My hair was my security blanket - got a hair cut and I feel exposed

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I got my hair cut on my birthday - Tuesday. I was hoping for a trim but it's really a cut. I went from a v waistlength to a v above bsl with a roller set.

So, though my hair looks healthier and it's layered nicely, I don't think it's me. Everyone likes it and my husband can't keep his hands out of it.

I realize now that my hair was my security blanket. (i.e., wavez - oh yeah, she's the chubby one but at least she's got pretty long hair). I think it's because I'm older and heavier now and without the extra hair, I feel exposed.

This should motivate me to get the weight off and get back my hairstyling mojo. Time to step it up while it grows back out.

So here's the new cut. It's right above BSL when it's bone straight. But here I had it rollerset and with the humidity, it looks even shorter.

Every day it's closer to being in it's natural state

When I wash it,and it's super curly, it'll be really short. I might have to change my signature picture if my sticks don't work anymore. :(

Still gorgeous Waves..and I like the way you think..you can turn an security issue into a positive. Love it! And you can do it. Plus your hair is pretty and healthy!

I know its a rough time because of the change but with a little time I think you will feel much better. Your hair is healthy and looks good and it will grow back to the length that you want. Sometimes we do need a little change.

Same thing happened to me! My hair was MBL, I got a "trim" the lady cut my hair in layers and it wound up being above BSL, I was soooo pissed, so I wound up cutting it even more into a pixie lol (stupid I know) I liked it for a few weeks, Now I'm over it and want my bun back however it;'s gonna be a while before that happens

Girly, its still gorgeous and you still have plenty of hair that plenty of people would give their right arm to be able to have, I'm sure everyone still thinks its lovely.

Your hair looks great and I still see lots of hair :yep: Your ponytail hangs nicely being just above BSL. My hair doesn't hang like that in a ponytail and it's almost WL stretched :nono:

Enjoy it, you'll have your WL hair back in no time :)

Not trying to be insensitive or rude, but your hair still looks like it's your security blanket and you certainly should not feel exposed. When I saw the title of your thread, I was expecting to see a TWA or something close to it. You still have a lot of hair and it's BSL. Besides that, your hair still looks great!

Your hair is pretty and it will grow back in no time :yep:.

OT: iCandyc, I want to cut my hair into a pixie within the next couple of months and I'm kind of worried that I will feel the same way you do. I think it's cute and do you wear it curly? I'm natural and I think I'll wear it more wavy than straight.

wavezncurlz, look on the positive side, it's still beautiful and it is HEALTHIER and so you're "starting" off with nothing wrong. So just think how well it'll look the next time you're at WL. You've learned so much more over the journey you've had thus far, so it's like you're getting a second chance to perfect the trip this time around.

What's more, you know how folks with longer hair look at people with shorter hair and admire styles they can pull off with the short hair and they start to hear the scissors calling? This is an opportunity to explore EVERY style there is for shorter hair, so you'll never miss it when you get to longer lengths.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the positive vibes. It's still shrinking! LOL Today I'm wearing it big and out - Taren style. I kinda dig my floppy fro! :

Still gorgeous Waves..and I like the way you think..you can turn an security issue into a positive. Love it! And you can do it. Plus your hair is pretty and healthy!

I hope I can keep it positive. :)

Same thing happened to me! My hair was MBL, I got a "trim" the lady cut my hair in layers and it wound up being above BSL, I was soooo pissed, so I wound up cutting it even more into a pixie lol (stupid I know) I liked it for a few weeks, Now I'm over it and want my bun back however it;'s gonna be a while before that happens

Wow. I bet the pixie cut is cute though!

Girly, its still gorgeous and you still have plenty of hair that plenty of people would give their right arm to be able to have, I'm sure everyone still thinks its lovely.

I do still have a lot. It feels thicker too so that's a plus. I have to say this site enables hair anorexia though!

Your hair looks great and I still see lots of hair Your ponytail hangs nicely being just above BSL. My hair doesn't hang like that in a ponytail and it's almost WL stretched

Enjoy it, you'll have your WL hair back in no time

Thanks, It's not in a ponytail, it's just pinned back. :)

Not trying to be insensitive or rude, but your hair still looks like it's your security blanket and you certainly should not feel exposed. When I saw the title of your thread, I was expecting to see a TWA or something close to it. You still have a lot of hair and it's BSL. Besides that, your hair still looks great!

