My Natural hair HATES shampoo!

Freespirit02

I don't know what the deal is. I washed my hair with tressemme naturals shampoo and conditioner and my hair just doesn't feel the same :ohwell:. My hair adores the conditioner when I co wash..but the shampoo is a no go. That's with EVERY shampoo since I went natural. The only shampoo my hair kinda likes is the the clarifying ones. I don't get it. I mean..I really needed to wash the gel out my hair..so co washing wasn't going to cut it. I was thinking about using some silicon mix and seeing what happens. What should I do.

Oh the feeling of my hair is like I have split ends..which I know I don't...If that makes any sense..

Charz

Sinister Minister
Have you tried a non-sulfate shampoo? Or a shampoo bar?

I like Hairveda's Amala Shampoo, Shescentit's Jojoba Hemp Shampoo, KBB's Moisturing Shampoo, Giovonni Silk Shampoo, Chagrin Valley's Butter Conditioner Shampoo Bar, and Dr. Bronners Castille Soap.

All of these clean my hair but don't strip it, and they do not have sulfates.

Anyway if you DC properly, your hair shouldn't feel bad afterwards regardless.

Tiye

I'll bet your natural hair would probably like some shampoos - garnier length and strength, pantene nature fusion, and aveda shampure are some of my faves. But lots of people prefer to conditioner wash only so if that's working for you then nothing wrong with that either :).

Nonie

I am not an ingredient studier but OP's post made me look up the ingredients of the shampoo and "Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate" are the harshest sulphates IIRC and are listed second and third, so no wonder you didn't like it.

Have you tried the Giovanni Line, or Trader Joe's shampoos, OP?

Lynnerie

I hate shampoo too but bentonite clay works good! Also when you shampoo before you rinse put conditioner on your hair so your hair doesn't feel as stripped. Although I dont like shampoo I have to use it to remove cones and gel.

Freespirit02

I am not an ingredient studier but OP's post made me look up the ingredients of the shampoo and "Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate" are the harshest sulphates IIRC and are listed second and third, so no wonder you didn't like it.

Have you tried the Giovanni Line, or Trader Joe's shampoos, OP?

oh man..should of looked up those ingredients! It said "less sulfates" on the front so said "okay..cool". I will try Giovanni line..since I don't have a trader joe in my area.

diadall

I saw on the Kim Luv Naturals Youtube page that she adds conditioner to her hair while it still has shampoo in it. That could be an alternative. Also maybe using a prepoo method with oils in your hair the night prior?

shunemite

Wow, the marketing class I took this fall is really coming in handy in my hair journeys. When I read OP's post on Tresseme for "naturals" the first thought that went through my head was "marketing". It goes along with "low-fat" labels on food that aren't low fat, and "high fiber" on bread that was dyed brown. I agree with Nonie, your hair doesn't like harsh sulfates, which are in the shampoo you were using. I think you should try a sulfate free (truly sulfate free, not just one that says "sulfate free").

Makenzie

Have you tried baking soda? Cheap and leaves my hair feeling very clean. After I clarify with it, I use WEN. Great combination.

Nonie

oh man..should of looked up those ingredients! It said "less sulfates" on the front so said "okay..cool". I will try Giovanni line..since I don't have a trader joe in my area.

That is so wrong for them to write "less sulfates" when it is known that ingredients are usually listed with the ones that are most plentiful first and the traces later. So since ALaurylS and ALaurethS are among the first ingredients, "less sulfates" sounds like a big fat lie!

EllePixie

Agree with using a non-sulfate shampoo! A sulfate shampoo will dry my hair out and make it frizz for like 3 days before it's back to normal!!! I used Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo and Donna Marie Super Latherlicious, and neither of them have sulfates or strip my hair. If you want to use conditioner, Curl Junkie's Daily Fix Cleansing Condish is THEBOMB.com. I love that stuff!

lilsparkle825

I feel your pain. I just bought TJ Nourish Spa shampoo with realistic expectations, since I've been natural almost 2.5 years and haven't found a shampoo that doesn't strip my hair yet (sulfate or non-sulfate). Hopefully it will live up to the board's reviews. I will also try Giovanni Smooth as Silk, since it's on sale at the Whole Foods here. I also have a bar of black soap that I keep forgetting about but intend to use to make liquid shampoo, once I find a recipe.

