Porous Ends?

tuffCOOKiE

Hello :)

Some of you know that I am battling dryness. Well, there's been no progress on that but, I did want to ask:

The last 5 inches of my hair (I just got a 3 in hair cut) dries waaaayyy faster than the first 7 inches. Does this mean I have porous ends? I use Roux porosity control intermittently but, nothing. Does that mean these hairs are damaged? Porous? Or does it mean that my roots are over processed? They are smoother and thinner than my ends..

Please give some insight, thank you

tuffCOOKiE said:
Hello :)

Some of you know that I am battling dryness. Well, there's been no progress on that but, I did want to ask:

The last 5 inches of my hair (I just got a 3 in hair cut) dries waaaayyy faster than the first 7 inches. Does this mean I have porous ends? I use Roux porosity control intermittently but, nothing. Does that mean these hairs are damaged? Porous? Or does it mean that my roots are over processed? They are smoother and thinner than my ends..

Please give some insight, thank you

Wow, I can't believe that there is someone out there with the same problem as me:eek:

My hair is the same exact way. I don't know if you're overprocessed, but I'm underprocessed, but refuse to do a corrective relaxer (at least not yet).

How I deal with it is simple for me. If I'm baggying, it always stays moist. Spray the hair with water, add some oil or grease on the ends and no problems. It just needs to dry in a twist or roller so you won't see frizz.

I use KeraCare shampoo and my ends just love it. When I roller set my hair, I don't have problems. If you're air drying, then this may be the reason why you're hair is like this. Everything else (heat) or setting, will keep the hair straight and moisturized. Have you tried coconut creme oil? I've been using this and love it. Hair serums are great also. I'm going to be trying the Jamaican Black Castor Oil tomorrow to see how this works out also.

HTH:)

Wow, that was really helpful. I think from now on I'll have my stylist only leave the relaxer in for 80% of the time.

Yes, its only when I airdry. My ends just dry in 5 min and the rest takes almost a day! When I rollerset I do not have this problem at all.

This coconut oil creame, who makes it and where can I get some?

tuffCOOKiE said:
Wow, that was really helpful. I think from now on I'll have my stylist only leave the relaxer in for 80% of the time.

Yes, its only when I airdry. My ends just dry in 5 min and the rest takes almost a day! When I rollerset I do not have this problem at all.

This coconut oil creame, who makes it and where can I get some?

Make sure your stylist uses a mild if she re-applying to your ends. I buy my virgin coconut creme butter from http://www.africansheabutter.com under the shop our products, bulk section, then african oils & butter.

HTH:)

bump.. so many years later and I still have this problem. This time I'm 100% naturaland I still have brittle ends that I believe is a porosity problem. I tried Roux porosity control with no avail as well as:

aloe vera to the ends
my hair hates shea butter
oil rinsing gives me slip but it doesn't last past say 3

Any suggestions?

BKT really helps me with porous hair. It's comical how much. Like that's all I need to keep my hair from drying out so much. Like that's what is missing from my hair.

Harina, the BKT helped your ends how was this done

I use chocolate soft-liss and do it myself. This is the 2nd time I've done it. This one in particular is formaldehyde-free. It basically fills in your hair with protein and strengthens it and therefore your ends. As long as you use sodium-chloride (salt) free products, your hair will remain that way for a couple of months to 5, 6 months depending on how frequently you wash, what you do with your hair, etc.

For people with wavier, looser curled hair, it tends to straighten the hair. But for people with kinkier natural hair, it tends to only slightly loosen the hair pattern but it still strengthens the hair. I don't know about people with relaxers. And I believe the treatment can be repeated every 1 1/2 months or so. Not sure if my hair will get even looser with this sort of schedule as I only did it the one time in the past.

Usually I will have a million broken hairs but with this I only get a few and then long strands of shed hair.

I'm not going to lie, it is a process. It is not difficult per se but if you have dense, fine hair like myself, it will take a bit of time because you have to make sure each strand of your hair is covered with the product then repeatedly pass a flat iron over fairly small sections of hair.

Last edited:
I have had this issue as well. The only thing that helped me was doing an ACV rinse. However, for me I use my rinse before I shampoo. So, I basically use it as a pre poo. I use a ratio of 1/3 cup ACV in a 16oz water bottle, fill the bottle with water and pour over my hair and scalp. I allow it to sit for a few minutes and then proceed with my regimen. It has helped alot with my porosity issues and dry ends. HTH.

I use to have problems retaining length becuase of my porous ends. While watching youtube videos I stumbled across my hair twin Nalia1908. In addition to sealing with a heavy butter, she also used protein more often. Specifically Aphogee's Green Tea Reconstructor spray. This has HANDS DOWN saved my hair and helped with retention. I use it after every wash/condition before applying my leave-in and seal with organic coconut oil or my shea butter mixture. The bottle even mentions that it's great for porous hair, something about the protien binding to the hair allowing moisture to stay in. Or something like that, I don't have the bottle with me.

HTH

ETA: I also use it sparingly during the week. About 1-2x a week regardless of how my hair is styled.

