My relaxer is going to make my hair fall out!

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I just got a relaxer again after 5 years back in january. My friend told me to use what she uses which is Precise, so I did and it made my hair really thin, it's been 10 weeks and it's starting to get healthy again. I want to get a touch up, but I don't know if I should keep stretching because this relaxer is really good, but it made my hair really thin.

I'm nervous because what if it makes my hair fall out, what should I do because in Cathy Howse book she says not to change relaxers!

Should I keep using it, and maybe put something in the relaxer, or change all together?

Qualitee

Girl change that relaxer!!!!!! Their is nothing wrong with changing a relaxer that doesnt work for you. I dont follow cathy howse. I mean she does have healthy hair and everything. But she pushes her own products on you:nono:. Plus it took her 12 yrs to get MBL:ohwell:. Lots af ladies changed their relaxer for one that works better for them. Ive done it and my hair has improved!!!:yep:

Last edited:

cicilypayne

I have not heard the don't change your relaxers thing.. Maybe just a cathy concept:nono: I'm not sure..but I would change thin hair is a big no no

ladylibra

^^^are you taking pics in a public bathroom... girl i see that urinal in the mirror!!! :lachen:

Girl change that relaxer!!!!!! Their is nothing wrong with changing a relaxer that doesnt work for you. I dont follow cathy howse. I mean she does have healthy hair and everything. But she pushes her own products on you:nono:. Plus it took her 12 yrs to get MBL:ohwell:. Lots af ladies changed their relaxer for one that works better for them. Ive done it and my hair has improved!!!:yep:

dang... 12 years? i think i'll be there in 2-3 years (meaning, i'm guessing from my BC to MBL it'll take me 5-6). :look:

Last edited:

janeemat

From my personal experience, switching relaxers can cause excessive breakage. Especially if you are going from no lye to lye. If I knew back then, what I know now I would stretch at least 3 months before I attempt to change relaxers. I switched from Optimum to Elasta QP and experienced breakage. My sister used Just for Me for years on her hair and switched to Motions and she had EXTREME breakage. All of her hair literally fell out. Just be careful. But some ladies hair can handle all of the switching, but not me.

**SaSSy**

If I do change relaxers, what's a good one to use.

I have 4/a in the back, and 3/c in the front.
My hair grows faster in the back then the front

Traycee

From my personal experience, switching relaxers can cause excessive breakage. Especially if you are going from no lye to lye. If I knew back then, what I know now I would stretch at least 3 months before I attempt to change relaxers. I switched from Optimum to Elasta QP and experienced breakage. My sister used Just for Me for years on her hair and switched to Motions and she had EXTREME breakage. All of her hair literally fell out. Just be careful. But some ladies hair can handle all of the switching, but not me.

This is so true.......

yodie

I used Precise. My stylist swore by it. My hair became very dry and broke, BUT, my hair breaks from ALL relaxers.

From what I hear, Precise works for a lot of people. Just didn't do much for me.

I'm a Natural girl!

lana

I use Mizani No-Lye and it works just fine for me but I'm a 4a and I texlax. That means that I don't let the relaxer process for the full amount of time to straighten. I like thick hair that is easy to straighten, so I texlax. Relaxers thin my hair out so I no longer relax for the full amount of time.

I hope you stretch for as long as possible (up to 3 months would be great!) and then touch up with a new relaxer for way less time. Overprocessing your hair can cause thinness and breakage. :nono:

**SaSSy**

Is Just for Me a better relaxer to use, I don't want to texlax, so that's not a option for me. I just want a relaxer that is not so strong.

It's been 10 weeks since I had a relaxer. I went to get my hair wash and set yesterday and the lady said I need a perm! haha I'm pushing it until at least 12!

tld723

Just for me actually dried my scalp out horribly! My aunt, who is a hairdresser said that it is actually a very strong relaxer. I personally use the one with olive oil ( can't think right now, I'm old :nono: ) and I only leave it on a few minutes.
Tami

tarheelgurl

I have changed relaxers before. I don't know but I think as long as you don't overlap and you condition the already relaxed hair, you should be ok with switching relaxers. But then again, like I said I don't really know.

sareca

I'm "trying out" a new lye relaxer (Silk Elements). I touched up a small section of hair with SE and the rest with my regular no-lye relaxer (Phyto Index I). I'll monitor the test section for the next 3 months (until my next touch-up). If it's still strong and looks healthy I'll do my entire touch-up with the new relaxer.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=209709

It can be risky switching relaxers, but I think using this method will help decrease the odds that you'll lose a lot of hair.

Last edited:

ekomba

I use Mizani No-Lye and it works just fine for me but I'm a 4a and I texlax. That means that I don't let the relaxer process for the full amount of time to straighten. I like thick hair that is easy to straighten, so I texlax. Relaxers thin my hair out so I no longer relax for the full amount of time.

I hope you stretch for as long as possible (up to 3 months would be great!) and then touch up with a new relaxer for way less time. Overprocessing your hair can cause thinness and breakage. :nono:

I use Mizani too. so far i like it. i did use Affirm too 2 months prior that Mizani but i found my hair is fuller with the Mizani. Just make sure you dont overlap to avoid breakage. i did switch relaxers in a 2 month frame though

cicilypayne

^^^are you taking pics in a public bathroom... girl i see that urinal in the mirror!!! :lachen:

dang... 12 years? i think i'll be there in 2-3 years (meaning, i'm guessing from my BC to MBL it'll take me 5-6). :look:

I know it looks terrible I tried to crop it out but couldn't its my salons bathroom its a unisex salon and my hair is all weaved up so I take a pictures after my wash and before I get rebraided.:grin: I always go in the bathroom because I know it would like 50 thousands question about it from the peanut gallery... they think I'm crazy for thinking my hair will grow past shoulder:nono:

Inches411

i just recently switched from no lye to a lye relaxer and I havent noticed any excessive breakage thus far. Just my two cents. Well see how it goes over time.