My hair won't perm...please help

philasweet

My hair won\'t perm...please help

my hair will not relax. I was born with type 3a hair and with all of the abuse I have given it when I relax it feel like 4b type. The more I relax it the nappier it gets. I’ve tried arogee treatments, placentas and nothing seems to work. I looking for any suggestions, maybe vitamins, relaxer brands, shampoos anything. I would say in the last year this has been the problem...I don’t do the hairdresser thing I had a bad experience I’m looking for a home remedy… I weaving it up now with a curly weaving because it’s the only way I can get it to blend… I am so close to just shaving it off and starting over please help.....

keylargo

Re: My hair won\'t perm...please help

my mom has hair like that. it doesn't matter what brand of relaxer she uses or if she has done professionally or not. it never straightens. she's given up and just wears it curly. the only way she can get it straight is by pressing it.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

My aunt has hair like that, too. She leaves her relaxer on for 30-40 minutes and it ends up looking like a texturizer. She straightens it with a curling iron every few days (I don't recomend this).

You should PM Henrilou. Her hair was damaged and she grew it out wearing weaves.

philasweet

I Pmed her thanks...for you

ravenmerlita

It is difficult for my hair to relax as well. I recently used the Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Egg Shampoo and Conditioner, followed by the Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. The results were terrific. My hair came out soft. I pulled it back into a bun and it dried straight.

EbonyF

[ QUOTE ]
my hair will not relax. I was born with type 3a hair and with all of the abuse I have given it when I relax it feel like 4b type.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my natural senses are alert, but, just from your wording (probably a mistake), but it's like having a 4b is a "bad" thing...

Again, it's late, and maybe I'm just reading you wrong

(btw, I'm going by 4b having a Z shape strand... and it can be very soft to the touch, depending on it's care)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Actually,

This is probably an indication that your hair is extremely strong.

sweetcocoa

My hair is never completely straight even when I relax it. The relaxer basically gets rid of the frizz for me.

I once thought I wasn't leaving it on long enough.... so I relaxed 4 weeks later... and kept relaxing every4-6 weeks...same results...
I finally came to the conclusion that my hair was damaged...and no amount of relaxing..(which was a no-lye) was going to fix it...So that's when I stopped relaxing and grew out my relaxer...now after being natural for 2 years I have lightly relaxed it(with a lye relaxer this time)and it feels much smoother and softer and I still have my curls for when I wash and go.
I say all this to say your hair may be overprocessed and very damaged and that's why it appears to be not relaxing.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my natural senses are alert, but, just from your wording (probably a mistake), but it's like having a 4b is a "bad" thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get that vibe. I instead figured she was just trying to give a mental picture of how her hair looks. Coz when we relax, we sort of aim for the Type 1 straight look or close if we want to underprocess. So I think she just wanted us to get a better picture of how rebellious her hair is...even to the point of going the opposite direction.

Am I right, Phila?

Peachtree

I'm sorry, i really don't have any advice for u. My perms have always took without a problem.

On a side note, I just wanted to extend a "welcome" to u.

I truly hope ur able to find an answer for ur hair situation.

God Bless,
Peachtree

Karonica

This is what I am currently going through. My hair is not taking to relaxers anymore, and it is extremely frustrating. The reason why my hair has changed is not only because it's stronger, but I am on thyroid medication which is affecting my hair big time. I'm actually going to transition, because it isn't worth the stress.

[ QUOTE ]
my mom has hair like that. it doesn't matter what brand of relaxer she uses or if she has done professionally or not. it never straightens. she's given up and just wears it curly. the only way she can get it straight is by pressing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother's side of the family has that kind of hair too. Relaxers seem to damage the hair and makes it hard & dry, which makes it appear to be nappy. She doesn't have that problem anymore. She just does a wash & condition, then blowdry & curl. Her hair looks soft & healthy without pressing or relaxers.

