Help! My hair is breaking off!

cjohnson

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but I figure what better time to join than when my hair is breaking off. It's breaking off in the back about 2 inches from the root. I colored it about 6 months ago and I've noticed breakage in the past 3 months. It use to be thick and full, and now it's thin. My beautician told me to use a reconstructive conditioner, and I've been using a Nexxus reconstructor for about a month and a half, but I've seen no results. If anyone can offer suggestions I would greatly appreciate it because this problem is stressing me out which I know can't be helping the situation. Please Help!

nekee

Post your regime
Do you moisturise at least twice a day ? especially those coloured ends ?
Have you tried using an Aphogee Treatment ?
Dont comb your hair when it is wet - try finger combing
If u must use a come use a wide tooth comb
Try to use absolutely no heat
Is your hair natural ?

You can do a search on "breakage" and sees what comes up .
sorry if i was no help

Nacai23

Hello and welcome to the forum

I had a color mishap last year. My hair broke off to the newgrowth. I just cut it all off, now I'm natural. I didn't know what to do then, but looking back, there were things that I could've done. I was still using a hotcurler with all that damage
. Anyway, Do you have a relaxer? Do you think that it's chemical damage? Or is it dryness? If you want to try and revive your hair, I say put it in a bun/any protective style and keep it really moisturized daily. Try a more intensive protein treatment, like Aphogee. Also, what's your hair type? If it's in the 3's or 4's, it's very important that you keep it very, very, very moisturized. Try not to use blowdryers/hotcurlers until the problem is fixed

aqualung

I'll advise Clairol Renewal 5X conditioner for colored/permed hair to strengthen your strands during conditioner washes. It drastically reduced my shedding and breakage, and my hair is relaxed and fine. Leave in a thick, creamy conditoner like LUST (L'Oreal unfrizz smooth treatment) or Profectiv breakfree to moisturize between washes.

cjohnson

I wanted to thank everyone so much for the suggestions. I enjoy reading everyone's postings, and I really feel the love here. My hair is relaxed, and I was wondering if that may be part of the problem. I believe my hair type is a 4 and I've been using KeraCare Shampoo and the Nexxus conditioner. For the past three weeks I've been using Suave hot oil treatments which helps sometimes, but yesterday I got a relaxer after about 8 weeks (I usually go every 4-6 weeks, but I was trying to hold out because I thought that was causing the damage) and I had a LOT of breakage. There was a huge mass of tangled hair that just came out, and I was horrified!

nita4

cjohnson, welcome to the forum.

You need to identify the source of your breakage. First thing that comes to my mind is a reaction between the color and relaxer. What kind did you use and was it right after your relaxer? It may also be the way you wear your hair too. Sleeping in rollers or it may just be overprocessed.

I would start by using a clarifing shampoo on my hair, since you have been giving yourself protein treatments you may have protein overload now that is contributing to the breakage.

I love the Nexxus conditioners myself. I would use the Humectress after the shampoo - w/heat for 30 minutes - rinse and put into a protective style until your next shampoo - NO HEAT with the exception of conditioning. Try to do this at least twice a week using a moisturizing shampoo. Use the protein (Keraphix or Emergencee) at least once a month. If you don't have these conditioners - others will do.

Just be consistent in your care and leave your hair alone for awhile. Also use a daily moisturizer - while wearing in a protective style S-Curl, world of curls -something that keeps your hair soft/moist. Best to you.

Ladies, anything else??