My hair is so lifeless no body and no volume? Help!

mami2010

In the past before I started dyeing my hair and putting in relaxers so much I had lots of volume and body. But, now my hair is so lifeless. How do I gain my body back? What products should I use to get body and what techniques should I use?

LushLox

A few things:-

Stretch your relaxer 3 months plus
Rollerset your hair
Use volumising shampoo and conditioner
Try and minimise the heat usage

mischka

shrinkage.
as a first approach, have you considered no longer using the products that have made your hair lifeless?

mami2010

as a first approach, have you considered no longer using the products that have made your hair lifeless?

Since about November 2010 I decided to start a healthy hair journey. I will no longer be using permanent hair dye. I use to blonde my hair alot. So that is out. I am also air drying now instead of blow drying. Stretching my relaxers may be something I need to work on.

janda

From your siggie, it looks like you may have too much product in your hair and it's weighing it down. Try a clarifying shampoo and a light conditioner on your ends only if you are planning to wear your hair out.

virtuenow

the relaxer may be eating away your hair and/or leaving it limp/lifeless. You should do a long stretch and see what your texture is like. Try out some products that are for strength, restructuring, and moisture.

Flawlis1

Like another member mentioned, from the photos you provided it looks as if your hair has too much product in it. Using too much oils/serums, and also not rinsing your hair enough after conditioning will cause your hair to fall flat and also look dull. I started using Organic apple cider vinegar in my hair about a month ago, and my hair doesn't feel coated with product like it use to. I wash and condition my hair as usual..... and after I rinse out the conditioner I pour the "ACV" which I mix with distilled water in my hair and let it sit for about 4 minutes before I rinse it out. I put in my leave in and argan oil, wrap it wet and let it dry overnight, then I flat iron the next day. My hair bounces and moves with my every step. :grin:

Beverly Ann Properties

Make sure you check your moisture and protein balance. I also had lifeless hair because I over moisturized my hair and didn't pay attention to my protein balance.

virtuenow

be careful w/the acv, it works for some (maybe many), but when your hair is already weak-- it tends to dry it out. I'm speaking from experience.

Last edited:

cornaline

For me increasing my protein has turned my hair round (megateck or using the 17 mn miracle treatment from Joico). That and stetching mi relaxers like someone said to 3 months or plus has made such a difference, in terms of body and thickness to my hair ! HTH

krissyprissy

What brand and strength of relaxer are you using? If your relaxer is too strong it can cause the hair to be weak and limp.

mami2010

the relaxer may be eating away your hair and/or leaving it limp/lifeless. You should do a long stretch and see what your texture is like. Try out some products that are for strength, restructuring, and moisture.

Ok, I just found me a natural hair dresser. She will help me stretch until December. Thanks!

mami2010

From your siggie, it looks like you may have too much product in your hair and it's weighing it down. Try a clarifying shampoo and a light conditioner on your ends only if you are planning to wear your hair out.

Ok I will try...I hardly ever clarify. Only when I get a relaxer I would clarify. Thanks!

mami2010

What brand and strength of relaxer are you using? If your relaxer is too strong it can cause the hair to be weak and limp.

I use organic root stimulator (regular) since 2010. Before I use to use soft and beautiful (regular). Ummm, you got me thinking about this, every since I been using organic root stimulator relaxer my hair has gone downhill. With that being said I should go back to soft and beautiful. But I plan or stretching for the rest of this year.

mami2010

Thanks ladies so much for your suggestions. I will keep you posted about gaining my life back into my hair. Today I started with clarifying, DC, roller set, then wrap.

LushLox

I use organic root stimulator (regular) since 2010. Before I use to use soft and beautiful (regular). Ummm, you got me thinking about this, every since I been using organic root stimulator relaxer my hair has gone downhill. With that being said I should go back to soft and beautiful. But I plan or stretching for the rest of this year.

Have you ever done such a long stretch before? If not, please take time to read the number of threads here on stretching as long stretches can have detrimental effects if you don't use the necessary methods to care for your hair. It is likely that you will need to employ different techniques in order to maintain hair that is deep in a stretch as opposed to hair that is six weeks post.

mami2010

Have you ever done such a long stretch before? If not, please take time to read the number of threads here on stretching as long stretches can have detrimental effects if you don't use the necessary methods to care for your hair. It is likely that you will need to employ different techniques in order to maintain hair that is deep in a stretch as opposed to hair that is six weeks post.

I have never done a stretch so long before. The longest I have done is 6 months but that was with micro braids. I plan on doing it with wigs and sew ins this time. Okay, I will read up on it more.

hairmaster

Have you done a moister and porosity test. After combing hair take a strand of hair and pull from each end and see if stretch? Then place strand in glass of water see if it floats or sink?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I used to relax, permanent dyes reeked havoc on my hair. Since you said you dyed it blond in the past, I think that may have done the same to your hair. The fact that you use a relaxer and permanent color is asking for trouble because you are double processing your hair. If you like to color and relax, perhaps it is best to use a semi or demi- permanent color. You still have to be up on your moisture levels while doing this.My hair hates permanent dye even as a natural. It's just too drying for me.:nono: Other factors can cause the look of lifeless hair. I hope you find the answer you seek.

mami2010

I have chopped all my split ends off (3 inches) and now my hair is finally back to life. I have so much bounce and softness. I was neck length close to shoulder length, but now im back to ear length but my hair is so much healthier now. I can gain back those 3 inches by januanry 2012.

hothair

I know people are scared of protein but incorporate some protein in your hair esp since its been coloured and relaxed. I do the hard aphogee every 6-8 weeks and a milder or mix every other week. It really helps give my hair body

melissa-bee

I agree with the first post but don't use volumising shampoo and conditioner, apparently it is just another name for clarifying shampoo. I mean after all, there are only a few main types of shampoos and they are just marketed in different ways.

mami2010

Yes I now have the aphogee products in stock. I so love them. I did a 2 step protein treatment about 3 weeks ago and it went well. I also have the 2 min i use once a week. Thanks to this board i think im getting back on track. My Long term goal is MBL. But for now just focusing on thickness and healthiness length can always come later.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

achangedlife

You can also try switching ur relaxer to mild or not leaving the regular strength relaxer in as long so that ur hair doesn't become bone straight

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Use a semi or demi color with relaxers. A permanent color could reek havoc on your hair. Also, co washing helps replenish moisture and can help aid the scalp as well.