EbonyF

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't get that vibe. I instead figured she was just trying to give a mental picture of how her hair looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what was the trigger for is that she said it "felt" like 4b hair. That is what was sort of puzzling. One's hair can't feel like 4b.

Just waiting for clarification

Nonie

For the record I have Type 4A/B hair. From my understanding, if we were to categorize hair types from the oiliest to the most dry, then Type 1 would be the oiliest while 4 would be the most dry (BTW, is dryest/driest a word?). For that reason, then it isn't just the "look" that would differentiate the hair types but also the feel. My boyfriend has type 3B/C hair and it feels and looks different from mine. So I don't think she was wrong to say it "felt" like 4B. I think chemicals could strip hair of its natural oils and rip the outer layer making it not only appear drier but also feel drier. Oh and the reason Type 4 hair looks drier than say Type 1, I believe, is because the curls make it difficult for our natural serum to reach the ends. I read that somewhere.

Just my $0.02.

LongNaturalMe

[ QUOTE ]
(btw, I'm going by 4b having a Z shape strand... and it can be very soft to the touch, depending on it's care)

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Actually 4a/b hair is often far softer (like cotton) than 2a/b-3a/b/c hair.

philasweet

yes you hit it on the head I wasnt saying type 4b is bad its just not what my hair should feel like after a relaxer I was trying to make a visual

philasweet

felt like looks like some difference I'm trying to create a visual...cause when I think type 4b I'm not thinking soft and silky... I thinking ultra tight curl....the normal texture of black people's hair... there's nothing wrong with it, its just not the texture my hair should be...

Nyambura

surfer girl

Philasweet - I hope the following copyrighted recipes, by Mahalialee, a LHCF member with 3B hair, help. I hope she is ok with it because she posted these on an earlier version of LHCF.

<font color="purple"> MAHALIALEE'S MUD PIES AND MUD PACKS: hair may darken

#1: Mahalialee's Sugar Pie

1/4 c. pure cane sugar (pure sugar cane-from Health Store) DO NOT SUBSTITUTE 1/4 c. black strap molasses
3 tbls. Lime juice
1/2 c. Organic Mayonnaise (health food store)Do not substitute:

warm in micro wave (DO NOT GET HOT, due to eggs in the mayonnaise)
Better to warm in pan of hot water.

Apply to damp hair, cover in plastic. 1 hour. </font>

<font color="red"> (c)copyrighted 1999-2002</font>

<font color="purple"> 1. MAHALIALEE'S LIMOLASIC Liquid
Long Hair Care Forum 6/7/2002

These may be helpful to some of the ladies on this board. Part of a series of homemade recipes:

If you substitute any of the ingredients, DO NOT EXPECT SAME RESULTS:

For example: pure sugar cane (in a box) IS NOT exchangeable with 'demerara, brown sugar, or molasses, or honey etc. etc.' Regular cooking molasses IS NOT exchangeable with pure blackstrap molasses.

COPYRIGHTED: ©PEKO PACK RADICAL RECOVERY HAIR TREATMENTS 1999-2002 MAHALIALEE:

These particular ones are not necessarily for extremely damaged hair but for hair on recovery and maintenance: I use more radical treatments for really damaged hair.

LIMOLASIC ACID RINSE: MAHALIALEE'S MIST: MAHALIALEE'S SUGAR PIE::::enjoy!
CONTENTS: ACID RINSES: SERUMS:

For restoring acid mantle to scalp; sugar bond to hair, elasticity to hair. Do this following a protein treatment, hot oil treatment. Good for tightening hair cuticles: Part of 3 week intensive care. ((Use 1X weekly.))

<font color="red">(c)copyrighted:1999-2002</font>

1. MAHALIALEE'S LIMOLASIC Liquid - INGREDIENTS: Use 1X weekly.

2 tsp.. Freshly squeezed lime juice **(FRESHLY SQUEEZED LIME (not bottled)
2 tbl pure cane sugar
1 tbl. pure black strap molasses
hot water, stir: let cool. Add 1 tbl. Vitamin C Crystals.