In place of shampooing, I normally use bentonite clay or ACV rinses.

AfroKink

I feel your pain. I just bought TJ Nourish Spa shampoo with realistic expectations, since I've been natural almost 2.5 years and haven't found a shampoo that doesn't strip my hair yet (sulfate or non-sulfate). Hopefully it will live up to the board's reviews. I will also try Giovanni Smooth as Silk, since it's on sale at the Whole Foods here. I also have a bar of black soap that I keep forgetting about but intend to use to make liquid shampoo, once I find a recipe.

In place of shampooing, I normally use bentonite clay or ACV rinses.

For black soap I use to just break off a chunk and put it in a container with warm water and wait for it to dissolve. Then I would use the soapy water like shampoo. I like the way it smells too!

I've had success with Aveda Shampure, but I'm on the hunt for a cheaper alternative

SheenaVee

I don't know what the deal is. I washed my hair with tressemme naturals shampoo and conditioner and my hair just doesn't feel the same :ohwell:. My hair adores the conditioner when I co wash..but the shampoo is a no go. That's with EVERY shampoo since I went natural. The only shampoo my hair kinda likes is the the clarifying ones. I don't get it. I mean..I really needed to wash the gel out my hair..so co washing wasn't going to cut it. I was thinking about using some silicon mix and seeing what happens. What should I do.

Me too! I always dread having build up and having to shampoo because it dries out my hair really badly and take days of cowashing and/or deep conditioning to get it feeling 'normal' again. I have tried so many 'moisturizing' shampoos and my hair always feels completely stripped after I shampoo.

prettyinpurple

Elucence is a good choice. Very concentrated and moisturizing.

I've started using Giovanni 50/50. It's a nice mixture of hydrating and clarifying, without stripping my hair.

Lady_q_tee

co-washing isn't going to cut it becuase conditioner doesn't CLEAN the hair. You need to try a sulfate free shampoo, Im natural and I like creme conditioning shampoo by Elasta QP its sulfate free

In addition have you tried baking soda? You said your hair likes clarifying shampoos .. baking soda is a natural clarifyer

Heres a great recipie, simple and easy

It's not drying if you don't use too much. I think someone tried it and it had their hair hard. They used too much backing soda on their hair.

Baking Soda Clarifying Treatment

* 1 tablespoon baking soda
* 1 cup warm water (I use 2 cups - the warm water helps the baking soda to dissolve)

Directions: Use this mixture if your hair is starting to feel yucky and to help get rid of build-up. It will leave your hair clean and 'sheeny' without that hard, stripped feeling. Combine ingredients in a cup or spray bottle. But DO NOT use more baking soda. Your hair WILL become hard and brittle...trust me! Spray or pour the mixture on your hair and work it through your hair. Allow the mixture sit in the hair for about one minute then rinse out well.

Note - this mixture is not harsh (there is only one tablespoon of baking soda being used) and the mixture is liquidity...NOT gritty. With the small amount of baking soda and the warm water, it dissolve into a grayish like mixture.

lamaria211

my hair seems to favor cone filled shampoos so i just stopped using shampoo now i onnly co wash, dc or water onnly

lovepeacesoul

my hair seems to favor cone filled shampoos so i just stopped using shampoo now i onnly co wash, dc or water onnly

I was the same way and started skipping shampoos. But because of hard water, I have to clarify once in a while. Now I found that moisturizing shampoos do the trick. I use HE HH shampoo and I love it. It doesn't clarify but I can use it every week without the dryness.

A Pinch of Honey