My hair is turning itself into dreadlocks!

alarafan

Hello -'newbie' here. I have tried to hold out from getting a relaxer for 10 weeks now. The thing is the natural hair (4c) is so thick it is tangling and it seems like mini dreadlocks are growing -when I try and use a fine tooth comb on it then the relaxed hair breaks. I am starting a regimen of DC and all that so hopefully it will improve when it is not so dry and has more moisture, but I have no idea where I am going wrong.

I am on amazon right now buying the 'hair story & science of black hair'. I will buy those instead of a bunch of products.

ms.blue

Try keeping your hair stretched by braiding or twisting also using a small tooth comb will cause damage by ripping your hair out. Another trick is to apply oil to the hair and comb (wide tooth) since it would add slip to the hair sttrands allowing to comb easier.

carameldimples

What ms.blue said, also try protective styling and low manipulation. Only comb it on wash days after you deep conditioned then bun it up, if growth and retention is your objective. And please no more fine tooth combs :) HHG/J (Happy Hair Growing/Journey)

abcd09

Mine does the same thing. You MUST keep it stretched when you are going a long time between relaxers. The longest I can go is 12 weeks, but 10 should be my limit due to dreding. Apple cider vinegar rinses after DCing helps too. Comb with running water.