My method for taking out braids w/ little to no breakage!

MissFallon

I've been reading posts about how people have been losing so much hair taking out cornrows and braids. I had cornrows in my hair last week and when I took them out tuesday to put the color in I figured there has to be a better way. So instead of taking out the braids first I washed my hair and then put motions cpr treatment on them for 2 hours. Then I rinsed out the conditioner and combed out the braids with a wide tooth comb and my fingers. I lost about 6-10 hairs like this. The next day I put a permanent color in and used the motions cpr as a conditioner again and barely lost any hairs. So, I suggest using a protein treatment (either mild or strong) and then taking them out making sure you detangle well and then do another protein treatment to prevent further breakage.

I sorta do it this way, except I just "wash" most of the braids out.

I normally use human hair so i am not sure if it can work this way with other hair types.

I just drench my hair in CON Ultra moisturizing after i cut the ends of the braids off and then the just rinse off in the shower.

sometimes I have to do it 2 times to get about 95% of the braids out that way. Then I detangle my hair easily and I am done.

no breakage and less time taken to do it.

Great thread...
Does anyone use the take down cream formula and how much of a difference has it made? I have just bought it but haven't used it as I haven't taken my braids down yet.

I am contemplating getting micro-braids for 2 months. The only thing that has me kinda "iffy" about it was taking them down without causing damage. The protein treatment sounds like a good idea. I just figured that in order to take down the braids without much breakage would be to wash my hair and slather conditioner on it, and just take the braids out with ease that way. Or if not that way, use a detangling spray that provides lots and lots and lots of slip. I never thought about doing the protein treatment on micros in order to keep my actual hair strong.......thanks, for the idea MissFallon. :)

HoneyDew said:
I sorta do it this way, except I just "wash" most of the braids out.

I normally use human hair so i am not sure if it can work this way with other hair types.

I just drench my hair in CON Ultra moisturizing after i cut the ends of the braids off and then the just rinse off in the shower.

sometimes I have to do it 2 times to get about 95% of the braids out that way. Then I detangle my hair easily and I am done.

no breakage and less time taken to do it.

How long does it take you to do this?

Back