Separate hair into parted sections and spray each section:

let sit for 1/2 hour.
Rinse in warm water.
Oil hair very lightly.
Wrap. ((Use 1X weekly.))</font>

I tried both of these recipes and was amazed at how wonderful my hair felt afterwards.

Mahalialee also posted 3 recipes (in a series) that she created for radical hair recovery. They're pretty involved and I couldn't find some of the natural ingredients (I live in Minnesota) but that may not be a problem for you. Please let me know if you'd like to see those too. She said Radical Hair Recovery recipes turned her natural 3B hair around without her having to get a haircut. Her hair, the last I recall, was at least 7.5 inches past her shoulders.

HTH and good luck!

Nyambura

surfer girl

Oh yeah - wanted to add, for the Limolasic Liquid, use distilled water as your heated water (I paid about 89 cents for a gallon at the grocery store).

Nyambura

surfer girl

Philasweet, I don't know if you saw this post but please let me know if you decide to try the recipes out. Good luck.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my hair will not relax. I was born with type 3a hair and with all of the abuse I have given it when I relax it feel like 4b type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, it's late, and maybe I'm just reading you wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

My natural alert went off also. I know what this sister is trying to say. Although I know that she wasn't trying to offend anyone, I did get offended. I am not trying to start anything. I am just sensitive when people refer to nappy hair in a not so positive light. I love my napps. All napps, curls &amp; waves are equally beautiful!

EbonyF it sounds like your hair is over-processed and damaged. Maybe a protein reconstructer will help. In the past were you able to get your hair straight when you used a relaxer? Is this a recent phenomenon?

AFashionSlave

Maybe you can try natural conditioners. I have tried a mixture of honey and olive oil to combat dryness before I shampoo.

Maybe if you use a combination of protein reconstructers and deep conditioners you can save your hair.

I know that you have used APHOGEE before, but maybe you should try another brand. I had color damage a couple years ago. I used a protein reconstructer along with a moisturizing conditioner religiously every 4 weeks. It took my hair 2 months of treatment but eventually my napps returned to normal.

Good Luck

philasweet

yes it used to also be able to get str8.. before I only had to perm it every 4 to 5 months now it seems like every 3 to 4 weeks its hard again and I have to perm it....I'm using a no lye mild relaxer maybe I should switch to a lyte regular??? and try a protein rebuilder???

AFashionSlave

I don't think that you should be perming your hair every 3 to 4 weeks. Try waiting at least 6 weeks before you get another relaxer. It may take a while for your hair to get back to normal condition. If you don't like Aphogee try Joico. Try using one of them relgiouly every 4 to 6 weeks with a moisturizing conditioner. When my hair was damaged it took two months of deep conditioning to get it back to normal. My hair is very soft and very nappy &amp; color treated. Currently I wash and deep condition every week with Ebone shea butter shampoo or Nassab Black soap. I also deep condition with Aubreys Island Spice cream rinse (I sit under the dryer for 20 minutes)

I also use Aphogee treatment for damaged hair every 6 weeks followed by Aubreys Island Spice Cream rinse.

Once in a while I will use a pre shampoo treatment of honey and olive oil. Honey is a natural humectant that helps to keep your hair moist.

Until your hair is how you want it I would steer clear of all heat appliances and go back to roller sets.

Be gentle with your hair. There is a lot of good information on these boards.

When was the last time you trimmed your hair? Do you have thin ends?

philasweet

I kinda figured all that relaxing was a bad thing....I'm just not use to caring for my own hair.. I dont know the first thing to do. I use to
to my hairdresser every week went away to school and now I basically bald.....i guess this Aubrey brand is good because everyone seems to use it....I have a weave now some there's not much heat to my hair...umm my ends are bad I haven't been experencing breakage too much no slip ends i trimmed them this week....

so I guess the basics are
wash weekly
hot oil treat weekly
deep condition weekly

until it get my grade of hair back to normal...??????