My hair is growing.... UP and OUT instead of down!

pinkchocolatedaisy

:ohwell: I've noticed a marked change in my hair... it's growing all right. Growing up and out!!! What's up with that???? I love the thickness, but I want the growth to show in length, going down!!! Sometimes, I think of going back to relaxing....... or perhaps texlaxing. :drunk::wallbash:

ajargon02

:ohwell: I've noticed a marked change in my hair... it's growing all right. Growing up and out!!! What's up with that???? I love the thickness, but I want the growth to show in length, going down!!! Sometimes, I think of going back to relaxing....... or perhaps texlaxing. :drunk::wallbash:

Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of being natural!! :grin::lachen: I can understand your frustration and love of your hair!! We all have that, but hey it comes w/ the territory. When your hair gets longer it will still do the same, but you will show hang time when you twist, braid or when it's wet. You can always band your hair to stretch, or set it on magnetic rollers to dry when it's wet, so that once it does dry, it will show a little length. Hth.

Cassandra1975

I don't know too many 4a/4b's whose hair grows down in it's natural state...in fact, when mine was longer, it seemed to me all it did was shrink up more! :wallbash: I finally realized it wasn't going to grow down, so I started doing twists/twist outs to show the length. You would need something to heavy to weigh it down...sorry I don't have any suggestions, though.

hrtbndr21

I don't have hangy hair either, it stays down a little more w/ length but nothing major. Just work w/ it. Try playing around w/ different products and techniques, you might get a little more hang time. But if your hairs tendency is to reach for the stars there's no stopping it.

~~HoneyComb~~

When I went natural I wished that my hair would grow up and out, but after 5" it started hanging and I was a little disappointed, but I love my hair, and you too will learn to love the uniqueness and beauty of yours :yep:.

LadyKaypnyc

I'm 4a, and it takes some serious skillz (if I may say so myself:lachen:) to get my hair to hang. Even then, I still have major shrinkage. Comes with the territory:yep:

hopeful

My hair is hanging more with length and I miss the up and out--I can't even get the style in my avatar anymore.

Forever in Bloom

So does mine and I love it!! It had to grow on me (no pun intended). It kind of goes with the natural territory. Gravity is not a friend of ours my dear. But hey, at least it's growing right? :yep:

I put mine in twists on Sunday and just took them out today 'cause I missed the volume :drunk: Hope you grow to love it!

CandacyEliz

This is my worry about completing the natural journey. My hair is naturally THICK and curly- relaxer or not. Even with a relaxer my hair retains a lot of its texture, but I am considering giving my natural hair a chance for a while (I'm 3 months post)... I already have a big ol head and I'm afraid of looking like a bobble head

TCT

i used to have this and complain about it alot. now i dont have the growing up and out thing unless im wetting my hair a whole lot(washing ect) other than that my hair is trained to stay down cause i wear a scarf every day, soooooo since this my hair hasnt been as springy as it once was known to be. but now....................................... i miss up and out.

Last edited:

Soliel185

Yeeeeah that's just a fact of life when it comes to some hair types. My hair started to flop alittle, but that was about it. I've finally accepted that no matter how long my hair gets it's never going to grow "down" :grin:

anon123

So does mine and I love it!! It had to grow on me (no pun intended). It kind of goes with the natural territory. Gravity is not a friend of ours my dear. But hey, at least it's growing right? :yep:

I put mine in twists on Sunday and just took them out today 'cause I missed the volume :drunk: Hope you grow to love it!

I know, right? I have my hair in twists now and I'm like "what is with this skinny hanging hair? I want my poof!" Must . . . resist! I think you will come to love the bigness of your hair. Well, I hope so.

glamazon386

I'm 4a, and it takes some serious skillz (if I may say so myself:lachen:) to get my hair to hang. Even then, I still have major shrinkage. Comes with the territory:yep:

Same here... My hair only hangs like around the perimeter. The rest goes up and out unless I add products. It comes with the territory.

cmesweet

I didn't expect my hair to grow down. but I had gotten a perm late in life so I knew what my hair was like. The fact that is grows up and out makes me love it more.