HELP!! Dry hair!! Is my hair Overly Porous or Not??

Akemi

I'm confused. :perplexed: My hair seems to have characteristics of both overly porous and low porosity hair. I would just say that my hair has normal porosity if it weren't for the fact that my hair retains no moisture and never seems truly moisturized.

I've read SistaSlick's and many other articles on porosity and I did the porosity test. I took 2 strands of hair and put them in a jar of water. After 2 minutes they were still floating. I pushed one down and it floated back up. After a few minutes I pushed them down and they sinked, only to float back up after a while. That would mean that my hair las low porosity, right??

Descriptions I've read about hair that has low porosity say that low porosity hair is resistant to chemical processes and color. However, when I had a relaxer, I never had trouble getting it to process, and it would come out quite straight.

Overly Porous hair is said to dry very quickly (in about an hour), but my hair takes a few hours to a whole day to dry.

Overly Porous hair is said to get wet/ absorb water quickly, and my hair absorbs water neither quickly or slowly.

Overly Porous hair feels rough when you run your fingers up and down a strand, but my hair feels smooth.

At first I thought my hair was overly porous, so I tried using Roux Porosity Control conditioner and ACV rinses, but my hair still wouldn't retain moisture.

Sistaslick recommended doing protein treatments for porous hair so I've tried using Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 Minute, and en egg with mayo (not all at the same time, of course) and saw no results -- negative or positive.

When my hair is wet, it feels smooth and slippery, but once it dries, it feels very dry and not brittle, but smooth.

No conditioner ever seems to moisturize my hair. They never seem to penetrate my hair strands.

Is my hair overly porous?? Why can't I retain moisture?? Any recommendations??

tuffCOOKiE

The same thing happens to me actually.. I LITERALLY cannot answer your question because I'm going MAD trying to figure out the answer to my question..

I created a thread about this very issue. I'll try to bump it for you.

I have relaxed hair and I'm transitioning.. maybe Denise 11 is right, maybe that's just how it is..

Akemi

The same thing happens to me actually.. I LITERALLY cannot answer your question because I'm going MAD trying to figure out the answer to my question..

I created a thread about this very issue. I'll try to bump it for you.

I have relaxed hair and I'm transitioning.. maybe Denise 11 is right, maybe that's just how it is..

It's strange, right?? :wallbash:

ETA: Hey, I just looked at your profile to see if you had a Fotki or something, and I see that you're from Haiti. I'm Haitian too! Maybe it's the food!! :giggle:

Last edited:

tgrowe

Hey veggieburger,
I started a thread about a week ago about my hair being soft when wet but dull and stiff when dry. A few suggestions were given to me that may help you. Do you use products that contain "cones"? If so cone-free products may help you especially if you have natural tresses. And Sareca asked me whether or not I had hard water. I believe she had some issues in the past with her hair due to hard water. Glad she mentioned it because I DO have hard water. I am seriously considering purchasing a water softner/filter.
Just a thought. HTH

Amerie123

I really wish I can tell you, but I honestly don't have the answer. I hope that an expert chimes in soon. But I would have to say that your porosity level seems very normal and that you may just have coarse hair.

newflowers

I'm not an expert but I think you should consider your water and your products. You can buy a shower filter, which is not as good as a whole house water softener, to use when you wash your hair. A chealating shampoo will help remove the minerals from your hair. I would also suggest reading the ingredients list of your products. As someone mentioned, too many ingredients that end with cone or if those are at the top of the list means your hair is being coated with these and needs clarifying.

You don't say what deep conditioner and regular conditioner you use - make sure it is a good quality.

Dposh167

what conditioners are you using?

If ur strands didn't sink...and ur cuticles feel smooth...and ur not resisting a relaxer....then my mind tells me it may be your conditioners of choice

Brown Sugar 86

Recently, I beem having the same problem which is weird because Olive Oil ORS has worked for me in the past. I think the problem is recently I've made some pretty dumb deciscions with my hair. I did a aphogee treatment then right after put a relaxer in. When I did this my hair was like sandpaper. It's just now starting to get a little better b/c I'm doing nothing to it, I mean no heat, chemicals.. just regular shampoo, deep-conditioner and air drying. Hope this helps.

virtuenow

Akemi did you ever find a solution? Your said you couldn't find conditioner that moisturizes your hair...Did you ever find something? If not, I may have some alternative suggestions

Akemi

@Akemi did you ever find a solution? Your said you couldn't find conditioner that moisturizes your hair...Did you ever find something? If not, I may have some alternative suggestions

virtuenow Yes. I did finally find a solution. My hair did have a porosity problem. I also learned that my hair is fine, and began incorporating protein to my regimen-- my hair can never get enough protein.

I started co-washing more often last summer using Redken conditioners, which added moisture. I also began using Joico products: K-Pak Reconstructor, Intense Hydrator, and my favorite -- the Moisture Recovery Balm. Joico products have the perfect combination of moisture and protein for me, and the pH of their products helped tremendously with porosity.

After correcting the pH of my hair and using protein, conditioners now work on my hair and my hair retains moisture. I guess it all had to do with my hair's cuticles not being sealed.

My hair has improved greatly and I've been retaining a lot more length.

But, what suggestions did you have?? I'm always open to trying something new. :grin:

virtuenow

Akemi That's awesome, it sounds like you have some good products there. I rarely come across others who have the same issueas me where hair is dry even when its wet and conditioners don't take. This is something I posted in another thread, and its mostly right on track with your solution:

I have high porosity and found that balancing moisture and protein is the best way to help with porosity issues. I got that tip more recently in anther thread and put it to action. Before, I tried the quick fix of acv rinses, it felt great at first- my cuticles were tight; but it eventually dried my hair out further-- then came the breakage. I tried the roux pc, and that did nothing.

Now I do oil rinses w/ castor oil http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965 and deep condition/co-wash w/Aubrey Organics GPB Moisture Protein balancing conditioner; and removed drying products from my hair routine such as shampoo. I added aloe vera juice into my routine as a pre-poo (Chicoro's mix http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482 ) and the aloe vera juice in a leave in is another awesome treat (Kimmaytubes leave in )

Edited to add: I found the post on how to end porosity issues w/ moisture/protein balance: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=2903635&postcount=352

Now I will try and find the sisterclick post for you!