My mom looks like Susan Taylor. HELP!

MissJ

I didn't get my mama a Mother's Day present, because I was going to get her her first Dominican blow out. She wanted to know how it was done. Well, when I told her, she was dead set against getting her hair done. I kept telling her I was getting her a hairdo, and then she took the scarf off her head. Her edges were gone! She said that because she wears caps to work, her edges had rubbed out.

Now, everytime I see her, she's wearing a scarf on her head. I just figured out like last week that the culprit is probably microbraids. She gets those sometimes, because my cousins do it for free. Anyway, I was going to tell her what I thought her problem was yesterday. I got to my grandparents' house, and she had yet another set of microbraids. Only this time, her hair started way back on her head. I kept staring and wanted to say something so bad, but I didn't want to embarrass her in front of the rest of the family.

Not only that, but she was putting microbraids into my aunts hair the whole time. I was thinking to myself, "I hope she doesn't take her hair out, too." I know mine came out around the edges as a result of the braids she put in my hair. I had told her not to do it around the edges, but she was concerned that it wouldn't "look right." Shoot, I'd prefer to have my edges, thank you very much. Anyway, a few minutes later, another aunt showed up, and she had microbraids, as well. What is the world coming to? Can anybody help my mom. Her edges are completely bald. I don't know what to do other than to tell her to keep those freaking braids out of her hair. Do you think her hair could grow back?

gymfreak336

For startes, get them braids OUT OF HER HEAD!!
Then head to a dermatologist. At this point, she might need some medical intervention.

baby42

not to be funny i think susan taylor is going for that african look that has the sides and topwith no hair line its to their ears you can see it in some african web site my son show me it they cut the hair back to the ear and braids in the back look just like susan guess that why no one says to much about it i think she loves the look cause if not she would do some thing about it:perplexed

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
but susan taylor's hair line has ALWAYS been back there, she never had a hairline, it has nothing to do with the braids, i saw a pic of her way way way back and she had a receding hairline

MissJ

Ok, fair enough. Somebody on here posted that Susan's hair was like that because of braids. Guess not, but mom's is. How do you get hair to grow back in by the root?

Synthia

Michiko said:
but susan taylor's hair line has ALWAYS been back there, she never had a hairline, it has nothing to do with the braids, i saw a pic of her way way way back and she had a receding hairline

No, I remember when I was growing up and would always read Susan's column at the back of Essence "In the Spirit" i think it was called.

. I was obsessed with her. And I remember she WAS NOT receding.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
MissJ said:
Ok, fair enough. Somebody on here posted that Susan's hair was like that because of braids. Guess not, but mom's is. How do you get hair to grow back in by the root?
1st she needs to take out the braids, and stop putting them in her hair, no more ponies. There is a topical formula, some people use the pills, but there is also the shampoo, conditioner and leave in it is calle nioxin, she would have to was her hair w/ it and EVERY night apply the leave in to her hair

Synthia

MissJ said:

Yes, I agree that you must tell your mom to stay away from microbraids.

She can wear a mushroom hair style that has her hair coming down over the edges and that will give her hair a rest from stress.

I personally would put emu oil on it every night because that oil is associated with "awakening hair follicles" and correcting loss. I do not know how true that is, but that's the reputation.