My hair is damaged due to hard water = overly porous...no fixing it (long)

simplyhair

UPDATE: Please see this new thread. Your hair can be corrected. :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

I was SO sure that the ION Crystal Clarifying Treatment was going to be the cure to my sticky and clingy hair. I envisioned a wonderful wash day with tight bouncy curls from a rollerset and ready to report back to LHCF with my success. NOT! :wallbash: Well, the curls were nice but when I gently tried to separate the hair strands, they were sticking together as usual.

Below is an email I just sent to my stylist (cuz it's Sunday) giving her a heads up about my hair. She has been working/counseling me about a solution thinking it was the hard water and could be corrected with a crystal treatment.

Email:
Hey "Stylist",

I spoke with a Sally Representative (licensed stylist) from the corporate office in Texas on Friday. I told her the ION Crystal Clarifying Treatment did not work on my hair and that it is still sticky and clinging together. She said whenever they hear a customer complain about sticky or clinging hair, usually it means the hair is damaged. She told me to try the product again and if it doesn’t work, then my hair strands are damaged.

We had the water softener installed on Friday. I finally did the ION treatment again on Sunday after I clarified my hair. I sat under the dryer for 20 minutes, rinsed and conditioned as the directions stated. Once my hair dried, the strands are still bumpy and sticking together as if the cuticles are raised. I’m assuming that the bumpy and raised “things” I see on the strands are the cuticles. I don’t know for sure. What do you think?

I’ve spent most of my Sunday researching what could possibly be the problem. Now, I’m back to square one that my hair is overly porous because of the hard water. Based on my research, damaged and over porous hair cannot be repaired or corrected. Unfortunately, it is there forever until it is cut off. I found the following information possibly confirming that the hard water could have been a culprit to the over porous hair and the lifted cuticles.

Article from here:

Hair with high porosity is considered "overly porous" and is the result of previous overprocessing. Other factors that can also affect porosity include heat damage, chlorine/hard water/mineral saturation, sun damage, or use of harsh ingredients. Overly porous hair is damaged in some way, and is dry, fragile and brittle. It has an open cuticle that both absorbs and releases moisture easily; it processes very quickly and can be easily damaged even further if extreme care is not taken when a chemical service is performed. Although overly porous hair absorbs product quickly, it is often dry as the open cuticle does not allow for product retention within the hair shaft. Chemical services performed on overly porous hair require less alkaline solutions with a lower pH, which will help to prevent further overprocessing.

You can check porosity on dry hair by taking a strand of several hairs from four different areas of the head (front hairline, temple, crown and nape). Slide the thumb and index finger of your other hand down each hair strand from end to scalp. If it is smooth, you have normal porosity. If your fingers move very fast up the hair strand and it feels exceptionally slick, dense and hard, you have low porosity. If your fingers "catch" going up the strand, feel like they are ruffling up the hair strand, or if the hair strand breaks, your hair is overly porous.

Unfortunately, porosity issues stemming from irreparable hair damage CANNOT be permanently corrected. Only time can truly mend damaged hair. You can, however, create a temporary fix until the damaged part grows out by "reconstructing" the hair shaft with protein treatments. Protein fills in any holes within the cortex (inner layer of the hair) and also helps to fill in the gaps exposed by a raised cuticle.

OK guys, I'm so discouraged at this point. So, every article I've read today says you can only cut the damaged hair off. What's the point of having BSL/MBL hair that sticks together and is considered damaged?

Don't get me wrong, my hair "looks" healthy and strong. Even my stylist says so. But this situation makes me feel as if I'm "faking the funk"...you know, perpetrating. Cuz up close, the strands are all jacked up! It just does not feel good. :nono:

I'm so ready to just cut this stuff and be through with it.

Last edited:

Shoediva

I too sustained the effects from hard water 9 mos ago. I moved from VA to FL in Sept. 09 Had no clue that water in FL was hard or the effect it could have on hair. I went about my regular wash/cond routine. Then I noticed in October 09 my hair was very thin. My 4a/b hair has always been THICK. I didnt realized my thinning hair came about due to hard water.

I started using Suave swimmers kids shampoo every week. It made a world of difference. I didnt really care for the suave but it worked. I have since switched to Nexxus Aloe Rid it doesnt have a drying effect.

I woudnt make a drastic decision to just cut your hair. Try a diffrent clarifying poo or get some Porosity Control to see if that can work for you. I know PC has worked wonders for folks with damage caused from over/under processed hair. I hope your stylist can help you get your hair back on track with drastic cutting.

GL

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Good Information SimplyHair thanks for posting this. I am battling overly porous hair from Overprocessing, Doubleprocessing and Poor Neutralization and Bad Chemical Services.:blush:

I began working on the Porosity issue as soon as I learned my hair was overly porous. I also began to keep my Protein/Moisture in Balance, while I worked on trying to rehabilitate my hair myself. I quit the Salon and began to take care/control of my own hair.

Those issues including severe Chemical Damage is what led me to LHCF in the first place.

