My hair is breaking ... help!

GeekGrrl

I've heard so many good things about this forum, I know someone can help me.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My hair started breaking a few weeks ago. My stylist colored my hair and it's been shedding like crazy since. I'm getting A LOT of hair in the comb and when I washed it last night ... I was just pulling strands (handfulls) and they were breaking like crazy. I have thick/long hair, so it's not that noticeable, but I'm afraid I'll be bald in a week.

I applied a deep conditioner last night and twisted it. I've been pulling my hair back in a bun lately because I'm growing it longer and I don't have a perm, so it's just easier for me. But I'm thinking that pulling it back in a bun isn't helping either.

Please help! I really, really, really don't want to cut it.

BTW, I have 3C hair, that's about 2" lower than my shoulders and my goal is to reach my bra strap.

Thanks ladies!

northernbelle

Well, what was the condition of your hair before you received a color treatment?

Is your hair actually breaking, or is it shedding, or both? These are not the same.

I guess what I am saying is that we need more information re: the condition of your hair, and your daily and weekly haircare practices. Also, which products do you use? Finally, do you use heat to style your hair?

northernbelle

GeekGrrl

My hair was in pretty decent shape b4 the color treatment ... a little on the dry side though.

I would say that my hair is breaking ... it's not coming out from the root. There may be some shedding involved, but it's mostly breakage IMO.

Lately I've been pulling it back in a bun nearly every day (however, I do apply a little moisturizer + water on it to make it hold/slick). I wash my hair weekly using Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner. When I do it at home, I let it air dry (in about 4 braids) and then straighten it w/ a blower drying and curling iron OR pull it back in a bun. My stylist (who I see about twice/month), washes it and roller sets and then uses a blow drying to straighten it. About once/month I apply a deep conditioner.

I hope this helps. Thanks for responding!

G

[ QUOTE ]
GeekGrrl said:
I've heard so many good things about this forum, I know someone can help me.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My hair started breaking a few weeks ago. My stylist colored my hair and it's been shedding like crazy since. I'm getting A LOT of hair in the comb and when I washed it last night ... I was just pulling strands (handfulls) and they were breaking like crazy. I have thick/long hair, so it's not that noticeable, but I'm afraid I'll be bald in a week.

I applied a deep conditioner last night and twisted it. I've been pulling my hair back in a bun lately because I'm growing it longer and I don't have a perm, so it's just easier for me. But I'm thinking that pulling it back in a bun isn't helping either.

Please help! I really, really, really don't want to cut it.

BTW, I have 3C hair, that's about 2" lower than my shoulders and my goal is to reach my bra strap.

Thanks ladies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Geek. I am glad you came over here... /images/graemlins/sekret.gif This same thing happened to me too when I put color in. I used some Aphogee Treatment and that cleared that right on up. That stuff smells, but it works for me. Hope it works. See ya on the other side. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GeekGrrl

To: KarmenDeaha ... Um Hmmm, "on the other side" huh? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I washed and deep conditioned last night, should I wait a few days before using the Aphogee Treatment?

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Howdy Girlie!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I hope your hair is in better condition now. You should try deep conditioning twice a month and doing hot oil treatments twice a month too. You know us 3c's have a habit of having the winter dry our hair out.

G

[ QUOTE ]
GeekGrrl said:
To: KarmenDeaha ... Um Hmmm, "on the other side" huh? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I washed and deep conditioned last night, should I wait a few days before using the Aphogee Treatment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aphogee right away and follow up with hot oil or a really moisturizing conditioner. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SandySea

I agree with the Aphogee treatment. For me this has been a tried and true way to stop breakage (since I was 11 years old). Also, during your recovery time, baby your hair. Don't use heat at all if possible. Also, avoid manipulating your hair too often. I also like profective break-free leave in. It's gunky and smells funny to me, but it seems to aid in slowing down breakage and it helps to tame my new growth. After the Aphogee, I would continue to condition with Motions CPR or some other mild protein conditioner. In between washing and conditioning, moisturizing is a must. Look for a glycerin-rich moisturizer (not hair grease). With some TLC I hope that your breakage will stop. Hang in there.

GeekGrrl

/images/graemlins/clap.gif
Hey mly3e!

The winter is hell on my hair. Looks like I'll be wearing my hair natural for a while ... bye, bye bun /images/graemlins/frown.gif

It was so convenient too.

Cres81

The same thing happened to me when I got my hair colored. It actually broke on the back sides of my hair. Since my hair is long and thick as well it wasn't that noticeable. My hair dresser did a series of moisturizing treatments and an Aphogee treatment for 8 weeks to help build my hair back.

Huggette

when you color you need ALOT more moisture. i would say deep con every wash. and do the aphogee and/or emergencee to help bring your hair back. btw did you go lighter or darker?

also if you want straight hair i'd say roller set over blowdrying. blow drying may be too much manipulation for now.

don't forget...moisture moisture moisture!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif