My Komaza Hair Analysis (with images)

missbugg21

I had been noticing lots of breakage and dryness over the last several months. Although my hair is growing longer, I feel as though I am not retaining as much length as I could. I also noticed lots of damaged strands when I examine my shed hair. Because of this, I sprung for the Komaza Hair Care analysis. The service cost $85 for the analysis and phone consultation. It’s $65 for just the analysis and a written report.

Timeline:
· 02/19/15: Purchased analysis with consultation via www.komazahaircare.com.
· 02/22/15: Mailed in clean shed hair sample with questionnaire.
· 03/02/15: Received e-mail that sample was received to be analyzed.Requested 14 business days for review.
· 03/13/15: Received e-mail that analysis was complete and ready to schedule consultation.Consultation was scheduled for next available slot.
· 03/16/15: 1 hour telephone consult completed.

Results:
My hair is in relatively good shape. It’s not as badly damaged as I thought. Just a few small adjustments to my regimen and I should be on my way to greater lengths. J
I have normal-to-high porosity with medium thickness (0.78mm thick).

My analysis included 14 images of my hair. The majority of the images showed the same problem: lack of protein, dryness, and cuticle damage.I attached a few of the images:

Image 1 = cuticles lifted and dry; signs of lack of protein
Image 2 = breakage; likely a mid-shaft break due to improper utensils
Image 3 = cuticle damage
Image 4 = Healthy root & Healthy strands
Image 5 = Healthy strand next to cuticle damage

Suggestions:
· Mild protein treatment every 2 weeks for 1 year, then once a month indefinitely
· Eliminate glycerin from my hair regimen. Due to my dry environment, glycerin products are causing more dryness to my hair. Move to using Aloe based products instead.
· Invest in a good aloe-based leave-in and use that on my hair daily under any oils or styling products.
· Eliminate the use of boar bristle brushes (even for smoothing edges) as they are causing splits and breakage in my weakened hair. Use hands and (possibly) Denman brush as much as possible.
· Trim ends on a schedule to rid hair of damaged sections.Need to lose 2 inches – 1 inch immediately, then ¼ to ½ inch every 8 weeks. Once damage is removed, can move to trimming ¼ to ½ inch every 3 months
· Continue with hair/skin/nails vitamin regimen
· Follow-up with another analysis to compare progress (if desired) in a year.

Overall, I’m glad I did this. She did make product recommendations that she feels will help me simplify my regimen and get my hair to maximum health. I am really happy and would definitely recommend this service to anyone on the fence. If you feel like maybe you need a little help to get your hair to the next level for optimal health and growth, this service is for you!

Edited to add: If you order, feel free to use my referral code
YLwFMg. You and I both benefit from a discount if you do!! :yep:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 216
  • 2.png
    2.png
    131 KB · Views: 218
  • 3.png
    3.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 5.png
    5.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

almond eyes

Thanks for sharing. I guess as naturals we need more protein treatments than we think. I got very lazy about my protein treatments two months ago and my ends began to suffer a bit. So now I am back to my once a week mild protein treatment and I clipped off some ends. I love their products too. Very light and moisturizing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

missbugg21

I really need to get this done one day. What products did she recommend?

She recommended that I look for aloe based products with silk and/or jojoba proteins. She stressed that I need to avoid using any products with glycerin (because I live in AZ and glycerin does more harm than good in my environment).

Shea Moisture has been my favorite product line and unfortunately, it is packed with tons of glycerin, so I asked her which products from her line she recommends. She told me their Califia line will do the most good for my problem. She told me that if I wanted to go out and look for other non-Komaza products, then I should find ones with the closest matching ingredients to the Califia line for the most benefit.

I always thought the DC was the most important component in our regimen, but in her opinion, it's actually the leave-in we use. She stressed the importance of me finding a good aloe-based leave-in and use it daily. I will be trying their products first...based on her recommendations.

missbugg21

Thanks for sharing. I guess as naturals we need more protein treatments than we think. I got very lazy about my protein treatments two months ago and my ends began to suffer a bit. So now I am back to my once a week mild protein treatment and I clipped off some ends. I love their products too. Very light and moisturizing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I thought protein intake was sufficient enough (since I have a high-protein diet), but topical protein is just as important. I haven't actually done a protein treatment in over a year and a half, so I could see why I was deficient. I will be purchasing their products and following her regimen suggestions strictly to hopefully reap the most benefit. At 2.5 years natural, I'm about half of where I should be length-wise. Hopefully, this turns it around for me. :yep:

almond eyes

I thought protein intake was sufficient enough (since I have a high-protein diet), but topical protein is just as important. I haven't actually done a protein treatment in over a year and a half, so I could see why I was deficient. I will be purchasing their products and following her regimen suggestions strictly to hopefully reap the most benefit. At 2.5 years natural, I'm about half of where I should be length-wise. Hopefully, this turns it around for me. :yep:

I think now your hair is going to take off now!!!!!!!!!! Knowledge is power.

Thanks so much again for sharing the knowledge and a big ups to Komaza.