I am trimming gradually and hopefully the measures that I am taking/have taken will help me with any future porosity problems.:yep:

Keep the Faith! Pray Over your Hair and Ask for Guidance.:hug2:

simplyhair

I too sustained the effects from hard water 9 mos ago. I moved from VA to FL in Sept. 09 Had no clue that water in FL was hard or the effect it could have on hair. I went about my regular wash/cond routine. Then I noticed in October 09 my hair was very thin. My 4a/b hair has always been THICK. I didnt realized my thinning hair came about due to hard water.

I woudnt make a drastic decision to just cut your hair. Try a diffrent clarifying poo or get some Porosity Control to see if that can work for you. I know PC has worked wonders for folks with damage caused from over/under processed hair. I hope your stylist can help you get your hair back on track with drastic cutting.

GL

I read on MalibuWellness.com that the calcium in hard water can choke the hair follicle, coats the scalp and cause breakage and possibly thinning hair.

I'll try all my options first to help ease my routine. I have PC but I've only used it prior to the water softener being installed. I'll try it again this week.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I read on MalibuWellness.com that the calcium in hard water can choke the hair follicle, coats the scalp and cause breakage and possibly thinning hair.

I'll try all my options first to help ease my routine. I have PC but I've only used it prior to the water softener being installed. I'll try it again this week.

You have to give it some time and make it part of your weekly regimen.:yep: I use it weekly regardless.

Or a Porosity Control Product. I also rotate with Nexxus Ensure ph balance of 3.0 and French Perm Stablizer Plus ph balance of 2.0.

After Every DC Treatment, I seal, close those cuticles.:yep:

simplyhair

Good Information SimplyHair thanks for posting this. I am battling overly porous hair from Overprocessing, Doubleprocessing and Poor Neutralization and Bad Chemical Services.:blush:

I began working on the Porosity issue as soon as I learned my hair was overly porous. I also began to keep my Protein/Moisture in Balance, while I worked on trying to rehabilitate my hair myself. I quit the Salon and began to take care/control of my own hair.

Those issues including severe Chemical Damage is what led me to LHCF in the first place.

I am trimming gradually and hopefully the measures that I am taking/have taken will help me with any future porosity problems.:yep:

Keep the Faith! Pray Over your Hair and Ask for Guidance.:hug2:

Your welcome IDareT'sHair! I am hoping it may help others who have suffered with clingy hair and can't put a finger as to why it is happening to them.

I applaud you for taking measures into your own hands. I tried to self relax in March and it was a :nono:. You bring up a good point though about overprocessing. I do not think my stylist is overprocessing my hair but I do believe she is not neutralizing my hair enough or even long enough for that matter.

Since self relaxing did not work for me, I will bring my own neut poo and have her apply and let it sit like Sistaslick suggested in an article. Then, I will only let her wet set my hair...no more heat passes at touch up time. OR, I'll do a Shtow number and just leave wet, and neut poo at home. :yep:

simplyhair

You have to give it some time and make it part of your weekly regimen.:yep: I use it weekly regardless.

Or a Porosity Control Product. I also rotate with Nexxus Ensure ph balance of 3.0 and French Perm Stablizer Plus ph balance of 2.0.

After Every DC Treatment, I seal, close those cuticles.:yep:

So, do you examine your hair strands when they fall out? I ask because I'm curious as to how yours feel. Are your strands smooth? Can you see anything on your strands?

Do you have the new Nexxus Ensure? I used to use that all the time but it was the old, grapefruit, peachy color. Or, do you use the new Color Ensure?

When do you use the PC Product? I notice when I use it after I DC, my hair is very stiff when I try to rinse it out. Perhaps, it will be different now I have the softener.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Your welcome IDareT'sHair! I am hoping it may help others who have suffered with clingy hair and can't put a finger as to why it is happening to them.

I applaud you for taking measures into your own hands. I tried to self relax in March and it was a :nono:. You bring up a good point though about overprocessing. I do not think my stylist is overprocessing my hair but I do believe she is not neutralizing my hair enough or even long enough for that matter.

Since self relaxing did not work for me, I will bring my own neut poo and have her apply and let it sit like Sistaslick suggested in an article. Then, I will only let her wet set my hair...no more heat passes at touch up time. OR, I'll do a Shtow number and just leave wet, and neut poo at home. :yep:

Even though mine wasn't hard water related and was chemically related (chemical shock), it can be very depressing and you can feel helpless (like what to do:perplexed)

But I believe you can get your hair back on track especially now that you have the water softener installed at your home. And you are actively researching and taking measures to correct it. When I first found out I had a porosity issue, I did the exact same thing: Researched everything I could about the 'damage' I had sustained. (Which again, led me here).:yep:

Do what you need to do, whether it's taking your own 'Poo or re-pooing when you get home.

My last relaxer, I had someone else do. I was a dismal failure at Self-Relaxing too.:nono:

So, I had her apply and then I did my mid-protein step, she neutralized (with my oversight of course) and then I applied a low ph balanced conditioner to be used after a chemical treatment and plastic cap & scarf, drove home and finished everything up.:blush:

simplyhair

Even though mine wasn't hard water related and was chemically related (chemical shock), it can be very depressing and you can feel helpless (like what to do:perplexed)

But I believe you can get your hair back on track especially now that you have the water softener installed at your home. And you are actively researching and taking measures to correct it. When I first found out I had a porosity issue, I did the exact same thing: Researched everything I could about the 'damage' I had sustained. (Which again, led me here).:yep:

Do what you need to do, whether it's taking your own 'Poo or re-pooing when you get home.