You're absolutely right. No offense taken. I do still use it as a crutch and I need to work on my thought process. I am not comfortable with very short hair at my size. Last time I had a twa I was "high school skinny" and wore it well. I love the sassy look of a twa and in time I will definitely have a pixie cut again.

You and your hair looks great wavezncurlz and ahem, I don't think you look overweight either....just being honest.
Hehehe. Thanks though. My profile picture was on a good day. I think according to LHCF standards, I'm more than "thick", less than obese - I like the term zaftig :)

It ha only been a couple of days. For you this is a major change and will take a minute to get used to. You may grow to love it!

@wavezncurlz, look on the positive side, it's still beautiful and it is HEALTHIER and so you're "starting" off with nothing wrong. So just think how well it'll look the next time you're at WL. You've learned so much more over the journey you've had thus far, so it's like you're getting a second chance to perfect the trip this time around.

What's more, you know how folks with longer hair look at people with shorter hair and admire styles they can pull off with the short hair and they start to hear the scissors calling? This is an opportunity to explore EVERY style there is for shorter hair, so you'll never miss it when you get to longer lengths.

Enjoy!

Your second paragraph is so true! Thanks Nonie!

wavezncurlz
I know exactly how you feel, but don't worry in a few weeks it'll be back.. I don't know what i was thinking going all the way and chopping it all off! Never again! Ur hair is still beautiful btw!

OT: iCandyc, I want to cut my hair into a pixie within the next couple of months and I'm kind of worried that I will feel the same way you do. I think it's cute and do you wear it curly? I'm natural and I think I'll wear it more wavy than straight.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/226074_549925429822_195100636_31117810_1980033_n.jpg

There's a link to how I wear it most of the time. When I first cut it I was texlaxed and it looked nice whn I wore it semi wavy but whn I tried to straighten it, it was giving me a hard time plus my hair frizzes like crazy so I just said screw it and relaxed it bone straight.

It's a nice hair cut. Very thick and healthy. You shouldn't want to lose weight just because you cut your hair short, it should be health conscious reasoning behind it. If you are losing weight based off superficiality you won't keep it off.

@wavezncurlz
I know exactly how you feel, but don't worry in a few weeks it'll be back.. I don't know what i was thinking going all the way and chopping it all off! Never again! Ur hair is still beautiful btw!

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/226074_549925429822_195100636_31117810_1980033_n.jpg

There's a link to how I wear it most of the time. When I first cut it I was texlaxed and it looked nice whn I wore it semi wavy but whn I tried to straighten it, it was giving me a hard time plus my hair frizzes like crazy so I just said screw it and relaxed it bone straight.

iCandyc

That cut is HOT!!!! I LOVE IT!

**SaSSy**
Yep, you are right. I am working on it for health. If I look hotter after it's all done, double bubble! :)

We all have these feelings when our hair gets significantly shorter, but it's still long and luscious.

You know it'll grow back before you know it. Still gorgeous!

Wavezncurlz...You have absolutely beautiful hair!!! ITA with Honeycomb. Your hair will grow back in no time. Although, I understand about your hair being a security blanket, you will see exactly what your LHCF family is talking about. :)

You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I wonder why the stylist cut so much hair.:ohwell: I feel you about the hair. I had fooled myself into thinking I don't care about having long hair, but I know that's a lie.:lachen: Your hair will grow back quickly because you know how to nurture and care for it.:yep:

We all have these feelings when our hair gets significantly shorter, but it's still long and luscious.

You know it'll grow back before you know it. Still gorgeous!

Wavezncurlz...You have absolutely beautiful hair!!! ITA with Honeycomb. Your hair will grow back in no time. Although, I understand about your hair being a security blanket, you will see exactly what your LHCF family is talking about. :)

You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I wonder why the stylist cut so much hair.:ohwell: I feel you about the hair. I had fooled myself into thinking I don't care about having long hair, but I know that's a lie.:lachen: Your hair will grow back quickly because you know how to nurture and care for it.:yep:

Thanks ladies. I really do feel the love here. It's so cool to have an online family! :)

I feel you girl. Mine isn't weight, its acne. As long as you come to grips with what you perceive as "flaws" you can keep your long hair and allow it NOT to be your security blanket. As has been said, its beautiful and you really do not appear to be overweight at all - but it is all about how you feel about yourself.

Back