My scarf is making me go bald!

Rezgirl

Sooooo.... I wrap my hair up in a big triangle satin scarf at night. I'm kindofa wild sleeper so i try to tie it snuggly - otherwise it just comes right off. I have a satin pillowcase but my hair is long enough that if I just rock the case, I got hair all on my neck , in my mouth, just all over.
Anyway, the other day I noticed a little thin patch, right above where a widow's peak would be, you know, right on the hairline. It was sore and pretty thin - little bit of stubble. It's located right where the knot from my scarf is, in the front. The scarf is big enough that I wrap it around the back then tie it in front.
So what do I do. I tried to do sleep caps but that flies off b4 im even asleep. Ive been rubbing shea butter and coconut oil on the spot too. Anyone else have this? I've woken up with a sore knot on my forehead when I rock the scarf too low so I moved the knot up and now I'm going bald! wth!!:nono:

JFK

I had the same problem in the back and someone suggested that I tie my scarf in different places. Not the same area all the time.

amwcah

I feel for you.

Well, what is your bedtime hairstyle? Can you possibly wear pincurls to bed or a high ponytail? I'm thinking this should keep it out of your face, neck, and mouth if the scarf comes off. In this case, you do have the satin pillowcase for backup.

Also, try wearing a silk scarf topped by a bonnet perhaps.

YankeeCandle

aRRRRRGH I just knew this would happen. I've ben getting religious with my wraps and bonnets over the past few months, and after a week or so of using one with elastic at the hairline (to say nothing of the conditioning caps I whole-head baggy with under hats and wigs), I developed an obnoxious pimple-like formation that hurt.

I wish I could float around with a manipulation-free bubble around my head: no pressur eon the edges, no combing, no wraps, no nothing necessary. The Bubble would protect all...

Rezgirl

How do you change the position - sounds like a dumb question right?! But really, I can't like, rock a knot on the side! Its either the front or the back...right? So, just alternate - front and back? I don't doobie/wrap the hair at night, Im on a manipulation "diet" so I just kinda pin it up. I just like to keep it covered b/c it holds the shape better and I don't have to comb or brush as much in the AM.
Hair drama is just CRAZY! lol

iNicola

I can actually say that switching from satin scarves to silk scarves made a big difference with my nape and edges. You may want to switch as well.

Last edited:

Ms. Feliz

What I do is use two scarves, and for the one that I tie at my forehead I don't tie it in a knot, I just tie it once and I don't do it ridiculously tight. Then I put a scarf over top of it and tie it in the back.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Have you ever seen these?

Here's their website: http://www.satinsakks.com/

They are called SatinSakks, they make them for long and shorter hair. They fasten in the back and stay on at night.

Here's my review of them, if your'e interested:

http://newlynatural.com/blog/2009/08/satin-sakks-review/

YankeeCandle

I can actually say that switching from satin scarves to silk scarves made a big difference with my nape and edges. You may want to switch as well.

Do you mean switching from synthetic satin to silk satin? I alternate both--- synthetic satin bonnets from the drugstore with a 100% silk satin PrettyWrap. Same pressure on the hairline and edges either way.

I actually created a thread about this a while back, OP; I'll try to find it for you. It was called something like "Safest way to wrap hair."

Ms. Feliz

Have you ever seen these?

Here's their website: http://www.satinsakks.com/

They are called SatinSakks, they make them for long and shorter hair. They fasten in the back and stay on at night.

Here's my review of them, if your'e interested:

http://newlynatural.com/blog/2009/08/satin-sakks-review/

Ooh I'm so glad I saw this. I'm not even gonna start talking about the time I tried to make a bootleg version by tying the ends of a large scarf together. (I didn't know they made these at the time)

iNicola

Do you mean switching from synthetic satin to silk satin? I alternate both--- synthetic satin bonnets from the drugstore with a 100% silk satin PrettyWrap. Same pressure on the hairline and edges either way.
Yep, that's what I meant. I find that with the satin scarf being more stretchy I tend to tie the scarf tighter than I would with a silk scarf. I have a pretty wrap as well but I hardly use it...the regular ole 100% silk scarf works better for me.

Last edited:

Nubenap22

Or go to some where that has 100% silk scarves and hand wash and air dry them.....I bought mine from TJ Max one for 14 and the other for 16....great investment!!!

sharifeh

hmm try wearing a bonnet on top of the scarf or just a bonnet my scarves only stay on with a bonnet on top

PrincessLinzz

Hey OP, this happened to me. I took rosemary oil and mixed it with a rosemary extract from the healthfood store. I put the mixture in an applicator bottle with the nozzle and used it every night massaging my scalp or rather the widow's peak section and tiny baby hairs are sprouting and shining through...:)

Krullete

Maybe you could try this:

Wear one of these over your hairline beneath the knotted silk scarf, particularly where the knot presses. They are currently on sale for $1.98 and $2.98, respectively (prettywrap.com).

LoveLongLocks

I do a loose bun or twist at the top of the head, and put the elastic cloth head band on.
Maybe you can try another bed time style?

I hope the best for you...these ladies have great suggestions.

ellebelle88

Or go to some where that has 100% silk scarves and hand wash and air dry them.....I bought mine from TJ Max one for 14 and the other for 16....great investment!!!

Is TJ Maxx the only place to get silk scarves from? And does anyone know where I can them from that's a little cheaper?

Nya33

What I do is use two scarves, and for the one that I tie at my forehead I don't tie it in a knot, I just tie it once and I don't do it ridiculously tight. Then I put a scarf over top of it and tie it in the back.

I do this!

JJamiah

I use satin Bonnets and they don't come off, I use to hate waking up in the middle of the night and my scarf is off.

Since I have been using the Satin BOnnet no problems, I am actually digging the other ones the sisters posted above.

JJamiah

Is TJ Maxx the only place to get silk scarves from? And does anyone know where I can them from that's a little cheaper?

Go to the fabric store and get yourself some material it's probably cheaper for half yard compared to the ones in the store, and just narrow hem the edges. :)

Barbie83

This is what i do. I loosely tie the satin scarf over my wrapped hair, and then I tie a cotton bandanna over that. The cotton never touches my hair, but it keeps the satin in place. I'm the wildest hardest sleeper I know! :yep:

Rezgirl

Hey OP, this happened to me. I took rosemary oil and mixed it with a rosemary extract from the healthfood store. I put the mixture in an applicator bottle with the nozzle and used it every night massaging my scalp or rather the widow's peak section and tiny baby hairs are sprouting and shining through...:)

I'm preggers tho so I dont think I can use rosemary :nono: Of course! right...ugh! Luckily I only have like 3 weeks left so Ima start!