My Salon Visit on 02/20/09 (Help!)

sexylonglegs

I hate to be long winded but I have to tell my story. Please offer any advice or knowledge. (Pictures coming soon)

It's been 17 months since I had a full relaxer in my hair per I had been wearing sewn in weave to give my hair a break and allow it to grow. My beautican who would do my sew in would charge me 175.00 every 3-4 months and I would buy Lugo's human wavy hair 235.00 bucks but hair would last and last(Loved it) but time to move on now.:yawn:

Anywho, I found Salon close to home and for a full relaxer was 80.00 dollars. I was so ready to start taking care of my hair and to actually feel my scalp again.

My appointment was at 10:00 am and she started on my hair at 10:20am so I have to admit she was Fast

Now I had already told myself I was going to straight to the point and ask as many questions as I wanted to since I had so many bad experiences.

Before she even got started I said do you base my scalp and edges and do you apply relaxer to my edges last and she said yes:grin:, Great first start. I did notice she was kind of rough but I put up with it.

She applied the relaxer really fast and let it sit on my head for 15-20 minutes but my ends were underprocessed and she said for me to come back in 3 weeks and she will run the relaxer through on my ends only,,, Hmmm:wallbash: not sure about this but she said it was no charge:ohwell:..

After relaxer she rinsed with warm water and I said should the water be a little cooler and she said she wanted to get all the relaxer out so I said,,, OK:perplexed..She began to neutralize 3 times and massaged very well but still a little rough

After she turned the water off I said , Do you need to use a wide tooth comb since my hair is fragile after the braids and she said my hair is fine but I will use a Wide Tooth comb for you..

She ran the conditioner through and placed my hair under a plastic bag and put me under the dryer for 10 min and allowed the conditioner to stay on an additional 20 min just wearing the plastic bag:yep:after dryer stopped.

After that we headed over to the chair so she could cut and before she could even get started I said, I would like to see exactly how much your cutting and she seemed a bit impatient so I said, I am sure you can understand and she did.

Some of my ends were really damaged so I let her cut 1 1/4 inch off :nono: but it's all good.

I told her I don't want my hair to be heavy with oil and that I want it to be bouncy so she combed it back after cutting and placed me under the dryer for 15-20 minutes and then blow dryed my hair.

The ends of my hair were underprocessed. My ends looked like wavy texture but my roots were straight. She said my ends were damaged and eventually will need to be cut:nono:( Damnn they always want to cut) but I disagree.. I think with tender loving care my ends will be fine. I'm not sure what kind of flat iron she used (high temp of 450)but it got my ends pretty straight.

Not really sure where I am with length but I am guessing close to APL..

This is what was done if my story was a little confusing.

Relaxer- Affirm Fibergard
Neutralize-3 times
Conditioning Protein treatment-10 min under dryer,20 min with plastic bag
Ends cut-1 1/4inch
Flat Ironed

To protect my hair from this point I will be doing protective styling. So no heat or flat irons.

My hair regimen once a week

Keracare (Dry Itchy Scalp shampoo or Moisturizing Shampoo)
Keracare (Dry Itchy Scalp conditioner or Humecto,plastic bag 20 min ,Hooded dryer from sally)
Keracare (Leave in Conditioner)
Keracare foam wrap
Chi Silk Fusion
Keracare Oil Sheen
Once every 2 weeks I will use the Aphoghee 2 min reconstructure and always use the Keracare leave in conditioner)
Once every 2 weeks use the Aphoghee green tea reconstructure
Air Dry or Hooded dry
Damp Flat iron (Chi or FHI flat iron)
Wrap Hair
Wear 100% Human hair wigs, half wigs and full lace wigs

(SELF RELAX EVERY 12 WEEKS OR STRETCH LONGER IF I CAN, AFFIRM OR MIZANI BUTTER BLENDS)(I might go back to this beautician to apply my relaxer depending on what you guys say, She said to never go past 8 weeks but you ladies know diffrently...

Thanks for reading and any thoughts or advice is helpfule ladies

yvette

She sounds a bit nutty to me. First of all, I would never patronize someone that is impatient with me or my hair. I just don't believe in spending MY hard earned money and not getting what I want.

Second, you are NEVER suppose to put relaxer just on your ends. Any good stylist knows that you apply the relaxer to the roots and smooth out. Now, if your ends are not that straight, I would wait a while before I put another relaxer on my hair. If you can do roller sets, braid outs, whatever, so you don't have to get more relaxer put on your hair so soon.

Third, back in the day, stylists would tell clients not to go longer than 8 weeks between perms. I use to follow that myself, when I was in high school. I just got a perm Thursday and it had been 24 1/2 weeks since my last one. Oh, my hair has grown and my ends look good, even my stylist said so. Course I was able to manage this by wearing buns and having a sewn in weave for a bit, but it can be done.

Fourth, the whole cutting issue. If it were me, I would trim my own ends, I wouldn't let her do it.

Also, you might want to look around in your area for another stylist. What people don't understand is that you are entrusting your crown and glory to someone, so like any other job opening, stylist MUST be interviewed PRIOR to you letting them work on your hair.

sexylonglegs

Thanks for your response yvette

I guess your right that she should have combed the relaxer through to the ends but she didn't..

My scalp was a little sensitive so maybe that's why she didn't do it. Maybe this why the ends were underprocessed...:ohwell:

To get my ends straight, I guess I will need to wait as long as I can before running it through to the very end again. 12 weeks or longer

yvette

Yeah, if I was you, I would NOT go back and get her to process your hair again. But that's just me.

Good luck!

blessedandlucky

i wouldn't go back to her. she doesn't seem very knowledgeable about relaxers and i agree with yvette. i also don't like that she was so rough with your hair. that's just inconsiderate. i mean, would she want someone being that rough with her. you are attached to that hair. also, if the appointment is at 10am, then she needs to start at 10am. i have a huge pet peeve about that. we don't have to accept that. our time is valuable.

sexylonglegs

Thanks Ladies for the advice a

Well it didn't take much convincing for me to find another stylist.. I won't go back to her at all.. Oh well 80.00 bucks down the drain.. :(

Going to take care of my ends and hair from this point on...and interview another stylist

Last edited: