos def stay away from heat. I was planning on experimenting with some blow dried or wet set looks but I guess that’s out the question for a while. Although I’m flat ironing in six weeks for a wedding, but I don’t plan on using anymore heat after that until I feel my hair can take it.
Wet sets, as in rollersets under the dryer? If so, that is indirect heat, which is fine, FYI.

Don't do too much too soon is all the advice I can give you. Hope you figure out what works for you.