My Hair is Sticking in My Flatiron, Making Me Nervous

Faith

My Hair is Sticking to My Flatiron, Making Me Nervous

Hey Ladies,

I have a question. Not sure if it's the flatiron or if it's the products I have in my hair before I flatironed.

Yesterday I decided to take a length shot I took a couple braids out and detangled, rinsed and dried the hair. I then used SMB to protect it before I flatironed using my ceramic flatiron and at one point my hair got caught. I flatironed on 195C. I was slidding the iron down and I noticed I couldn't slide it with ease so I opened up the flatiron and there was a broken hair where it got "caught up". It was almost like the hair was sticking to the plate. I noticed this happening a couple months ago but now I'm wondering if it could be a situation brewing. I think it was the reason there was the broken hair.

So is it my flatiron or the SMB makes it harder on some flatirons?

If it's the flatiron I'm thinking of getting a titanium one like babyliss...I would hope that will be better.

Last edited:

Faith

Bumping...help a girl out. Ditch the flatiron or the hair product?? Or is it nothing to worry about?

unalteredone

what kind of flat iron is it? Maybe you need to clean it. it could have residue on it that is making your hair stick. i think folica.com sells flat iron cleaner.

audacity.

is the iron dirty? (clean it with a brillo pad/steel wool and water while it's hot)

is your hair dirty? (clarify your hair to be sure prior to ironing it)

is the iron too hot? (turn down the heat :))

:perplexed:

Faith

It's a salon brand (Giesel) cost a pretty penny too. I wipe it down after each use, to the naked eye it looks very clean...maybe that's not enough.

Iron looks clean
Hair was clean
Maybe iron was too hot..hmm..195C is only 383F though
Hmmm...

Thanks ladies

Last edited:

PreciousPearl

I flat iron my dd's hair weekly with SMB and have never had that problem. SMB instructions even tell you to set your iron at 400. I set my iron at 325 - 350.

that_1_grrrl

I am not sure, but I thought I would add that when I went to buy a flat iron today, I noticed that a lot of flat irons advertise the fact that hair doesn't stick to their plates (which implied that other flat irons have/had that problem). So, it may just be the iron. I would try cleaning it real well, and if the problem continues, you may have to buy a new iron.

lina

After reading all of the posts, I was thinking that either the flat iron wasn't clean or actually the heat might have been too low, that's why the hair got caught instead ironed straight. I usually flat iron on 200 something. Just my thought, I could be wrong.