Last edited:
McQuay30: This is done on dry hair. For me the results were instant. My hair felt softer, detangled and I achieved better results from my conditioners.

tuffCOOKiE have you tried heavy sealing your ends or the loc method?
southerncitygirl
I have tried the LOC method but for my m/s routine. I use infusium 23 or water, then africa's best oil and seal with QB AOHC. It's smooth until it dries. When it's dried it's hard.

What I have been trying recently is oil "rinsing". After may shampoo/DC routine, while I'm in the shower, I rub my hair down with oil. I just rub it in my palms then run it down the shaft of the hair. It helps with detangling.

BKT really helps me with porous hair. It's comical how much. Like that's all I need to keep my hair from drying out so much. Like that's what is missing from my hair.

Harina: I did BKT but not as you described. Mine def had formaldehyde (Marcia Teixtiera) and definitely caused some issues for me - remarkably not dryness though. I had heavy heavy shedding and breakage after not reapplying. Idk if it was from the heat or from the treatment but I didn't like it. The other thing is I moved to Johannesburg and thought that I would really like it if I didn't have to "depend" on one product for the rest of my life.
I am open to try again, though. I don't have dense hair so perhaps I should try this at home... on a tiny piece of hair..

Where do you order from?

I use to have problems retaining length becuase of my porous ends. While watching youtube videos I stumbled across my hair twin Nalia1908. In addition to sealing with a heavy butter, she also used protein more often. Specifically Aphogee's Green Tea Reconstructor spray. This has HANDS DOWN saved my hair and helped with retention. I use it after every wash/condition before applying my leave-in and seal with organic coconut oil or my shea butter mixture. The bottle even mentions that it's great for porous hair, something about the protien binding to the hair allowing moisture to stay in. Or something like that, I don't have the bottle with me.

HTH

ETA: I also use it sparingly during the week. About 1-2x a week regardless of how my hair is styled.

Pamsc Are you relaxed? My sister swore by this when relaxed but she has different hair than me (fine and silky) so I never bothered. Perhaps this can be my "L" in the LOC method.

McQuay30: This is done on dry hair. For me the results were instant. My hair felt softer, detangled and I achieved better results from my conditioners.

klsjackson is that so! I wonder why that is! I would imagine that whatever products you use would negate or change the ph of the ACV. Honestly, I don't care the science. I'll try it and let you know!

is that so! I wonder why that is! I would imagine that whatever products you use would negate or change the ph of the ACV. Honestly, I don't care the science. I'll try it and let you know!

@tuffCOOKiE: I thought the same thing! I got the process from a YouTube video. If I find the link or the YouTuber's name I will post it for you. I tried doing an ACV rinse after shampooing and after conditioning and both ways left my hair dried out, hard, crunchy and tangled, no matter how diluted the ACV rinse was. I decided to give it a try as a rinse on dry hair and it works. Go figure!!! :spinning:

Last edited:
@southerncitygirl
I have tried the LOC method but for my m/s routine. I use infusium 23 or water, then africa's best oil and seal with QB AOHC. It's smooth until it dries. When it's dried it's hard.

What I have been trying recently is oil "rinsing". After may shampoo/DC routine, while I'm in the shower, I rub my hair down with oil. I just rub it in my palms then run it down the shaft of the hair. It helps with detangling.

@Harina: I did BKT but not as you described. Mine def had formaldehyde (Marcia Teixtiera) and definitely caused some issues for me - remarkably not dryness though. I had heavy heavy shedding and breakage after not reapplying. Idk if it was from the heat or from the treatment but I didn't like it. The other thing is I moved to Johannesburg and thought that I would really like it if I didn't have to "depend" on one product for the rest of my life.
I am open to try again, though. I don't have dense hair so perhaps I should try this at home... on a tiny piece of hair..

Where do you order from?

@Pamsc Are you relaxed? My sister swore by this when relaxed but she has different hair than me (fine and silky) so I never bothered. Perhaps this can be my "L" in the LOC method.

@klsjackson is that so! I wonder why that is! I would imagine that whatever products you use would negate or change the ph of the ACV. Honestly, I don't care the science. I'll try it and let you know!

I'm au natural :yep: I also use it as the "L" in the LOC method along with Cantu for Naturals Coconut spray moisturizer.

ETA: If I was to hair type my hair is 4B...pretty much exactly like Nalia1908 on youtube except I don't have alopecia.

I am normal to high porosity (My ends are porous) and what has helped me the most is....

1. Skipping out on cool water rinses.
2. ACV rinses
3. Heavy Sealing
4. Using protein weekly, but only on my ends

The other thing is I moved to Johannesburg and thought that I would really like it if I didn't have to "depend" on one product for the rest of my life.

Where do you order from?

I ordered from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Softliss-Br...5898?pt=US_Hair_Care&var=&hash=item461695a25a

Well, for me I'm not planning on continuing this for the rest of my life, just a couple of years, as I am going to lock in the future, which is clearly where my hair is supposed to be. I just don't want to do it right now.

Back