My testimony: the power of words

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Hey all,

I really wanted to share something with you. Have you ever felt like God has been trying to tell you something urgently? At the end of September, God really starting dealing with me about my mouth and the words that came out of it. I had been having some issues and I asked God what was going on and He said "Your mouth is the problem".

My life changed the day I heard a powerful message about the Israelites and why their 11 day journey took 40 years because they murmured, griped and complained about everything including the manna God sent. Because they were so ungrateful God sent serpents that bit some of them and those people died.

Horrifying that God would do such a thing but I got the message right there and then I had to stop complaining and speaking negatively about my circumstances if I expect God to handle them or there would be terrible consequences. If I didn't stop saying things that I shouldn't then I wouldn't see the answers to my prayers. Some of them might take 40 years to get answered!

Since then I have been talking to God earnestly about my life and the challenges I face but I have been allowing God to work in my life by checking whatever I say, by bridling my tongue. So that means NO complaining, no gossiping, no negative confessions. What's the point of diluting the power of your prayers by talking about how bad your current circumstances are? If you have enough faith to pray, have enough faith to shut up and let God work, if not you are just wasting your breath praying.

When negative thoughts enter my mind, I say out loud, "no I'm passing this test, God you said ALL things are possible with you so I'm going with that" or some other scripture that clearly states that God is in control and has my back. I immediately feel better and know that an answer to my prayers is coming.

Before I started doing this I would talk to God and ask Him to help me do better at school and I would do a bit better. All last year I was struggling mind you, sometimes barely passing. I had my vision board and was praying but my tongue was doing its own thing and negating all my efforts. This semester, in the last month, I have gone from doing satisfactory work to doing excellent work and the only thing I changed in the last month was focusing on not saying anything negative or complaining about anything.

Because I have seen firsthand what the Bible says about the power of life and death being in the tongue, I can't go back to what I used to do. I like seeing progress. Remember that your words have power in the spirit realm. Of course I am now applying this to other areas of my life...

I hope this helps someone. Stop preventing God from working in your life by saying silly things. Life is much sweeter when you are working with God as a team. There is so much more I want to tell you about what I have found out in the last month but this post is long enough as it is.

God bless and may you live victorious!

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Amen!!! Thanks for sharing!

ETA: I don't want to wait 40 years for something that I could possibly have in a matter of days!

Thanks for pointing that out as well.

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

Amen..we must be sisters because this is the exact thing God has been dealing with me about..Its awesome to be on one accord with God..

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Awesome testimony, indeed... sometimes I know better and don't do better. So thank you for the tough reminder on the power of the tongue...the Christian walk is very challenging at times, but so worth it all!!

Prudent1

Amen and way to go!! I had to learn that lesson on my Christian journey too!! Here are some scriptures that back up your experience.
Luke 6:45
45The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
Anything / everything in you be it good or bad will eventually come out of you.
Prov 18:21
21 The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.
We should never underestimate the power of words. It was with words that the world and all that exists in it came to be.
Look at these excerpts from Genesis
3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light
6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water."7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so.
9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so.
So forth and so on. God wasn't grunting and sweating and carrying on during creation. He said whatever he had in his mind/heart to create and those things came into existence. Because we are made in the image of a divine creator, because as his children we have been adopted into the family, we have inherited this ability to call things that be not as though they were. Don't call poverty if you want wealth. Don't call sickness if you want health. Pastor Dollar put it this way once. If you come home and you don't see your kid but you want him, you call him. He may not appear immediately but he comes eventually. That's how our words are. As long as you are living in right standing with God you have what you say. So glad you decided to share your experience. Our God is so awesome!!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Awesome testimony, indeed... sometimes I know better and don't do better. So thank you for the tough reminder on the power of the tongue...the Christian walk is very challenging at times, but so worth it all!!

You know I was saying to myself the other day that I have to learn some tough lessons along the way but being a Christian is so awesome. It is so much fun. I love having these little conversations with God. Sometimes I admit it's an all out debate but in the last month I just learnt to accept that He knows best and learnt to apply the Word in my life. The Bible is my manual and I have just decided to obey what is written in it. Life is much more pleasant that way. I realised yesterday that there is abslutely nothing I worry about and I love it!

Amen and way to go!! I had to learn that lesson on my Christian journey too!! Here are some scriptures that back up your experience.

Thank you for putting these up. I'll come back and post the ones I use all the time.

Amen!!! Thanks for sharing!

ETA: I don't want to wait 40 years for something that I could possibly have in a matter of days!

Thanks for pointing that out as well.

Can you imagine that? I mean if you don't know that your complaining and griping waste the little time you have is one thing and it's a pity, but when you have that knowledge, it's crazy not to use it to revolutionise your life!