WHAT U THINK?

• Shedding

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Breakage

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

blackpearl81

Is this shedding or breakage?

I've learned so much since joining LHCF and my hair seems so much healthier, but I can't seem to figure out where all the hair in my sink, clothes, and kitchen floor is coming from! The pics in my avi and siggy are recent and as you can see, my ends look pretty healthy (at least I think so, correct me if I'm wrong)...I've gone back and forth from SL to BSL in the last few years and I know this has to do with those dog on hairs falling everywhere and curbing my retention! I'm getting very discouraged and I'm starting to think that I'll never get past SL:nono:...Here's my reggie:

~~~Shampoo 1x/week wth Redken Amino Pon Gentle Poo
~~~Deep condition after each shampoo using Garnier Fructis DC, Biolage Conditioning Balm (w/heating cap), or Lustersilk Cholesterol w/Shea Butter and Mango
~~~Leave-in--Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner (light protein) AND Suave Humectant
~~~Co-wash once a week, currently using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Suave Humectant
~~~Moisturize nightly with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch (if wearing hair out) or Hawaiin Silky 14-in-1(if bunning)
~~~Seal w/Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum, vatika oil, or carrot oil
~~~Protein treatment every other week with ORS Replenishing Pack or Aubrey Organics GBP....I do a heavy protein every six weeks with egg and evoo mixture.
I also clarify 1x/month with Nexxus Aloe Rid

I also alternate bunning one week and flat-iron/wrap another week. I only use a blowdryer once a month and i ALWAYS use a heat protectant when applying any direct heat to my hair (Silk Elements Olive oil heat protectant).

The hair strands that are coming out aren't short little pieces characteristic of breakage....they are about 3-4 inches long and usually about 8 strands per wash (and 3-4 strands each time I comb)....AND they don't have white bulbs on the ends...Could I just b shedding and does shedded (is that even a word?) hair always have to have a white bulb at the end? I'm so confused....if I see one more strand fall I'm gonna cry:sad: Please help

TIA!

Last edited:

msa

The hair strands that are coming out aren't short little pieces characteristic of breakage....they are about 3-4 inches long and usually about 8 strands per wash (and 3-4 strands each time I comb) Could I just b shedding and does shedded (is that even a word?) hair always have to have a white bulb at the end? I'm so confused....if I see one more strand fall I'm gonna cry:sad: Please help

TIA!

Well does the hair that's coming out have a bulb on the end? You didn't say whether it did or didn't. Sometimes, it's really hard to see the bulb because it can be very small.

Also, the average person has 100,000 hairs on their head. If you are seeing 8 strands per wash and 3-4 every time you comb, you really aren't missing that much hair.

Now if it's breakage, that's a different issue. But you have to understand, no one has zero breakage. It's impossible. If you manipulate your hair at all (comb, wash, braid, etc) some strands are going to get broken. It's really not that big of a deal IMO.

Last edited:

blackpearl81

*exhales* Thank you msa....I just didn't know if this was normal and if I should see hair everytime I combed....sorry, the hair that I see doesn't have white bulbs...

msa

*exhales* Thank you msa....I just didn't know if this was normal and if I should see hair everytime I combed....sorry, the hair that I see doesn't have white bulbs...

Ok, it doesn't have white bulbs, so it's probably breakage. You said it's kind of long though so it could be breakage occurring at the line of demarcation if you're relaxed. That could be caused by too much manipulation, a lack of protein/moisture, not being gentle with the area, or a combination of all three.

Here's the thing, shedding occurs all the time, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. So yes, you are going to see hair coming out either when you comb or find it places (shower/car/floor) because it comes out on its own. And yes, breakage is going to happen no matter what you do.

Just check your regimen and see if there's anything that you feel you need to change. If you feel your regimen is solid and you're treating your hair pretty well, then good. If you think what you are seeing is abnormal for you and there are places you could tighten your regimen up, then do that.

newflowers

It certainly sounds like breakage; however, it is possible that you didn't notice the bulb - sometimes it can be small. Even though this sounds like a mere tiny bit of breakage, given that the length of the hairs are pretty much the same, you should check to see what's going on at the part of your hair.