My touchup experience!!

Lindy

Well, I got my touchup today. Everything went well, except that my stylist got cute on me and cut off more than I wanted!!
I was also mad cuz he said my ends look beat up!!! I guess if I'm being really honest about it, he was right. I did have those dreaded see-thru ends, but you know I was trying to hold on to 'em!!!

He didn't cut off much on the front & sides, cuz I told him I'm trying to get my hair to be all one length. He said, Oh, you can do that in about 3 months if you cut the back... I said OHHHH NO!! That's quite alright. When the sides catch up with the length the back is now, THEN I'll cut it all even!! He must be
!!!! Anyway, as a result of this, my hair looks to still be the same length it was at my last touchup!! Oh well. At least my ends should look a little thicker now.

But there goes my summer growth challenge!!
I was hoping to see some progress but so much for that!! I guess i can also count out reaching my goal of bra-strap length by my b-day. I'm gonna try to step up my vitamin regimen - maybe there's still hope for that.

On a more positive note, one of the stylists at the salon noticed how much my hair has grown and asked me what I've been doing different. So I started telling her about the deep conditioning, protein treatments, and twist-outs and she was really impressed!! She looked like she was taking mental notes.

OH another thing that pissed me off was that my stylist said "You women kill me; you all want to grow your hair but don't want to do it the right way." So I was like "HUH??? What is the right way?? He said "Getting regular trims" I said OK, I know that but you want to trim off all the growth I've gotten since the last trim, so how am I supposed to achieve any length???" He claimed he was talking about trimming only 1/16" of the 1/4" we get per month. I was like "WHATEVER, MAN!!!"

So I came home feeling a little discouraged, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from pressing on to reach my goals.

melodee

Lindy,
Keep on moving toward your goals. Remember that you are in control of your hair, and though a little trim is good, having your stylist calling the shots is not. I'm glad you kept him from doing too much more "damage". Don't listen to his comments, just know that it's your hair!

Tracy

Lindy

Think of it this way, ma...you still HAVE the inches you accumulated during the challenge and though your stylist cut off a lot of that
(I'm mad for you) you now have that many inches of HEALTHIER hair to work with.

But honestly, based on his freely admitted philosophy he would nevah. evah. evahevahevahevah come near me with scissors again.

Don't be discouraged Lindy. Your hair may not be longer, but it's not shorter and it IS healthier. I know longer and healthier is optimal but the straw you drew this go 'round was an ok one. Keep on going!

Lindy

Thanks Melodee & Tracy!!

Oh, I hear ya Tracy!! This trip to the salon has really gotten me thinking about these "scissor-happy stylists." They think NOTHING of cutting off your hard earned inches!! And I thought he was so cool, too!! I think that the longer your hair is, the more these stylists want to cut it off!! And especially cuz you can't see the back of your head while they're trimming - before you know it, the damage has been done and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it!!
Oh jeez, I was OK before, but now I'm getting mad all over again!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Does your hair grow 1/4 inch/month or was your stylist making the assumption that EVERYONE'S hair grows 1/4 inch per month. Do I need to come find him

Supergirl don't play 'dat

TwistNMx

Thank you for sharing your mixed experience.
I do feel for you totally. Now that he has CUT instead of trim your ends, you should be fine....oh yeah...fine enough not to see him very often, at least for that (no matter what he says). I had the same problem. The stylists insist on a good style for your hair and when you get home, you realize that a lot of hair was CUT from the back. I'm still trying to even out my sides with the back. It's not easy though because I know that as it is growing, I don't want to cut more from the sides.
Anyway, I have my fiance do it and he's great.
I would get someone I absolutely trust if I were you to do my trimming and explain exactly what you need while making sure they understand YOUR NEEDS. Now, there's my 2 cents

Lindy

Thanks for your input, Ladies. I actually feel better today. I realized that he really didn't cut that much off the back. My hair is still a little curly from the rollerset, so that makes it look a bit shorter too. I knew that my hair needed a good trim anyway. Sometimes it really doesn't make sense to hold on to straggly ends just so that your hair is "longer." What good is long hair if it's not healthy looking?? If my ends had been thick & healthy and he chopped them off, that would have been another story.

I really do trust this guy. I checked my record there yesterday and found that I've been going to him for my touchups/trims for 4 years!! In all that time, this is the first time I've had an issue with him over trimming. He's usually really good; sometimes I even trim my hair again the week after he does it cuz he didn't cut enough!!

So, it may take me longer to reach my goal, but at least my hair will look healthy when I finally do!!!

Tgirl

My husband trims my hair in the back. He likes long hair, so I know he's not going to cut off to much.

ms_kenesha

Lindy I was hoping you had an excellent touch-up day. Well, I'm glad that on closer inspection you do actually trust him. All stylists want to trim your hair every 6 weeks, every mag I read says it and they take it as the gospel truth, but they usually cut like 1/2 to 1 inch every 6 weeks leaving you with the same hair do and length for the rest of your life!