Nice & Neat Dreadlocks

planodiva

Ladies,

I need your help. Tried to do a search to no avail. Bare with me.

My friend would like me to start twisting his dreadlocks for him and I agreed to but I don't know the process. Besides twisting at the roots what do I do?

Right now his dreads are kinda fuzzy and really thick and after about three days from the salon they look unkept. What is the best way to maintain his dreadlocks as some peoples hair looks very nice and neat in their dreadlocks and this is the look he wants to achieve.

What are some tips you can give me?

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!!!

firecracker

Hey they are no longer called Dreadlocks they are called "Locs":) .
My coworker has some beautiful not to thick locs that are really pretty and shiny. I will ask her what she does.

mommylioness

When I had locks, my routine was to wash my hair weekly with Aubrey Organics Island Naturals shampoo, put some Kemi-Oyl ( or any really light oil) on my hair, and then I would twist my new growth and follow through down the entire length of my locks to smooth out any fuzzies. It is important to do this when the hair is damp and then secure the roots. I used these little tiny claw clips that I found at Walgreens to secure my roots. I really liked them because they kept the cylindrical shape of the locks, instead of making them flat with the duckbill clips. I would tie my hair up at night to help keep them neater longer. It is also good to get into the habit of twisting your locks when you are sitting around watching television or whatever. I would also twist my front locks nightly, so that my hairline was always neat and I never ever used gel, only oil and water to twist. My locks were always impeccably groomed and I never had any build-up.