Best,
Almond Eyes

missbugg21

I think now your hair is going to take off now!!!!!!!!!! Knowledge is power.

Thanks so much again for sharing the knowledge and a big ups to Komaza.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I really hope so!! I thought I was a slow grower because my hair is only about 8 inches long (after 2.5 years of growth). Today, I learned that my root sheaths are extremely healthy, I just have been doing small things to cause damage/breakage (i.e. poor styling tools, no protein treatments, etc). Once those things are corrected, I should be in really good shape!!

Beamodel

I just ordered an analysis on Friday. My hair samples will go out tomorrow along with my questionnaire. I'm hoping they can tell me why I've lost half the density of my hair. It's growing very well but the density is disappearing.

Thanks for tagging me IDareT'sHair
:)

spacetygrss

Very cool!

I hope that this does the trick.
I'm in my second week of using Komaza products almost exclusively, including the Caliafa kit and already see some changes. I may do the analysis later this year to see how things are going.

Thanks for sharing.

Honey Bee

I really hope so!! I thought I was a slow grower because my hair is only about 8 inches long (after 2.5 years of growth). Today, I learned that my root sheaths are extremely healthy, I just have been doing small things to cause damage/breakage (i.e. poor styling tools, no protein treatments, etc). Once those things are corrected, I should be in really good shape!!
Which tools did were you using?

missbugg21

I just ordered an analysis on Friday. My hair samples will go out tomorrow along with my questionnaire. I'm hoping they can tell me why I've lost half the density of my hair. It's growing very well but the density is disappearing.

Thanks for tagging me @IDareT'sHair
:)

If you included that in your questionnaire, they will definitely review that with you. She mentioned that the health of the root sheath has a lot to do with the density of our shafts. It may be an internal imbalance that needs to be corrected. I'm curious to know what the results are.

Good luck...keep us posted!!

missbugg21

Very cool!

I hope that this does the trick.
I'm in my second week of using Komaza products almost exclusively, including the Caliafa kit and already see some changes. I may do the analysis later this year to see how things are going.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm excited to start using the products. What made you decide to go to their products (almost) exclusively?

Which tools did were you using?

Primarily my boar bristle brush. :sad: I was using it to smooth my edges when I wore my hair in a bun (or puff) and it was causing splits high up on the shaft. She recommended I get rid of all of my bristle brushes and use my hands and my Denman if I need extra smoothing.

spacetygrss

I'm excited to start using the products. What made you decide to go to their products (almost) exclusively? .

I have been having lots of problems with splits, bubble hairs, etc for the past few months. I decided to try to use one brand so that I'd be using products that were meant to work together. I was already using the protein treatment and had heard really good things about Komaza. The ingredients looked good and lined up with things that I had researched online, so I decided to give it a try. I'll reassess in 2-3 months.

virtuenow

Awesome, thanks for sharing your results and being so thorough. It sounds like it shouldn't be long for a turn-around. Komaza is the best ;)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Nice review. I just ordered this. I was scared to order before because of what I might hear, but I'm willing to cut as much as possible to get my hair back on track.

missbugg21

Nice review. I just ordered this. I was scared to order before because of what I might hear, but I'm willing to cut as much as possible to get my hair back on track.

YAY! I'm excited for you...

I had the same fears, but I knew that I wasn't making the progress I wanted at the rate I was going, so it was time to do something different - even if that meant cutting some of it.

You'll be happy you did it! Good luck to you!! Please keep us posted!

loulou82

Thanks for the great review. Our hair seems to share similar characteristics. I've been making slow progress lately and my stylist believes my reluctance to trim is holding me back from retaining because my new growth is strong and healthy.

missbugg21

loulou82 Yes...I was the same way! I always thought trimming was hindering my progress, but once I started studying my strands, I noticed that there was significant damage (or beginning damage) that would cause breakage. Even if the ENDS look good, there still may be some damage further up the strand that needs tending to. Thankfully, mine can be helped with protein treatments, but my bottom 2 inches need to go! I'm really optimistic that making these changes and trimming regularly will turn my hair around!

lux10023

very interestingggg.....I use to use protein whenever i remembered but now i am way more diligent with it and i see the progress...strengthened/healthy strands..I may do this analysis...

missbugg21

lux10023 I completely downplayed the importance of protein... SOOO many of my problems could have been avoided years ago if I would have kept up with it. :sad:

so1913

Great review! I'm finally doing this and purchased the analysis! In the process of collecting my hair sample.

I don't have any major concerns with my hair, I "think" its in pretty good shape, but it would be nice to get confirmation or find out otherwise and find out how I can improve.

I'm about 3 months post trim, so know its about time for that. I'm looking forward to learning more about my hair!

loulou82

Wow. I need 2 inches trimmed and regular protein too. I going to do the trim in June after I take down my sew in.

I have Komaza Protein Strengthener, Aphogee Green Tea and Aphogee 2 Minute in my stash and failed to use them. I hindered my own progress by not using them. :sad: