Name 1 great Haircare tip you've learned

p381

An excellent haircare tip i learned (from a very old thread on here i think it was) is to dry your hair with a T-shirt :clapping: (preferably a Viscose/Rayon one).
Cotton towels are very rough on my hair & i hardly ever use a towel to dry my hair now unless it's just to blot off excess water first, before wrapping my hair in the T-shirt.
You may have read a tip on this forum or maybe got one from a friend.........but name one that you'd recommend.

Thanks for all your replies, in advance.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

#1--Finger detangling dry and wet hair instead of using a comb from Mrs. Chicoro.....:yep:

Others I must give credit to are:
Baggy method
Prepoo to get rid of dandruff
Stretching relaxers

Can't live without them anymore.....:lick:

Most helpful friends:
Kami--rolling hair bwo pincurls
LovelyLiones--advised me to go ahead and get my retouch
Divine--advice on detangling

Last edited:

LaidBak

Sealing my ends daily was the most helpful piece of advice I've learned here. I had no idea about that before.
ETA: OK I can't list just one. Cross wrapping has helped save my ends too.

Last edited:

LynnieB

A really simple but brilliant tip from Chicoro (You Go Girl!) and that is to smooth the hair sections in a downward motion with your hands. I do it whenever I condition/deep condition, after rinsing, whenever I'm doing anything to my hair I always finish up by smoothing down the length of the hair. If I'm working on dry hair then I'll spritz a tiny bit to soften it up then smooth down. I have my hair in 6 sections, I'll smooth the hair about 10 times per section.

Of course you can use acv or porosity control for the same reason but you're sorta limited to wash days and I'm not sure if the effect will last. With Chicoro's way, you're keeping the cuticles smooth not only on wash days but also every time you handle your hair.

I'm not sure she suggests doing her method as much as I do and the number of times I do it but I've been doing this for a couple months and have noticed my detangling sessions have been so much easier to handle (especially my kinky crown and nape area), is smoother and any tangles are much easier to work out.

sunbubbles

If you are short on patience and your hair needs to be done, put it in a bun and WAIT! ( especially with natural hair) Give yourself the time needed to treat your hair like a silk!

some others:
Protective styling
Co-washing/ DC (necessity!)
NEVER detangle dry or loose
ACV rinse
Difference between Moisture, Proteins and Sealers ( oil usage)

If I had known those things,I might have stayed natural the FIRST time! LOL

ETA: LynnieB your hair is the bomb diggity! Im one of your regular fotki stalkers! lol

oooop2

And excellent tip is not the pick the knots off the ends of my hair. It can cause split ends...In the past I had a lot of split ends and I tended to always pick the knots off...

La Colocha

Chicoro's strategic sealing

Water based moisturizer
Oil based moisturizer
Thick emulsified moisturizer

Its sounds like alot but a little bit of each has my hair singing.

And a big thank you to ftrdro for bringing this to my attention.

oreoday99

Best tip for me

Water is your friend.:grin:

I was one of those ladies who was like "GIRL! I can't get my HAIR WET!!" :lachen:

1Aleeesha

Deep conditioning is my friend and frequent washing/conditioner washing is also my friend.

People would ALWAYS say that black people can't do that... I've heard Stylists talk about how you will over condition if you deep condition more than once every 2 weeks... Never made sense because all the while I'd be thinking, "I'm no proffessional but it looks like it NEEDS it" So it just never made sense if I'm reading my hair and that's what it's telling me to do. And now, I love my techniques because of it and my hair loves me too.

temfash

Finger combing, washing and conditioning my hair in loose braids and protective styling, all these fab tips have improved my hairs condition.

If you are short on patience and your hair needs to be done, put it in a bun and WAIT! ( especially with natural hair) Give yourself the time needed to treat your hair like a silk!

some others:
Protective styling
Co-washing/ DC (necessity!)
NEVER detangle dry or loose
ACV rinse
Difference between Moisture, Proteins and Sealers ( oil usage)

If I had known those things,I might have stayed natural the FIRST time! LOL

ETA: LynnieB your hair is the bomb diggity! Im one of your regular fotki stalkers! lol

I totally agree!!!!!

Well some might not agree....but hair grease(IMO) is great for my ends......stretching relaxers, washing scalp(thanks FloweHair), no or low combing(Sylver2 and Lala), extend trimming schedule......use no sulfates shampoo, pre-pooing, deep conditioning on dry hair(Lovely Lionessa)..........

mzcris

one great tip I've received is to sit under the dryer when I condition my hair...each week I sit under the dryer for atleast 15-20 minutes. It has done wonders to my hair :)

alanaj

ACV, tea and cold water rinses
don't use a towel
wet hair more often because a clean scalp is good for hair growth
leave in some conditioner after washing hair

heyfranz

deep conditioning dry hair because it actually absorbs the condish. Duh - common sense should've told me that one. I've learned a lot of what should've been common sense on this board. Also to treat my hair like fine silk. What a foolish woman i was before LHCF

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Stretching My Relaxers 12-16 weeks
Stop the combing as soon as I hate 8 weeks...my hair just likes to be finger detangled under the shower.
I created my own method of detangling.

jaszymeen

dont use any sulfates on my hair. i finally realized as soon as that stuff hits my hair it gets dry & unmanagable like straw

Toy

STRETCHING MY RELAXERS
CONDITION WASH HAS BEEN A LIFESAVER
AND MOISTURIZING ON A REGULAR BASIS

nmomma

Listen to your hair and trust your instincts. If your hair is dry, it probably needs moisture or if it's breaking off, their might be an issue with protein. Oh and most of all, you can trim/dust your own hair without jacking it up and it's okay to not get a trim after every relaxer.