My visit to the trichologist

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I havent posted here in a long while but i wanted to give you ladies some information that is supposed to change the condition of my hair and might help some of you

Well about a month a go I visted trichologist Erkkie Wells in the Miyohara International Salon in the OC (right by South COast Plaza- perfect location) Erkkie is an african american trichologist who has been referenced in Essence a couple of times. Well I went there and she took about 20 hairs including the bulb to be microscopically analyzed. She also went through my diet, exercise and waterintake as well as my health history, she was very thorough

SHe said that she can tell by looking at my hair that suffer from hyperhydrosis. Basically my scalp sweats a lot and the sodium in the sweat dries up my hair and causes the hair to kink up. SHe said this is why i have been experiencing extensive shedding and breaking.

She cut the broken and uneven ends that were the results of my botched texturizing by that bogus stylist a few months back.

A week later she called me and told me the results of the microscopic exam. The tests confirmed I have hyperhydrosis and also some sort of problem where my glands secrete a thick grease substance that clogs my pores. these things in combination with each other have made my hair slowly fall out.

So the diagnosis is to use special shampoos and treatments to control the hyperhydrosis. The products themselves cost about 350 for 3 month supply and the treatments aare about 70 each and she recommends weekly treatments. Oh and I can never relax my hair again.

I did some research online about hyperhydrosis and she seems to be for real. Apparently a lot of black women suffer from it and the treatment products do each total to about 350. It does make sense since I started suffering from severe shedding about 3 to 4 years ago and thats around the same time I started using Drysol- a prescription antiperspirant. I was warned that the product might cause compensatory sweating-- meaning since i wasn;t allowing my armpits to sweat the sweat was going to go elsewhere. SO it likely went to my scalp. This also explains the change in the texture of my hair from wavy to extremely tight. And it also explains why my hair has been so damn dry!

I hope this info can help some of you ladies.

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your condition /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. I am glad to know that you had a positive experience at the tricologist though /images/graemlins/smile.gif. All of my peers kind of taunt me about washing/CO washing after every work-out which is at least every other day and sometimes more. I am just too paranoid about a sweaty scalp, and your story just affirms my paranoia. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I hope you will enjoy being natural. Are you going to transition slowly, or for a little bit then BC?

luvhair

well half of my hair already went through the b/c- the back section. but i am going to slowly cut the front down. I have no idea how i am gonna style it though

webby

Think Slim
Luv, I'm sorry about your hair /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Boy, I wish that she were in NY...I know someone looking for a reputable tricologist.

You don't have to respond, but I was wondering if she's very expensive.

luvhair

she is expensive
the hair analysis it self was 200 dollars. weekly visits are gonna cost me 70 a week. My family has decided to completely support me on this because they think its that important to me so that should help me.

If your friend cant find one I found a website that if you send them 12 dollars and a few hairs with bulbs in a plastic bag then they will analyze your hair and send you the finds and products you should use.

I am still hoping that I can find a site that sells the products at a discount