My plan for pressing my natural 4a/b hair (LONG)

zzirvingj

I have decided I want to learn how to press my own hair for once. I've been relaxer free for 4 years now and I figure now is as good as a time as ever to learn. I don't get presses often but this is one of several things I want to learn how to do to my hair to be even less reliant on stylists, if possible.

I am scared but I've been reading alot and here is what I PLAN on doing (haven't done it yet). Maybe you guys can critique it or let me know steps you think can be cut out or steps I might be missing, or heck, even things I just shouldn't be doing altogether. So let me know what you think!

Oh-one thing you should know--I have very very think 4a/b hair!

STEP 1: Wash and deep condition:

1a. Take hair out bun and wash in shower with Aveda Detoxifier (to clarify).

1b. Put hair in around 12-15 twists and apply Aveda Deep Penetrating Revitalizer (for deep conditioning). Let sit for 30 mins to 1 hour with a shower cap on (no heat).

1c. Rinse hair out and apply Aveda Brillant conditioner. Let sit 5 mins. Undo one twist and GENTLY detangle with my detangling comb while under running water. Redo that twist back up once it's done being detangled. Do this for all twists. Rinse thorougly.

STEP 2: Rollerset:

(I am doing this to stretch out my curly 4a/b hair. I figure if I rollerset, this will cut down on the amount of heat I will have to use to press.)

2a. Undo the first twist and spray with spray bottle that has water in it. Run detangling comb through once (if necessary) and set hair on big roller. NOTE: Make sure to hold hair taught, to stretch out curls/kinks during this step.

2c. Repeat step 2a above for all twists, until all hair has been set on rollers.

2d. Allow hair to airdry on rollers.

STEP 3: Press

3a. Take down all rollers. Hair should be dry, but soft and moisturized at this point. Apply small amount of CHI serum to entire head (for heat protection and because I heard it's also good at preventing your hair from reverting).

3b. Section off first section you plan to press. Use clips to section off the rest of the hair for later.

3c. Lightly press hair from root to tip, slightly bumping the ends under (cuz that's how I like it! lol)

3d. Continue sectioning and pressing until hair is all done. I will use a satin bonnet at night. I plan to gently roll the hair under with maybe one or two big rollers nightly to preserve my sexiness....I mean, my STYLE lol. I would wrap it, but I don't wanna comb it. I also plan to purchase KERACARE CREME HAIRDRESS to apply lightly to my hair if I need moisture while it's straight.

That's it! Just 3 simple steps, huh? LOL A couple of things:

-I haven't purchased a CHI yet. But I decided this is the iron I want to try out. Please recommend any tips on using it.

-Can someone recommend what kind of rollers I should use?

-Also, for those naturals who have rollerset, please recommend any tips you may have.

-What does everyone think of the products I have listed to use in these steps?

TIA!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

scorpian

Your plan sounds good
the deep conditioning and using the serum before using heat
I have the original 1'Chi iron and it doesn't do anything at all for my 4b natural hair
I lend it to relatives when they want to use it
The maxiglide with the steam works better on my natural hair

Dearlove

From reading other posts on pressing, you get the best results when you use as few products as possible. You might want to try the press as you've listed, then try it again without using any sort of leave in. If you deep condition, then just use the heat protectant prior to pressing, you should be ok.

I have natural (four and a half years) 4 something hair; my daughter is 3c. Whenever I press/flat iron, I find that a bunch of leave-ins leave my hair and her hair sticky. It doesn't flow. I plan on flat ironing our hair in the spring. Up until that time, I will deep condition each wash. This way, the hair should be ready for the heat.

I think doing a roller set for drying is a great idea. You get the stretch without the heat.

Good luck!

zzirvingj

Dearlove said:
From reading other posts on pressing, you get the best results when you use as few products as possible. You might want to try the press as you've listed, then try it again without using any sort of leave in. If you deep condition, then just use the heat protectant prior to pressing, you should be ok.

I have natural (four and a half years) 4 something hair; my daughter is 3c. Whenever I press/flat iron, I find that a bunch of leave-ins leave my hair and her hair sticky. It doesn't flow. I plan on flat ironing our hair in the spring. Up until that time, I will deep condition each wash. This way, the hair should be ready for the heat.

I think doing a roller set for drying is a great idea. You get the stretch without the heat.

Good luck!

This is a VERY good point. Come to think of it, when my stylist would press my hair she never used a leave-in, just deep conditioned it. And it would be very light and "flowy" (is that a word? lol)

So I think you are right and I will actually try it this way instead. I edited my original post to not include the leave-in. Again, I don't press often. But I do deep condition and apply a leave-in weekly, plus I moisture 1-2 times daily so I think I can skip the leave-in for the press. But I kept the part in about using the Kercare hairdress if needed.

Good advice!