My last relaxer, I had someone else do. I was a dismal failure at Self-Relaxing too.:nono:

So, I had her apply and then I did my mid-protein step, she neutralized (with my oversight of course) and then I applied a low ph balanced conditioner to be used after a chemical treatment and plastic cap & scarf, drove home and finished everything up.:blush:

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I really needed it! :bighug:

I like your plan of action. It sounds like you are really making progress. That's what I have to do is reevaluate exactly what I want her to do.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
So, do you examine your hair strands when they fall out? I ask because I'm curious as to how yours feel. Are your strands smooth? Can you see anything on your strands?

Do you have the new Nexxus Ensure? I used to use that all the time but it was the old, grapefruit, peachy color. Or, do you use the new Color Ensure?

When do you use the PC Product? I notice when I use it after I DC, my hair is very stiff when I try to rinse it out. Perhaps, it will be different now I have the softener.

@1st bolded. This one.:yep: I've used it for years, but never really knew what it was for. Until I came here.:sad:

(And I was a weekly client at the Salon and never asked question about anything:wallbash:)

@2nd Bolded. I always DC with Heat, so my cuticle is wide open. I use the PC then to seal/close it as a Final Rinse. I follow the directions. I leave on for 30 seconds 1 minute whatever it says. Ensure is 3 minutes.

It does feel a little rough once you rinse it out, but it usually or should soften right up once you dry your hair.:yep:

simplyhair

@1st bolded. This one.:yep: I've used it for years, but never really knew what it was for. Until I came here.:sad:

(And I was a weekly client at the Salon and never asked question about anything:wallbash:)

@2nd Bolded. I always DC with Heat, so my cuticle is wide open. I use the PC then to seal/close it as a Final Rinse. I follow the directions. I leave on for 30 seconds 1 minute whatever it says. Ensure is 3 minutes.

It does feel a little rough once you rinse it out, but it usually or should soften right up once you dry your hair.:yep:

Did you recently buy the old Ensure? Where did you get it from?

You know what, I notice the PC acts stiff when I use it after the GVP Nexxus Humectress. It didn't do that before with my other conditioners. I'll have to experiment and see how it responds each time.

Platinum

I'msorry to hear about the condition of your hair. I noticed that you mentioned using a Clarifying shampoo but have you tried using a CHELATING poo? I live in Fla (hard water area) and I also travel all of the country. My hair is being exposed to hard water every time I wash. Using a chelating poo helps to remove products build-up from my hair and the mineral deposits that are being left behind from the hard water. I use a chelating shampoo from Mizani (I purchased this from the BSS during my relaxer days $19.99 for a liter bottle). I use it every 2-3 weeks. Also, you can try ORS Creamy Aloe poo as well.

Co-signing with I Dare's post about PC.

simplyhair

I'msorry to hear about the condition of your hair. I noticed that you mentioned using a Clarifying shampoo but have you tried using a CHELATING poo? I live in Fla (hard water area) and I also travel all of the country. My hair is being exposed to hard water every time I wash. Using a chelating poo helps to remove products build-up from my hair and the mineral deposits that are being left behind from the hard water. I use a chelating shampoo from Mizani (I purchased this from the BSS during my relaxer days $19.99 for a liter bottle). I use it every 2-3 weeks. Also, you can try ORS Creamy Aloe poo as well.

I always use those words interchangebly (sp?). I used Elucence Volume Poo. Well, the back of the bottle says it has chelating ingredients. Does that count?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Excellent Point.:yep: @bolded. Great Call Platinum!

And Especially if you are using a No-Lye Relaxer too!:yep:

Platinum

I always use those words interchangebly (sp?). I used Elucence Volume Poo. Well, the back of the bottle says it has chelating ingredients. Does that count?

I'm not sure about the Elucence poo because I've never tried it. Hopefully some of the other ladies can answer that. I'm sure if it has chelating ingredients, it should work. How often are you using it?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Did you recently buy the old Ensure? Where did you get it from?
You know what, I notice the PC acts stiff when I use it after the GVP Nexxus Humectress. It didn't do that before with my other conditioners. I'll have to experiment and see how it responds each time.

I got a good deal on 6 Tubes of the 'old' packaging at an overstocked place.:grin:

Sometimes you can find it at TJ Maxx or Marshall's too.:yep:

JustSimplyTish

That's a nice shower filter :yep:. I'm hoping that I will be able to see a difference with the softener.

I think you will see a major difference ...the water had my hair like straw before...and you could scratch a match on my legs they looked and felt like tree bark:sad:

I hope you get your hair back to normal without having to cut it all

simplyhair

I think you will see a major difference ...the water had my hair like straw before...and you could scratch a match on my legs they looked and felt like tree bark:sad:

I hope you get your hair back to normal without having to cut it all

:lachen: My legs are 10x's worse than yours with the cold and windy weather here in Chicago.